DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E3: A Place of Safety

SinisterDeath

8 hours ago, TheDreadReader said:

Given how many times the phrase "It's not like in the books" gets thrown about.... weird stuff happens all the time in the books without a lot of logical explanations.

But this is both in the books, and has a "rational" explanation. The Dark One's prison weakens, and he stretches forth his hand to effect the Pattern. It's not coincidence.  Like the slaughtered sheep in the woods, it's a sign for those who can see.

Time grows short...

9 hours ago, Child-Pain said:

I started reading the series at 17 years old in 1997, would reread the series every time a book would come out.  I feel that if Robert Jordan was alive this show would have been made very differently.  Still glad it was made.  

Rafe has admitted that Brandon Sanderson, who advised on the re writes, actively disagreed with decisions that Rafe made in those cases he said he listened to Brandon but generally stuck to what he wanted to do because it made more sense for the story he was trying to tell in the TV series. 

12 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

The song is perfect with Rand standing there and listening. Makes me cry.

I just dont get it, I think it was OK at best. In fact, I think Mat and the group singing Weep for Manetheren was just as talented as his singing. None of them are "Master" Gleeman and former Court Bards either. You can see his performance repeated any time after 12am on a Saturday night at the local bar with a karaoke machine.

15 minutes ago, flinn said:

I just dont get it, I think it was OK at best. In fact, I think Mat and the group singing Weep for Manetheren was just as talented as his singing. None of them are "Master" Gleeman and former Court Bards either. You can see his performance repeated any time after 12am on a Saturday night at the local bar with a karaoke machine.

His voice and the lyrics are powerful and full of emotion. I love it. I'd like to see your local bar if it's full of professional singers.

Edited by DaddyFinn

15 minutes ago, flinn said:

But Thom is also a guy that understands his audience and adapts to it. his performance made sense in the environment they were in. 

I’ll be interested to see how his character adapts to new places as we move forward. 

3 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

But Thom is also a guy that understands his audience and adapts to it. his performance made sense in the environment they were in. 

I’ll be interested to see how his character adapts to new places as we move forward. 

Agreed. I’m happy enough with his performance, a bit scratchy and not particularly amazing but fine. 

The key is the performance in front of a high class audience, if he can raise the quality to match. 

On 11/19/2021 at 2:36 AM, zacz1987 said:

Thom's singing was the only thing I actually liked about the character. His personality just seems so far removed from the Thom in the books that I found it hard to enjoy him.

You liked his singing??  Blood and Bloody ashes !!! I can sing that good and I sound like a wounded mule.    Thom's character is one of my biggest disappointments so far.

4 hours ago, JenniferL said:

Actually, Brandon has been posting on Reddit about how many of his suggestions were actually taken. Not all of them, but it seems like his opinion was valued. 

https://www.reddit.com/user/mistborn/

I would say Brandon is being political as he is a producer, he disagreed with Perrin being married and Matt’s father, 2 pretty major changes. He also acknowledges that the consensus seems to be the first episode is choppy so I imagine behind scenes he is feeling a little unhappy and hopeful it picks up and redeems itself later on. 

It really concerns me that we need to get 3/4 of the way through the series to hit a really good episode. It all feeds into my main complaint which is that TV in general has just become better quality from the very first scene and the old days of a shaky start building to something good are long gone. 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

1 hour ago, rowdie said:

You liked his singing??  Blood and Bloody ashes !!! I can sing that good and I sound like a wounded mule.    Thom's character is one of my biggest disappointments so far.

The actor can actually really sing. That affectation for that song was intentional, whether we like it or not. I hope we hear more songs from him that aren't as rough.

19 hours ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

Think of the mess in the pool she had to clean up afterwards!!  Ugh. Will anyone ever use that pool again???

I found myself wondering about this as well for some reason.  Like, did Nynaeve remember to tell someone before she left or will they find a bloated rotting Trolloc corpse the next time they have a braiding ceremony. ?

When Dana has Rand & Mat cornered with the sword she says: "I see you. At night, in my dreams. All five of you. But only one of you matters."

Five? Does that mean Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene... and Nynaeve? I assumed only the boys & Egwene were the ones they were after, them being ta'veren. So is Nynaeve still a potential Dragon despite being 25?

1 hour ago, notpropaganda73 said:

I am so surprised that some people are annoyed about Thom's singing voice ? 

It is so far down the list of things I want to see from Thom on screen... 

Wouldn't matter so much if there weren't a bunch of other things people are annoyed at.  Death by a thousand pin pricks...

And whose to say what is at the top of a person's list?

2 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Wouldn't matter so much if there weren't a bunch of other things people are annoyed at.  Death by a thousand pin pricks...

And whose to say what is at the top of a person's list?

Ah I hear ya, I remember when I came out of Rise of Skywalker, I steadily got more and more annoyed as my friend and I ran through things we hated about it, and by the end of it I was complaining about absolutely ridiculous things in the grand scheme of Star Wars, but I was so annoyed at the movie that everything was fair game. 

I just find it a bit funny with Thom I guess, his singing was never really something that was prominent in my mind as part of his character. I was more annoyed that we didn't see his big multi-coloured cloak until I spotted the flash of colour on the inside of it on my 2nd watch.

2 hours ago, Vartija said:

When Dana has Rand & Mat cornered with the sword she says: "I see you. At night, in my dreams. All five of you. But only one of you matters."

Five? Does that mean Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene... and Nynaeve? I assumed only the boys & Egwene were the ones they were after, them being ta'veren. So is Nynaeve still a potential Dragon despite being 25?

No, the point is that Ba'alzamon doesn't know which of them it is.

He knows that there are 5 young people that have left Emond's Field

6 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Ah I hear ya, I remember when I came out of Rise of Skywalker, I steadily got more and more annoyed as my friend and I ran through things we hated about it, and by the end of it I was complaining about absolutely ridiculous things in the grand scheme of Star Wars, but I was so annoyed at the movie that everything was fair game. 

I just find it a bit funny with Thom I guess, his singing was never really something that was prominent in my mind as part of his character. I was more annoyed that we didn't see his big multi-coloured cloak until I spotted the flash of colour on the inside of it on my 2nd watch.

His singing/storytelling was very central to his character in the early books.

2 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

His singing/storytelling was very central to his character in the early books.

I meant his singing voice itself. He always seemed more of a performer/showman to me. That doesn't mean that he needs to have a beautiful, smooth singing voice, in my head. 

Like I said, I just find it funny

2 hours ago, Vartija said:

I'd assume that the Forsaken/DF don't know Nynaeve's exact age. After all, Moiraine had to get it out of her personally, and they certainly haven't had a chance to.

15 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

I meant his singing voice itself. He always seemed more of a performer/showman to me. That doesn't mean that he needs to have a beautiful, smooth singing voice, in my head. 

Like I said, I just find it funny

A court bard better damn well have a smooth singing voice.

But I get it not an issue for you.  I didn't have a problem with Rafe going dark with Mat's family.  Other people did.?‍♂️