DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is re-reading The Eye of the World?

templar7

• Community Administrator
23 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I’m not sure. Was told I missed a joke, but my feeble mind fails to grasp it…

There may not even be a test as those are unfair

The year 2020 lasted approximately 10 years. The Month of January 2021, was at least 65 years long.

6 minutes ago, Guire said:

Have read New Spring, EotW, and a bit into TGH in last week. I am going to really miss Elyas and the Green Man if they are cut.  I think the Green Man scene killing forsaken would be amazing on screen.  

I wish I could re-experience the books for the first time. There's such a journey ahead of you.

I think I read the books 4 or 5 times back in the day up to Knife of Dreams.  Started reading right when A crown of swords was released and would always reread the series before a new book came out.  The Sanderson books are the ones that would be hazy in my mind since I never reread them.  

That said, I have read enough WOT in my life.  Alot of my lofty expectations for the series were a bit tempered by the last 5 or so books.  Some of the mystery of what would have been if RJ had finished the books will never be known.  that said I am so grateful that Sanderson finished the books so promptly.  

I used to participate in the re read events on Tor.com and also glance at encyclopedia wot whenever I want to know something.  Now that I know the ending to the series though I just have no desire to go back and reread so many pages. 

I am actually excited the TV show will change things up so I can have a new experience.

Edited by Pandemonium

1 hour ago, Pandemonium said:

I think I read the books 4 or 5 times back in the day up to Knife of Dreams.  Started reading right when A crown of swords was released and would always reread the series before a new book came out.  The Sanderson books are the ones that would be hazy in my mind since I never reread them.  

That said, I have read enough WOT in my life.  Alot of my lofty expectations for the series were a bit tempered by the last 5 or so books.  Some of the mystery of what would have been if RJ had finished the books will never be known.  that said I am so grateful that Sanderson finished the books so promptly.  

I used to participate in the re read events on Tor.com and also glance at encyclopedia wot whenever I want to know something.  Now that I know the ending to the series though I just have no desire to go back and reread so many pages. 

I am actually excited the TV show will change things up so I can have a new experience.

Yeah, rereading the whole series again.  On Book 2 right now.

Started reading my old paperback copies, then decided to go out and buy the full series in hardback ? 

I don't even remember how many times I have read them - but I enjoy it immensely every time I do.

Even if all this series on TV has done is prompt me to read the books again - the REAL story - that is good.

22 hours ago, Maximillion said:

I don't even remember how many times I have read them - but I enjoy it immensely every time I do.

Even if all this series on TV has done is prompt me to read the books again - the REAL story - that is good.

Same here. I actually started my (30th? ... lol) reread a few days ago. Mostly because we have loadshedding (scheduled power-outages) again so had nothing else to do, but still.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Rand the Plumber said:

Same here, I did a re-readlisten between 2017 and 2019 on commutes and road trips.  I can't praise Kramer and Reading highly enough for the quality and consistency of their performance.  Yes, there are some howlers in the pronunciation here and there, but it isn't jarring once you've become used to it, and it remains consistent within that book.

I've listened to quite a few audiobooks, and I always pick up things in the listening that I pass over in the reading.  WoT was no exception.  I was going to start another listening marathon, but I'm not sure whether that would cause a bit of cognitive dissonance with the TV series.  I'll see how the first season goes.

tara-boner is my favorite audiobookism

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to re-read EOTW with the goal of finishing by the end of the year - honestly I am being kind to myself by giving such a long deadline for a couple of reasons.

1 - Other hobbies 

2 - Spending so much  time on WOT show content

I honestly had no clue how much WOT content was created with the announcement of this show - this ties into my post on another thread - if this show can last 6-7-8 seasons, by the end the volume of content on YT, twitter, websites, etc will be so large as to give further evidence to the next network that feels - hey this has a large enough built in audience that yes we can do WOT again some day.

If it wasnt for those - I'd probably have the book read within a week since I have a voracious appetite for reading.  

Anyways if the show continues for years as hoped for,  I may try to start a trend of reading the books involved with that season with each season.

But for now just going to stick with EOTW for like the 20th read. ??

5 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Having given up on the show.  I will be re-reading the series - eventually.  Right now finishing the first Mistborn trilogy (for the third time) and the will read the second Mistborn trilogy (for the first time).

Might read a few Michael Crichton novels and then back to the WoT.

May I suggest a series to ya?

Schooled in Magic by Christopher G Nuttall 

This guys a monster. He's ripped out 24 books in that series and has another 2 simultaneously. 

Not gonna get as deep as WoT but its a solid read - each book in around 500 pages. Strong female lead and is one of those interesting humans getting sent to a fantasy reality...and how our knowledge can break the world.

Also the Green Rider series by Kristin Britain.

Really love these. she's not as prolific...yeeeeeears between books. But all of them are quality. Has a very devoted fan base.

3 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

May I suggest a series to ya?

Schooled in Magic by Christopher G Nuttall 

This guys a monster. He's ripped out 24 books in that series and has another 2 simultaneously. 

Not gonna get as deep as WoT but its a solid read - each book in around 500 pages. Strong female lead and is one of those interesting humans getting sent to a fantasy reality...and how our knowledge can break the world.

Also the Green Rider series by Kristin Britain.

Really love these. she's not as prolific...yeeeeeears between books. But all of them are quality. Has a very devoted fan base.

I would absolutely love a new fantasy series to read.  Thank you for the suggestions.  I will check out both for sure - never heard of either before.

On my next reread I plan to read the series backwards. 

Have the Dragon Reborn be kinda like Benjamin Button and go from a savior to a boy who knows not the greater world around him.

I think it'll be a new dynamic ? 

It will also be a horror since the dead will be returning to life. ?

7 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

On my next reread I plan to read the series backwards. 

Have the Dragon Reborn be kinda like Benjamin Button and go from a savior to a boy who knows not the greater world around him.

I think it'll be a new dynamic ? 

It will also be a horror since the dead will be returning to life. ?

But Josha isn’t near as good looking as Brad Pitt…

Having read the first 6 chapters now - I feel it gives me a better understanding of exactly why they set the show up as it did.

Going to share a couple of thoughts but no need to respond to them. ?  Nor are they meant to change or alter your own thoughts & feelings on the books - simply things I am reacting to.

Spoiler

Some of the Village Council can come off as chickens/roosters running around with heads cut off -with all their talk and concerns about war - which in a visual media would detract from the feeling of the loss of innocence of the EF5, and the whole village too, after the 40 min buildup of their characters.

Spoiler

Thom Merrilin comes off as somewhat patriarchal when talking about Nynaeve in their first encounter - not to mention a little like an irritated customer in the mall  when we first meet him - I can sort of get that she is probably very tired of all these too young comment which makes her sharp tongue understandable - removing the interaction of the VC/Thom with her allows us to focus on her anger at her villagers being attacked and the disappearance of the 4 others and not her possible resentment of being looked down upon due to age/gender.  

Just to be clear very glad I am doing so - has taken none of my enjoyment from the book so far while allowing me to look at the story from a couple of newer perspectives (including how it needs to work on tv).  

Spoiler

I think if Rand had listened to his father in the Show and ran away at first, apart from really extending the episode, we might think less of him, than Book Rand.   Allowing him to help his father makes him more solid early on for me.

Still going to miss losing Baerlon, but obviously with the way WhiteCloaks are perceived - plus Min would make it too spoilery early on.  

In the end, and maybe you'd disagree, but I think books / storytelling are better at allowing us to immerse ourselves into the world.   The visual medium, being a modern medium, gives a more of a looking through a portal into a different world vibe, which means more of our culture permeates our interpretation of what we are watching.   Guess that comes from TV being a more passive medium whereas reading is a more engaging medium.

But thats just how I feel after having watched 4 episodes versus re-reading at the same time. 

Re reading the whole series, and at Winter's heart I've started skipping eps. I remember the lagging in that book - how many eps does it take to tell Faile has been kidnapped and Perrin is looking for her... The guge number of PoV was always a problem with these books - and the splitting of the party to pieces - but then again, the sheer volume of events in this world is impressive - there's no way the TV show can cover even a 10th of it - too bad.

At least the long descriptions of clothes and landscapes can be a single image now and not 1000 words...

Somebody wrote in another thread that the characters spend too much time staring at the view - definitly not someone who read the books, where there are whole pages doing nothing else.