DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E3: A Place of Safety

SinisterDeath

48 minutes ago, Meskell said:

The Tinkers being immediately threatening and forcing the repeat of their words almost under threat of attack was very odd. 

Agreed. That felt uncharacteristic of them.

5 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

Sure, but he was still friendly and charming, not a hateful jerk with an awful family.

I think Mat was fine (not very impolite and somewhat humorous) in episodes 1-2 and begun to show dagger sickness in the end of 3.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I'm glad some of you are liking it.  Overall was extremely disappointed through episode 3.  The stuff they cut, the stuff they added, the stuff they changed.  I liked very little of it.  Don't know if I would have liked it better without the book background.  Will probably watch all 3 episodes again to verify my first impression.  But right now episode 4 may be make or break for me.  ?

You're 100% allowed to feel disappointed. 

If you find you can't finish the series, my suggestion is to wait until December 24th, and binge the whole series. I believe that'll either make the series or break it for ya. ? 

4 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Agreed. That felt uncharacteristic of them.

I didn't feel like they were threatening. If anything, Egwene/Perrin were the most hostile ones. And... they made Aram the reasonable one who saw they had no idea what was going on! lol

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

I didn't feel like they were threatening. If anything, Egwene/Perrin were the most hostile ones. And... they made Aram the reasonable one who saw they had no idea what was going on! lol

They seemed more weary to me like they were just going though the motions.

Spoiler

As a long-time believer in the Aram is the tinker from the darkfriend social theory.

It is possible that each group was met or introduced to  a darkfriend in this episode.

- Liandrin

- (In theory) Aram

- Dana

4 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Surrounding strangers with vastly superior numbers is threatening.

yeah and it was almost like they came out of nowhere. dont forget the big dogs barking and carrying on as they approached. It was easy to see both Egwene and Perrin were scared and the Tinkers did nothing to ease the tension. Also, the reply was "Your welcome warms the spirit" or whatever... I was thinking "what welcome" they didnt welcome them at all. They just asked if they knew the song.

I'm really missing the authentic WoT curses! The modern ones they're using feel out of place.  "You are such a prick!" ?  I think "Burn you!" would have sounded so much better. The world needs as much character as it can get, even if it's a bit silly every now and then.

I liked the nature of Mat & Thom's interaction in this episode, even with the thievery. I'm not sure that book Thom would have gone out of his way to bury a dead man in a cage, or get himself involved in a villages affairs like that, but I think that his character fills a niche that is sorely needed. I'm excited to see their adventures together in Season 2

I know a lot of people liked the 3rd ep most, but for me it was weaker than the first two (or maybe I was just very sleepy because it was past my bedtime). Still had it's moments though, I'm not mad about it just think it has room to grow.

Pros:

- Unlike others, I actually find Mat a lot less annoying on screen than I did in the first few books (he grew on me later, don't worry). He's more vulnerable which makes it clear some of his humor is just masking fear, and I find his humor to actually be decently funny. Lol'd when he was trying to get Rand to give him his warm coat while hiking (although it's sunny and they have been hiking uphill, would be more accurate for him to ask on the way down but that's some extreme detail nitpicking from me).

- Thought the darkfriend was interesting and they did a good job catching me by surprise with that. I agree with others that giving the darkfriends more motivation and characterization early on is a good thing. Her dialogue had too much exposition but I still preferred it to the interaction Rand and Mat have that's most similar in the book, where the darkfriend is some rando lady that we are inexplicably supposed to find scarier than fades and trollocs.

- Enjoyed the meeting of Liandrin and Moiraine at the end. M hit the nail on the head with the combo of exhaustion and respectful yet clearly frosty greeting.

- I don't like the change to Perrin's backstory but the actor is definitely doing well with it. When Egwene tells him it's not his fault, the look on his face made me tear up.

- first peak at Logain! He's looking delightfully unhinged

Cons:

- friend's comment was "someone needs to put the glee in the gleeman" which I agree with. I think he's gonna be a good character and no issues with the acting, but I don't think he's the same Thom as the books. Also getting lone cowboy vibes a lot more than former royal bard vibes. Although did love the TV interpretation of the cloak!

- The Nyneave/Lan interactions while Moiraine is unconscious felt weird to me but I can't put my finger on why. I like both of the actors a lot in other scenes so I'm hoping that won't be representative of their on-screen chemistry, otherwise yikes

- Without Elyas I don't find the tinker interactions particularly interesting

- Why in a tiny run-down town in the back of a grimy depressing pub is there an adorable AirBnb room with conveniently reinforced doors

Edited by ForsakenPotato
typed the wrong character name, thanks zacz1987

13 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

not sure I dig Thom's singing. surely I am not the only one 

I was disappointed with Thom, too.  Although that said, I do think that he is well acted.  I am wondering whether we will see that Thom is actually being the consummate showman, and suiting his style of dress, his voice, and his choice of music to the places where he is plying his trade.  I hope that we will see more of the bright colours when he is in a brighter place, and perhaps, when he is in a town with a middle- or upper-class, his voice will become more polished too.  That's my hope, anyway.

I really enjoyed this episode.  Still in the "good, but not great" category, but pushing toward the top now.  The two stand-outs for me were Nynaeve, who was fantastic, and Matt (he's growing on me again) who is starting to show subtle signs that the evil of Shadar Logoth is burrowing into his mind.  Show-Perrin bores me to tears, just like Book-Perrin.

On the whole, I feel that investing three hours into the start of the series was time well spent, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Ok rewatched the episode with my full attention, some random thoughts

• Finally see Nynaeve acting irrationally from anger, attempting to kill Lan. Loved it
  • Absolutely loving Mat. "That's not how roads work" "think she'd be up for that". I said in my premiere reactions that I wasn't thrilled with the elder Cauthons backstory and I stand by that, but it really has given his early books tendency to want treasure/money a good reason: he wants to provide for his sisters. Nice to see that dagger-induced paranoia starting to set in, too
  • Dana was a stand out for me. Always fun to see Darkfriends scheming. "Was it the hair" me: "oh shit"
  • Speaking of surprising standouts, Aram! Really liked him here, excited to see more from him (thing I never said reading the books)
  • "If I wanted a man I could do better than Mat" psh, no you couldn't Rand, hush
  • Thom. Hmm. I liked some of it, but I want to see more. Need to see some story telling and happier songs before I pass judgment.
  • Aiel info! Good opportunity, and also we get our "why are Aiel in the Wetlands" plot line early
  • Rand absolutely channeled there, yeah? To break down the door? Excited to see "feverish from touching the Source" next week
  • Liandrin and Logain! Very cool. I like that we see a contingent of greens and reds in that party, makes sense they'd work together to fight an army led by a male channeler

Think that's it for this episode. I liked it! Pacing felt good which is impressive with our party split in three. Definitely excited for next week

I kinda appreciate they are wary of people at first.  Once they have confirmed that Perrin and Egwene mean them no harm they are super hospitable.  Blankets and food and fire.  Would have been nice to hear some music from them though.  Need some music to go with that song they be searching for.

9 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

I really like that they had Perrin just instinctively know what Rand would do. Those kinds of moments are so important to show the bond between the Two River boys, need to see more of them.

The job of the EF5 actors has been absolutely incredible, especially in their interactions with each other. They've done such a great job of making me feel like I'm watching a real group of friends. I've been completely blown away by all of them

Gonna be honest with you guys - I heard good things about this episode, and I just didn’t see it. The whole darn thing looked YA. I know some of you hate that - I’m not talking content, I’m talking the darned look. Too clean. Too staged. Too colorful. Just can’t get into this world because it doesn’t look real. It looks like sets.

All the main actors are great. But the dialogue is generally cumbersome and unnatural. The DF monologue was cringe. 

Thom was good. I really can’t think of much else. I just don’t see this series becoming anywhere near the immersive experience Thrones was. It just doesn’t feel real. It feels shallow and phony. 

Edited by Beidomon

I just re-watched, and I agree some dialogue felt unnatural. Especially in my opinion with first encounters, like meeting the darkfriend and meeting Thom. People rarely drop monologues about their hopes and dreams or life lessons to total strangers. The later interactions didn't feel as weird to me, and Thom is growing on me despite his differences from the book and the extremely cheesy guitar strum that accompanies him.

What I actually came to say though: I watched with captions this time because of background noise and apparently when Moiraine is mumbling while injured and unconscious she actually says "Siuan". Wanted to mention because I hadn't seen any discussion of that yet.