DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Spoilers - Full book and released Show] Tiny Things.

WhiteVeils

On 11/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, WhiteVeils said:

I wanted to make a thread just where people can say tiny little things they caught that might be references to the books or that made them go 'Yes!' from the different episodes.   No discussion here, ideally....that can go in the other threads.  Just little mentions of things you saw that others might miss.

I'll start.

Episode 2:
Mat describing his dream with the bats and how they all had their necks cracked (Referring to the hangman's noose)

I thought this was a reference to their dreams in Baerlon when all the rats in the inn had their back broken.

In Ep 5 Liandrin mentions the persimmons are ripe and later that episode we see Alanna eating one. Not sure there's a real connection to anything in the books but I thought it was a good touch/helped keep consistency. Although, inconsistently, when it was further from the camera it looked more like an apple or peach?

Also, some people have mentioned on other threads that Fain shows up in the crowds in Tar Valon which is a great touch, and that some of the stones passed in the country side might be portal stones.

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Another unneeded change unless they do something with bats later in the show.

Puking up a dead rate would have been just as gross.

Rats mostly live in cities (near humans) - those dreams were originally in Baerlon.

Bats mostly live in the wilderness (or abandoned ruins) - the dreams were relocated to be in the wilderness since Baerlon had to be removed.  And bats are "popularly associated with darkness, malevolence, witchcraft, vampires, and death."

Oddly enough, after rodents, bats are the 2nd largest order of mammals (1400 species types). 

Edited by ArrylT

Anyways back to the topic on hand - some of this was already mentioned in the main episodic thread

But we get 2 instances of Padan Fain

Stones that might conceivably be Portal Stones - but at the very least have old tongue on them.

I liked the fact that Nynaeve got to keep showcasing her herbal lore 

Spoiler

Even if Stepin used her herbs to drug Lan

43 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

Rats mostly live in cities (near humans) - those dreams were originally in Baerlon.

Bats mostly live in the wilderness (or abandoned ruins) - the dreams were relocated to be in the wilderness since Baerlon had to be removed.  And bats are "popularly associated with darkness, malevolence, witchcraft, vampires, and death."

Oddly enough, after rodents, bats are the 2nd largest order of mammals (1400 species types). 

Good point.  I can see the change from that perspective.

Tam's sword has a heron on the scabbard

1516947153_Screenshot_20211203-134308_PrimeVideo.thumb.jpg.6db1c2ccd09f682da042d849b3625061.jpg

I just noticed in this behind the scenes photo from EP5. I hadn't seen it before - I thought that there was only the one. So they do the branding later, this gives Rand something more reasonable to be holding onto instead of the blade itself lol

Edited by mogi68

46 minutes ago, mogi68 said:

Tam's sword has a heron on the scabbard

1516947153_Screenshot_20211203-134308_PrimeVideo.thumb.jpg.6db1c2ccd09f682da042d849b3625061.jpg

I just noticed in this behind the scenes photo from EP5. I hadn't seen it before - I thought that there was only the one. So they do the branding later, this gives Rand something more reasonable to be holding onto instead of the blade itself lol

Someone mentioned somewhere that maybe the heron markings are removed completely or their places are changed because of how difficult and time-consuming the makeup/prosthetics would be in his palms. I have no expertise in this stuff so I don't know how true that is

• Community Administrator
23 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Someone mentioned somewhere that maybe the heron markings are removed completely or their places are changed because of how difficult and time-consuming the makeup/prosthetics would be in his palms. I have no expertise in this stuff so I don't know how true that is

I've mentioned that before.
Earlier explanations for moving it had to do with film and showing the Heron on screen, cause you're not going to see the Heron on the hilt with a hand covering it.

The prosthetics/makeup is another angle to look at. It's certainly possible, but IMO it's probably easier and less likely to fail on the wrist, then on the palm, which gripping a sword is subject to friction...

E.g. a temp tattoo on your palm, wrist, knee, or leg.  The palm will get worn out faster, then the knee, wrist, then leg.

Bringing back to the little things.. some other small ones that I found neat besides the Fain sightings. 

• 16:54 - The faces carved in the stone. Just looked neat
  • 20:25 - Nice shot of the novices in white.. you see them again at 20:39 and 20:54 bowing at the Aes Sedai as the procession passes
  • Anyone else catch the accepted sighting? At 21:23 in the bottom right corner you can see the seven bands of colours on their cuffs and dress. 
  • 31:57 - Valda's ring collection .. 3 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow and can't tell the colours of the other two. 

4 hours ago, Els said:

Bringing back to the little things.. some other small ones that I found neat besides the Fain sightings. 

• 16:54 - The faces carved in the stone. Just looked neat
  • 20:25 - Nice shot of the novices in white.. you see them again at 20:39 and 20:54 bowing at the Aes Sedai as the procession passes
  • Anyone else catch the accepted sighting? At 21:23 in the bottom right corner you can see the seven bands of colours on their cuffs and dress. 
  • 31:57 - Valda's ring collection .. 3 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow and can't tell the colours of the other two. 

Wow nice catch - that was really hard for me to spot - but yay!  Gives me hope they'll talk about all the 3 levels and that Nynaeve will start directly as Accepted, and maybe we'll get either hers or Egwenes Accepted ceremony with the ter'angreal that put them into those other lives.

Episode 4:

The backwards boots in the stirrups...this is a traditional way horses are returned who have lost their riders in a cavalry unit.  It was cool to use it here.

There's a whitecloak inside Tar Valon (it looks like, with a spear, but his uniform is a little different than most whitecloaks), a man with a parrot, and a camel, and several people wearing fezzes, a puppet show, and a seafolk man with a nose ring, and a man getting his head shaved, and of course 3 shots of Fain whistling at least at the start, and more in the parade.

The stones with marks all over them that serve as signposts.  Portal stones? Maybe. 

The faces in the rocks just hinting at all the history you find here.

The book in the Kareathon Cycle with the first picture of a Dragon on it in the library. And of course the Adventures of Jain Farstrider. Both look like Old Tongue writing, it looks like...which might be more related to current "writing". Maybe the alphabet is the same but the words are different?

How the novices all curtsey to the Aes Sedayi as they pass (but other people don't) at 20:40

7 swords over the mantle in the scene where they are dressing Stepin at around 23:00 (and obviously 6 later) and the forsaken statues.

The foam on Perrin's lips after he's been cut and the gag is removed...it makes it so visceral.

How Alanna is eating a persimmon (she confirmed it on twitter).

The slow dawn over Tar Valon I just love.

How Stepin killed himself by stabbing himself in the same spot Karine was speared.

Edited by WhiteVeils

ooooohh so excited to see all the stuff people catch in ep 6! I love this thread.

- I think those were accepted who brought Logain into the hall -- excellent instant visual for how far he's fallen, from taking on large numbers of full Aes Sedai to being handled by two accepted.

- I think we saw the Stone in the opener? And we finally saw the dragon fang on purpose not just dead sheep or whatever (even if it looked suspiciously like spray paint).

- I noticed Alanna's warder saved her a snack after that loooong scene in the hall. So considerate!

- Moiraine and Siuan were purposefully touching fingers under the oath rod where the other sisters couldn't see.

- Siuan had the sniffles when talking to Egwene and Nyneave and her voice was raspier than when she first addressed the hall, I thought she had a cold on first watch but now pretty sure it's because she was crying earlier.

- Loial got to be the one to explain the ways, and given Moiraine finds it necessary to bring him I think he'll still be the person to interpret the signposts inside next episode.

- Foreshadowing for a lot of big plot points including: Logain being studied and eventually healed, Siuan being stilled and deposed, Egwene becoming Amyrlin, and Seanchan stealing ships.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things I have seen mentioned somewhere else:

a stones board on the table in the Winespring Inn. 

the way the tinkers linked arms to block the white cloaks. I thought this was a nod to how the Aiel did this to hold off one of the forsaken so people could flee to safety 3000  years before. It would have been interesting if they had started singing.