DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are you rereading the series before the show comes out?

Rose

Just curious to know what everyone is doing because I haven't reread the series in a few years and I'm purposely not rereading it so it stays kind of blurry in my memory to make the changes in the show less jarring. I have a notoriously bad memory (I've been known to forget the entire plot of a novel by the time the sequel comes out a few years later) so I'm hoping it'll work in my favor this time and I'll be able to enjoy the show without constantly noticing all the ways it deviates from the source material. The downside, of course, is that I'll probably miss details and subtle hints, but I know there'll be no shortage of fans analyzing every second of every episode on here and elsewhere if I need it ?

Currently on a re read(via Audible) Ch 8 ACoS at present, one thing i have really noticed this time through is RJs over describing, one that really stood out is early in LoC was the scene of the Andoran Nobles watching him practice the sword, went on and on about the Nobles and i could not have said who was there 5 mins later.

I will be re-reading it after I watch the series.  I'm going to do it the same way I did it with LotR.  It has been close to 3 years since I had read the series when I watched the movies and the only thing I noticed that was different was no Tom Bombadil.  That made me mad because ever since my dad read the books to me I loved that character.  But I didn't get hung up on anything else that was added or taken away because it was far enough removed from my own imagination, which was quite faded, so it didn't get in the way.

I'd like that to be the same with this series.  Because after watching each movie I would proceed to read the book and then it became a fun exercise of, "what did Peter Jackson change."  Now it has been 4 years since I've read EotW and 3 since I last read aMoL.  I hope this gap of time will allow me to enjoy these shows as their own thing separate, yet similar, from the books (as long as the themes and overall plot don't change).

I did the opposite with "The Hobbit" and read it directly before watching the first movie.  I have yet to watch the 2nd or 3rd movie.  Some day I might but I still can't get the opinion out of my head that turning "The Hobbit" into a trilogy was just a money grab.

I might re-read to tie me over after the first series is done. It depends if I really like the show and want to keep immersed in the world.

I know I will have no trouble reading up to book 6. 7&8 are going to be tough to read again and I am dreading book 9, which is where I got lost. I never read the entire series... Even when I had the books. I just couldn't.

Completed my re-read a few months back. Was hoping to time it up with the release, but got through them quicker than anticipated. Once picked up, it’s difficult to put down for me. 

After reading all there is to read on the show, and seeing the trailer, I’m not sure I’d recommend a re-read. Maybe going in with a ‘vague’ recollection of the story would be better than a fresh remembrance? 

3 hours ago, Daenelia said:

I might re-read to tie me over after the first series is done. It depends if I really like the show and want to keep immersed in the world.

I know I will have no trouble reading up to book 6. 7&8 are going to be tough to read again and I am dreading book 9, which is where I got lost. I never read the entire series... Even when I had the books. I just couldn't.

I would recommend finishing the series.  The books pick up again after Sanderson takes over.  Some people don't like him (I do) but anything is better than those middle books.

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I would recommend finishing the series.  The books pick up again after Sanderson takes over.  Some people don't like him (I do) but anything is better than those middle books.

I don't mind Sanderson so much. It's an alright writer ? I think he will get better though. I accidentily started reading a book by him I already had read and I did not notice it until I was 5 chapters in.

1 minute ago, Daenelia said:

I don't mind Sanderson so much. It's an alright writer ? I think he will get better though. I accidentily started reading a book by him I already had read and I did not notice it until I was 5 chapters in.

So you're saying he is not too memorable? LOL

I'm going through the Mistborn books right now.  Halfway through the first trilogy for the 3rd time.  Never read the second trilogy, but they are on my shelf.

I haven't done a full read through in awhile.  I recently grabbed a few of the middle books on audible and started on them.  I think I will hold off on reread of early books til that material is covered in show.  

I have never listened to audiobooks before and took some adjustment.  It's funny that I get some of complaints about Jordan's descriptions now.  I have read series so many times and I read very quickly. I think my brain sees some of the repeated descriptions as blocks of text. 

But man some of the high points read well sure hit the spot.  If weep for Manetheran has to go., I would love to see Pike record it as staged monologue.  I would buy it for sure.