DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would you want to tell Rafe Judkins about making the show?

3 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

With Mat being who he is, I assume they need at least some strategists.

Nah

Because even in the books, he has some horrible strategy fails.

His biggest advantage is he's the farmer with a stick against a sword master. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

the witcher also had a lot of money, but they screwed up military real bad. it's the only part of that show i didn't like. i didn't watch game of thrones, but i'm told battles also were rendered very poorly there.

for some reason, movies seem extremely reticent to show real military strategy

Words of wisdom here for sure. A big budget doesn't mean quality... by any stretch! Example..? Well. any Micheal Bay movie. And ya, the Witcher had so much potential and resources... Fail!! Ya, enough said.

Money alone wont buy ground floor story building and source dedicated production. And even with both, the production can still shit the bed at the end (Game of Thrones )

You don't need a lot of in-depth real-life military strategy, because 99% of viewers are not gonna be experts of military strategy.  You only need enough that the plans seem to make sense to the average viewer, and have just enough of a suggestive wink at the truth to enable the few who do know about that stuff to suspend their disbelief.  The "brilliance" of a battle-plan is demonstrated to the audience by the dialogue of the characters talking about the results of this or that engagement, or by showing those battles being won while their commanders never face much in the way of personal danger.

30 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

You don't need a lot of in-depth real-life military strategy, because 99% of viewers are not gonna be experts of military strategy.  You only need enough that the plans seem to make sense to the average viewer, and have just enough of a suggestive wink at the truth to enable the few who do know about that stuff to suspend their disbelief.  The "brilliance" of a battle-plan is demonstrated to the audience by the dialogue of the characters talking about the results of this or that engagement, or by showing those battles being won while their commanders never face much in the way of personal danger.

Exactly. The battle scenes in "Braveheart" are excellent examples of this. They give you glimpses of "brilliant tactics" like setting pikes against the cavalry charge, or spreading pitch on the battlefield. The audience understands, "William Wallace is good at planning battles". The rest focuses on what the characters are experiencing within the battle.

yes, this is exactly what i'm hoping to see: something that's good enough to suspend disbelief.

people jumping over shield walls to engage, or masses charging each other disorderly while their leader is acclaimed as a military genius, just won't do.