DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Spoilers - Full book and released Show] Tiny Things.

WhiteVeils

I wanted to make a thread just where people can say tiny little things they caught that might be references to the books or that made them go 'Yes!' from the different episodes.   No discussion here, ideally....that can go in the other threads.  Just little mentions of things you saw that others might miss.

I'll start.

Episode 1 :
Tam al'Thor describing how the Wheel works and how it lets you do it better next time.  (Referring to the events on top of Dragonmount)

Episode 2:
Mat describing his dream with the bats and how they all had their necks cracked (Referring to the hangman's noose)

Episode 1 :
The windows in the ruins/towers shot that makes the landscape look like it's grown-over skyscrapers. 
Episode 2:
The 'cubic' pattern in the walls of Shadar Logoth that also makes it look like it was built by something technological rather than just rough stone.

3 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

Episode 1 :
The windows in the ruins/towers shot that makes the landscape look like it's grown-over skyscrapers. 

I *squealed* loudly when they showed this. I want more of these subtle things that hint at the cyclical nature of the Wheel and that this is our world, it is one of the coolest and most unique things about the WoT setting. Gimme a Mercedes hood ornament! It also made me think of what we might get in Rhuidean AoL flashbacks, one of the things I most want to see onscreen.

Also episode 1, very beginning I liked how they depicted the madness by having a guy who is not there. They could do such cool things for depicting LTT later, I hope they do it in a similar way.

Episode 2:

The Manetheren song and speech. Rand didn't sing along with the others. Just tapped his thigh and said one or two words when they repeated. Focus on sad looking Egwene when Moiraine said that Eldrene draw in too much One Power for any woman to handle. Ouch.

Episode 2:

In Shadar Logoth, the shadow lured Mat to the dagger. When he was examining it, a figure moved past the doorway behind him. I caught that on my first rewatch. A blink-and-miss shot.

Episode 3:

Read this somewhere else. The dead aiel. He had a stone dog figure in his pockets. Reference to the society?

Also, Thom said something about Mat ending up hanging in one of the boxes if he did crime.

Episode 1:  
The male channeler at the beginning could see his "imaginary friend", so we're looking through his eyes.  And he could not see the weaves from Liandrin.  Men can't see women's channeling. The fight at Beltine is primarily seen through Egwene's eyes since it starts with Tom being killed, so she can see the weaves.

Episode 2:

Rand vomiting the bat. What a great way to show him already feeling the taint.  

Episode 3:
The little flash of patches in the lining of Thom's coat.  I bet the coat is reversible, and he uses the side most appropriate to the setting.

[Seeing the main thread for this, that's why I have pulled this stuff separate so readers can read things to look out for without going through all the conversation.  If you want a more indepth conversation on any of these, we can definitely talk about them in the main thread or a new thread for the episode.]

Episode 4

How the opening credits sequence has increasingly more ornate designs and flowers/patterns around the individual Aes Sedai than they did in the first episode - I think we are going to see changes to this sequence throughout the series if they are changing it already, even in small ways.

Mat's bloody hands in Rand's dream 

How the doll the little girl gave Mat was named Birgitte and she wants to see the world

How different the Tinker style of dancing was from Two River Dancing - I hope we at least get a dance in Cahrein in a whole different style.

More on a rewatch, I'm sure.

Episode 1:

"Come on Mat, you don't have anything left to bet." Possibly a reference to 

Spoiler

"betting" his eye later in order to save M.

Episode 2:

(Mat) "They also say the Dragon will have wings, but I don't see a bloody feather." I figure this is a reference to

Spoiler

the heron-marked blade?

Episode 4:
How, multiple times, Mat's horse reared and acted scared while he was riding it.  Probably why Thom decided Mat was a channeler. It would be very intimidating as an actor to be on a horse that is acting scared like that, I'd think.

Rand identifying the grip of the farmer's bow. It is actually a 'bad movie' thing to show the bow being held with the fist like that, so Rand identifying it here is good, and the farmer really was holding it badly. 

The Warder stories of Lan falling off the horse.  I noticed some criticism about Lan's riding in the first and second episode, that he was too stiff and couldn't ride well.  Here, the warders take that observation to heart to say that Lan, while very skilled, isn't the most perfect rider in the world either.

Episode 4:

Apparently there are columns in the cave with Logain that have writing on them - but I have not verified this myself - just something I've heard.   If this is true, wonder if it is in the Old Tongue.

---

Not sure how I missed it the first 2 times - but that is one of the great things about this show is that there is always something new to parse & theorize about. 

Edited by ArrylT
now verified

Guest Wolfbrother31

Episode 3 "You can't outrun a Fade." -Direct line from the books.

Episode 4 had a lot of great material...

Nyn saying Liandrin is a snake & "is the white tower full of women like her?" Lan, "You'll see soon enough."

Spoiler

Multiple books of Nyn hunting black ajah

Lan's mention of Malkier's 7 towers & then he pours his bowl of water onto the ground in the shape of a wheel.

Spoiler

Hint that he's Malkier's last king & they'll come back?

Alanna saying, "One Warder would never be enough." - Shout out to Greens. 

The Fade catching Thom's ?️ - love how that shows how fast they are.

Got this one off of Twitter, and it's brilliant.

Episode 2:

The statue in Shadar Logoth near where Mat find the dagger is that of Mordeth. It has the dagger tucked behind the belt and it's clearly the same one Mat finds. (You can zoom on his belt)

FFTI1iiXIAQXwWL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by WhiteVeils

17 minutes ago, mogi68 said:

Multiple ways to handwave this.

1. Her weaves generated visible light

2. She is ta'veren and Logain was seeing this

3. Logain did not see the light, but felt physical force being emitted during Nynaeve's channeling (her hair was flying upwards super saiyan style afterall)

Could also be as simple as he just watched her insta heal 12+ people of mortal wounds without showing any signs of wear or exhaustion.

If he has any type of the hangups other channelers have about how much strength a certain ability "Has to have" he could easily misread that as her channeling immense amounts of power vs the she uses all five threads and heals differently from normal methods.

On re-watches I've seen subtle hints of ta'veren in Rand - but maybe while we havent seen ta'veren it seems like we're getting subtle hints of luck every episode involving Mat (remember luck can be good or bad)

Ep1 - bad luck die roll

Ep2 - luck finding the dagger (whether it is good or bad hehehe)

Ep3 - good luck finding the jewel with the Aiel 

Ep4 - luck finding the Fade in time to escape

I mean yes the dagger had something to do with it - as well as Thoms sacrifice - but what would have happened if he hadnt had the dagger help him point out the Fade ... 

I'm not saying its overt, just subtle nods to Mat  and luck.

4 hours ago, ArrylT said:

On re-watches I've seen subtle hints of ta'veren in Rand - but maybe while we havent seen ta'veren it seems like we're getting subtle hints of luck every episode involving Mat (remember luck can be good or bad)

Ep1 - bad luck die roll

Ep2 - luck finding the dagger (whether it is good or bad hehehe)

Ep3 - good luck finding the jewel with the Aiel 

Ep4 - luck finding the Fade in time to escape

I mean yes the dagger had something to do with it - as well as Thoms sacrifice - but what would have happened if he hadnt had the dagger help him point out the Fade ... 

I'm not saying its overt, just subtle nods to Mat  and luck.

Episode 1: Mat running past several trollocs without being attacked

I shall file this under 'Guide to Rewatch the Episodes'.

There are moments when I have been smiling without realising it, but my guy caught me and then starts to question without wanting to know the answers. That's my little thing, and it has nothing to do with any really bit of the show.

I think I did that when Lan and Nynaeve have their conversation after Liandrin leaves.