DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are you rereading the series before the show comes out?

Rose

5 hours ago, Guire said:

I  have never listened to audiobooks before and took some adjustment.  It's funny that I get some of complaints about Jordan's descriptions now.  I have read series so many times and I read very quickly. I think my brain sees some of the repeated descriptions as blocks of text. 

You probably already know this but just in case: in the audible app you can speed up the audiobook if it's too slow for you. It's been a while since I listened to the WoT audiobooks so I can't remember if I was speeding them up, but for other books I've listened to recently I usually listen on 1.25x to 1.75x speed (different narrators will narrate at different speeds, I've noticed).

7 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Im definitely rereading them. 

But i do that every year so that isn’t new. lol

I like the parts with Ewenye and Nyenve. Eylane by far the best characters for and being able to enter into dreams 
Mats quite interesting with the being good planning battles out 

9 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

What do you like about the books?

18 minutes ago, Rose said:

You probably already know this but just in case: in the audible app you can speed up the audiobook if it's too slow for you. It's been a while since I listened to the WoT audiobooks so I can't remember if I was speeding them up, but for other books I've listened to recently I usually listen on 1.25x to 1.75x speed (different narrators will narrate at different speeds, I've noticed).

Yea I actually went to 1.25 and it made it more enjoyable.  I may try upping it a notch and see if that's better.

2 hours ago, Pembie said:

I like the parts with Ewenye and Nyenve. Eylane by far the best characters for and being able to enter into dreams 
Mats quite interesting with the being good planning battles out 

If you ever want to try something interesting. Read each character independently. 

So read EotW up to where the party gets split up in Shadar Logoth and from that point forward read through the series from that character only. So rand only, next mat etc. 

Adds to the re-readibility and speeds the story to ludicrous speed. 

Its fun to go to plaid 

Edited by CaddySedai

10 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

If you ever want to try something interesting. Read each character independently. 

So read EotW up to where the party gets split up in Shadar Logoth and from that point forward read through the series from that character only. So rand only, next mat etc. 

Adds to the re-readibility and speeds the story to ludicrous speed. 

Its fun to go to plaid 

I used to have sticky notes in books to do that.  I would read a character through several books then switch over and read another.  I does make rereads seem super fast.

1 hour ago, Guire said:

I used to have sticky notes in books to do that.  I would read a character through several books then switch over and read another.  I does make rereads seem super fast.

Only read certain characters I do find jumping from characters for huge chunks of time confusing to remember what everyone is doing so maybe that is part of it  I was the same when watching game of thrones I had to watch that so many times 

Edited by Pembie

3 hours ago, Pembie said:

Only read certain characters I do find jumping from characters for huge chunks of time confusing to remember what everyone is doing so maybe that is part of it  I was the same when watching game of thrones I had to watch that so many times 

For that reason I understand not wanting to watch the show.  I agree there are moments the books go slow.  Thankfully, I really enjoy the political intregue many people find slow and boring and enjoy many of the characters journeys that I managed to get through them pretty fast.

Have you tried the audio books?  Those actually helped me enjoy the stories even more.

To be fair, I love visual medium so it'll be hard to say the audiobooks will be more exciting than the series. no matter how the series pans out.

The books on the other hand...my brain does not have budget constraints and I can imagine me up some amazing scenes ?

2 hours ago, Pembie said:

I might watch the show when I know overall  story maybe But at the moment I can’t really say it’s any stand out parts for the show Are the audiobooks more exciting and dramatic 

They have a couple great readers with fantastic voice inflections.  Kate Reading and Michael Kramer.  I'm sure you can hear some recordings of the books on YouTube.  Here is the prologue to The eye of the World:

I read every page until book 8. Then I started to skip about everything but Rand's and Mat's chapters. I have done the same thing once or twice before. Other stuff is just not that interesting, especially Elayne and Perrin.. ? I don't think I will finish this re-read before the show.

Edited by DaddyFinn

I don't recommend re-reading it before the show, it might affect your enjoyment. All the little visual details being wrong in the released material so far have been driving me crazy. I think the people who will most enjoy the show are those who have a fuzzy recollection of the specifics and just more of a general sense of the broad strokes of the story.

59 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

I don't recommend re-reading it before the show, it might affect your enjoyment. All the little visual details being wrong in the released material so far have been driving me crazy. I think the people who will most enjoy the show are those who have a fuzzy recollection of the specifics and just more of a general sense of the broad strokes of the story.

Thats Fair, them and those of us who previously excused the game for its deviations and still enjoyed it for being Wheel. I think that should be a litmus test for “should I reread it?”

Play the old game and if you emerge happy from it then you are green lit to read. lol

Edited by CaddySedai
Im garbage at typos while using my cell

9 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

I read every page until book 8. Then I started to skip about everything but Rand's and Mat's chapters. I have done the same thing once or twice before. Other stuff is just not that interesting, especially Elayne and Perrin.. ? I don't think I will finish this re-read before the show.

You might want to try the audio books. It changes the experience. 

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

You might want to try the audio books. It changes the experience. 

I liked the audiobooks but the problem is for me the pacing is slow even sped up lol.

When motivated thousand page books are done in a couple of hours lol.