DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is re-reading The Eye of the World?

templar7

I'm re-reading the relevant chapters after each episode, for the first time since I switched to the audio books many years ago.  Pretty neat to be reading while the audio book voices are in my head.  On the other hand, it's been detracting from the tv show because the actors don't sound like the voices I've heard for years.

I've gotta plug the audiobooks also, the readers are just fantastic.  Also, I forgot how heavy the hardcover is!

I mentioned in another post that I read Eye of the World when it was published and have re-read everything each year since (at a minimum) .  I think there have been several years when I've read the set twice.  I just finished my last re-read about three weeks ago (in preparation for seeing the TV series).  I also re-read McCaffery and once in a while Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series.

I have to admit I've never listed to the audio but what I'm seeing on here tells me I should....

On 12/1/2021 at 8:51 AM, Deviations said:

I mentioned in another post that I read Eye of the World when it was published and have re-read everything each year since (at a minimum) .  I think there have been several years when I've read the set twice.  I just finished my last re-read about three weeks ago (in preparation for seeing the TV series).  I also re-read McCaffery and once in a while Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series.

I have to admit I've never listed to the audio but what I'm seeing on here tells me I should....

We've been listening to the new audiobook narrated by Rosamund Pike. It’s really nice to be able to enjoy both versions of the story in parallel like this. The show is giving me new appreciation of the details of the book. 

16 hours ago, JenniferL said:

We've been listening to the new audiobook narrated by Rosamund Pike. It’s really nice to be able to enjoy both versions of the story in parallel like this. The show is giving me new appreciation of the details of the book. 

Wow, I didn't realise that was a thing. I've never liked audiobooks (WoT or otherwise), but I may have to give that a whirl.

I meant to do a sequential re-read, but I've mostly been reading chapters (or entire plotlines... and all of NS... and most of ToM) after looking up references from the show. I read most of TEotW last year, so perhaps I'll just pick up there.

I don’t have time to re-read, and it’s been about 10 years for me.  One thing I immediately caught that surprised me is when Moraine recites the AES Sedai code, she doesn’t mention that the One Power can be used against shadow spawn and darkfriends.   Why would they remove that?  Also, I don’t remember anything about the Whitecloaks burning Aes Sedai at the stake.  It seems highly improbable that a questioner could capture and kill seven separate Aes Sedai and survive himself, especially with the casual way he approached Moraine.  Lan would have killed him and who knows how many more before they could even touch her.  And if they don’t use the one power to shield, how could they capture and hold an AS?  In the episode 2 scene they cut off her hands, but I don’t remember anything from the books indicating that the AS need their hands to channel.   That whole approach seemed lazy to me.  

22 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

Yup... Since I gave up on this...whatever, I'm going over the books fir the umpteenth time.

WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg

I loved that cover but my copy is getting old and frail. I splurged a few weeks back and bought one of modern larger tv tie-in paperbacks that depicts Moraine at a waygate on the cover. I was surprised to discover that it contained the "Earlier: Ravens" prologue, which was missing from my other copies. Yay! Bonus! ?  

Edited by ManetherenTaveren

8 hours ago, Trigotan said:

One thing I immediately caught that surprised me is when Moraine recites the AES Sedai code, she doesn’t mention that the One Power can be used against shadow spawn and darkfriends.  

I thought I'd just zoned out on that part! So it really is missing?

13 hours ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

I loved that cover but my copy is getting old and frail. I splurged a few weeks back and bought one of modern larger tv tie-in paperbacks that depicts Moraine at a waygate on the cover. I was surprised to discover that it contained the "Earlier: Ravens" prologue, which was missing from my other copies. Yay! Bonus! ?  

I am hoping to get that for Christmas myself.  I certainly like the original cover - but really like the new cover and now knowing it will have the extra prologue - nice!