DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Spoilers - Full book and released Show] Tiny Things.

WhiteVeils

10 hours ago, Andra said:

I sincerely hope that they do.

Because as it sits right now there's no real indication to non-readers that they are two different things.  And they had a couple of easy opportunities to explain it to the viewers - both in the early episode when Moiraine starts teaching Egwene and in the last episode when she refuses to do the same for Rand - opportunities they completely missed.

In each case, it would have taken no more than a line or two of dialog.  Lines that were in the book, but removed from the show.  With Egwene, it was the explanation that it was male channelers, not Aes Sedai in general, who broke the world.  And it happened because the power they alone touched was tainted and drove them mad ("They were insane, not evil").  With Rand, it was her "can a bird teach a fish to fly?" adage.

Both those statements made it clear that they were different sources, and it was the male source that was the problem, not the men themselves or the Power in general.  And they're gone from the show.

As previously stated, on the one hand the saidin/saidar difference has been established, but only weakly, and as you say in places where there was the opportunity to underscore the difference, it has been ignored.  So I'm closer to your understanding.

It could very well work out like a "curse on men's channelling" rather than "men corrupt the Power"; a slight difference in emphasis.

Another little thing:
In S01E05 when Rand is talking with Nynaeve about Mat outside their room at the in, he makes a hand-wringing sort of gesture expressing how anxious and worried he is about Mat.
In S01E08, in the cold open, right at the very beginning, Lews Therin is making very similar gestures with his hands as he talks, expressing the same sort of anxiety /in the same way/ as Rand. Thought that was cool.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:27 PM, WhiteVeils said:

Another little thing:
In S01E05 when Rand is talking with Nynaeve about Mat outside their room at the in, he makes a hand-wringing sort of gesture expressing how anxious and worried he is about Mat.
In S01E08, in the cold open, right at the very beginning, Lews Therin is making very similar gestures with his hands as he talks, expressing the same sort of anxiety /in the same way/ as Rand. Thought that was cool.

Wow didn't notice that but it makes sense because Alexander Karim(LTT) studied Josha's acting and tried to behave similarly.

I mean the books did have a LOT of mentions of "dry washing" hands when characters were nervous or uncomfortable, and it sounds like Josha got pretty far in them so maybe he incorporated that motion intentionally. Although in the books I think it was more often shifty side characters doing that.

On 1/22/2022 at 7:40 AM, EmreY said:

As previously stated, on the one hand the saidin/saidar difference has been established, but only weakly, and as you say in places where there was the opportunity to underscore the difference, it has been ignored.  So I'm closer to your understanding.

It could very well work out like a "curse on men's channelling" rather than "men corrupt the Power"; a slight difference in emphasis.

I just realized something. Maybe there aren't any two halves of the One Power because it isn't the One Power, but rather the True Power that they are channeling, and all Aes Sedai are darkfriends. #the_children_were_right

Edited by ashi

A few things noted in a re-watch of Eps.7&8:

The voices of Machin Shin sound exactly like the voices Logain hears, just with more malice.  Does that mean the taint on the Ways and the taint on the Power are the same thing?  Or did the show just pick "generic spooky voice" for both?

Throughout the series, Fain's "whistling" has been heard at key times that have something to do with him.  Even though we never see him enter Shadar Logoth, we hear his whistling while everyone else is there.  We hear it in the Ways, just before the trolloc jumps at them.

We don't hear the whistling when we see him exit the Waygate (though the background music may be mirroring it), or at any time in Fal Dara.  Not when Perrin catches sight of him, and not when he comes to take the Horn.

The password Fain uses to get into the keep with his Fades is one of the lines of poetry Lan recites to Agelmar in the book.

In the Ep.8 prologue, Lews Therin is wearing something like a ring that covers three fingers on his left hand.  The "Dark One" has the same thing in his hand at the Eye, and gestures with it (like an angreal?) when he channels.

Edited by Andra

28 minutes ago, Andra said:

A few things noted in a re-watch of Eps.7&8:

The voices of Machin Shin sound exactly like the voices Logain hears, just with more malice.  Does that mean the taint on the Ways and the taint on the Power are the same thing?  Or did the show just pick "generic spooky voice" for both?

That's my working theory. It might even be that the darkness of Shadar Logath and the Taint are the same. Multiple evils is a cool idea in the books, but can be confusing at times.

11 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

That's my working theory. It might even be that the darkness of Shadar Logath and the Taint are the same. Multiple evils is a cool idea in the books, but can be confusing at times.

And Fain's whistle being heard in connection to all three virtually guarantees it.  Or it would if we can expect internal consistency.

44 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

It might even be that the darkness of Shadar Logath and the Taint are the same. Multiple evils is a cool idea in the books, but can be confusing at times.

If so, the cleansing of Saidin would have to be very different.

Also, evil arising out of excessively attempting to eradicate evil isn't that confusing, is it? One might even see it as one of Jordan's themes taken to the extreme.

40 minutes ago, ashi said:

If so, the cleansing of Saidin would have to be very different.

Also, evil arising out of excessively attempting to eradicate evil isn't that confusing, is it? One might even see it as one of Jordan's themes taken to the extreme.

But making them all the same is precisely the kind of thing Rafe might do.

And it wouldn't be all that surprising if the Cleansing ends up being completely different as it is.  If it even happens.

Remember that after an entire season, we still don't have a clear statement in the show that saidin and saidar are different things.

12 minutes ago, Andra said:

But making them all the same is precisely the kind of thing Rafe might do.

And it wouldn't be all that surprising if the Cleansing ends up being completely different as it is.  If it even happens.

Remember that after an entire season, we still don't have a clear statement in the show that saidin and saidar are different things.

Right, I forgot - there is only the True Power, which the darkfriend Tar Valon witches can channel without going mad because they are protected by the Dark One, quite like the male forsaken are in the books, when channeling Saidin.

It is starting to make sense. The Dark One was always the source of the Power channeled during the Age of Legends, and the curse on male channelers is the sin of Lews Therin, who in his hubris sought to challenge him, inherited through time.

(I realize that the above two paragraphs are thematically inconsistent, but no matter.)

Edited by ashi

16 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

The tears in this damane's eyes...

This is a weird one for me.  On one hand it's deliberate and shows they ARE thinking about these details.  On the other hand.  Most damane are accepting or sometimes even happy with their lot in life thanks to being broken down so far and subjected to so much brainwashing and stockholme syndrome.

So unless this particular Damane is going to be shown to be a recently capture Westlander or otherwise somewhat significant I'll be a bit confused over the tears.

51 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

This is a weird one for me.  On one hand it's deliberate and shows they ARE thinking about these details.  On the other hand.  Most damane are accepting or sometimes even happy with their lot in life thanks to being broken down so far and subjected to so much brainwashing and stockholme syndrome.

So unless this particular Damane is going to be shown to be a recently capture Westlander or otherwise somewhat significant I'll be a bit confused over the tears.

I think she just got gold paint in her eyes.?

1 hour ago, KakitaOCU said:

Tears of joy, clearly ?

• 1 month later...

Cool tiny thing: almost all the dresses and shirts in the season have a Japanese kimono collar.  They are all shown with the left half of the shirt over the right half of the shirt, which is correct. In Japan all living people wear their kimonos left over right.  Only dead people wear their kimonos right over left.  I only saw one collar go right over left: The Dark One's.  I thought it was cool.