DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Barmacral

What to keep, what to drop?

5 hours ago, dexterryu said:

They could still keep them as 3 lovers, just not 3 ongoing simultaneous lovers. Relationships end amicably and they remain friends/allies.

That's a really good idea, Dex.  I'm not all that invested in most of Rand's relationships for many reasons that are not necessary to get into here, so I'd have no complaints about it, though some shi

It seems Amazon is planning on basing the first few seasons on a book by book basis.....

Season 1; Eye of the World

Season 2; The Great Hunt

Season 3; The Dragon Reborn

This is fine, since all of these books have enough to keep them interesting, especially if they have some added scenes, that are implied, but not shown in the books.  

There are several books in the middle of the series that can be merged.  

And I would also say that TGS, ToM, and AMoL can be merged into a single season as well.  So the whole of the series could be done in 7 or 8 seasons.

I don't know why so many people believe that they'll censor or omit the Rand three-way relationship.  Not that I would mind, much, since Min is the only obvious choice 😊. But I think you're forgetting that a TV audience is looking for as much titillation as you can cram into an hour-long program.

Let's face it, most of WoT is (at best) a PG-13.  Almost all of the sex and excessive violence takes place off-screen.  In fact, this was one of the things that attracted me to the series in the first place.  As a teenager, I was exhausted by all the overly-adult themes all around me, including contemporary fantasy.  It was refreshing to find this series that felt family-friendly while still telling a grand and epic story (like LotR, with a lot more action).

However, I think the TV series will need every little "gasp moment" that they can find.  And the comparisons to LotR will be inescapable for the first book, as well.  If anything, they'll probably wanna play up these titillating moments a la Game of Thrones.

It's not what I want, but I think it'll be hard to gain a new audience without it.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:05 PM, Maedelin said:

That's a really good idea, Dex.  I'm not all that invested in most of Rand's relationships for many reasons that are not necessary to get into here, so I'd have no complaints about it, though some shi

For most intents and purposes, this is how it was in the books. I don't think Rand ever really spent time with more than one of them at a time for any length of time... and he definitely wasn't "with" more then one at a time.

Really the only odd thing about it, from the point of view of our culture, is that all 3 were not only OK with it but friends with each other.

I'd think concerning the Andoran royal family's stories (Elayne, Gawyn, and Galad)--the STORY that should be dropped is Gawyn's, the PERSON should be Galad.  Make Gawyn's story Galad's.

Sure, Galad doesn't have as much screen time as Gawyn, but Gawyn's story is of a disillusioned warrior becoming the Warder of the woman he loved--unimportant plot-wise, and Gawyn is obtuse and jealous throughout.  I was always frustrated with him--he never saw sense.  

Galad's story is of him joining the evil Whitecloaks, growing up, and then bringing the Whitecloaks to the Light.  We don't see too much of him--(Galad's disappointed when Perrin disappears because Perrin is one of the few military leaders he has ever been able to talk to)--but Galad's a fairly significant leader in the end.

But Galad isn't the crown prince of Andor while Gawyn is.  So drop Galad's name, drop Gawyn's story.

Edited by haycraftd

That's a good idea just sort of getting rid of Gawyn. He really didn't add anything to the plot that matters in a TV sense. I think his plot is somewhat interesting in book form as it muddies the waters of who supports Elaida during the split in the White Tower, making it less of a good/evil scenario, but in the TV series, they can just rely on the complexities of the Aes Sedai on each side to convey the same feeling.

I think what you're describing in general is going to be the direction they'll take - collapsing multiple characters' plot lines into a single character to reduce viewer confusion, a lot like what they did with Game of Thrones. They can also eliminate a whole ton of unnecessary filler without really dumping any important plot lines by not naming and concentrating on every major and minor noble in Cairhien, Tear, and Andor, cutting down on the number of named Aes Sedai Egwene has to scheme around to climb the ladder, and cutting the amount of time watching Elayne try to take the Lion Throne, which just goes on and on and on in the books. Even the books stopped doing most of that at some point. After Rand seizes Illian, you never hear a word about any nobles from that country, because even Robert Jordan had to realize that they're BORING.

I do not think there is much that actually needs cutting, paring back -yes but outright cutting I'm not sure.

I think the more pressing question is character cutting, obviously a lot of the named Aes Sedai etc. could be combined -TV has a different way of describing the scope of the world; we do not need to know everyone's names.

If handled right, then the 3 lovers could work well; it is far enough into the series they will have time to gauge audience reactions and if necessary, adapt.  The books have an innocence about them that IMO most TV audiences do not expect.

1 hour ago, Lethira said:

The books have an innocence about them that IMO most TV audiences do not expect.

It's that very "innocence" that I'm worried might sink the show.  People who are trying to compare this to Game of Thrones are seriously delusional.  Many people joined the GoT band wagon only because of the sex and brutal violence.  I'm not in any way demeaning the actual content of the show (and books), but it's a different audience that will appreciate the almost-Romantic vision of Jordan's pre-industrialized world.  I think many of those people were tricked into liking a fantasy series (perhaps for the first time).  The brilliance of WoT lies in foregoing cheap "jump scares" and "overly mature themes" in favor of creating a living, breathing alt-reality with amazing new rules ... and then proceeds to show us how heroes/villains can cleverly break (or bend) those rules.  For this reason, I feel it's more Harry Potter than GoT.  I'm hoping that the show succeeds without sinking to artificially-darkening the series.

44 minutes ago, tkarrde421 said:

It's that very "innocence" that I'm worried might sink the show.  People who are trying to compare this to Game of Thrones are seriously delusional.  Many people joined the GoT band wagon only because of the sex and brutal violence.  I'm not in any way demeaning the actual content of the show (and books), but it's a different audience that will appreciate the almost-Romantic vision of Jordan's pre-industrialized world.  I think many of those people were tricked into liking a fantasy series (perhaps for the first time).  The brilliance of WoT lies in foregoing cheap "jump scares" and "overly mature themes" in favor of creating a living, breathing alt-reality with amazing new rules ... and then proceeds to show us how heroes/villains can cleverly break (or bend) those rules.  For this reason, I feel it's more Harry Potter than GoT.  I'm hoping that the show succeeds without sinking to artificially-darkening the series.

Well said, tkarrde. :)  We'll have to hope that the series will be able to balance all the requirements that fans want, and newcomers will expect.

I am tired of cheap titillations.  I was never too fond of the GoT series, though I did read the books and watch a few of the seasons.  I have never found it as deep or compelling as WoT did.  The world building, the explanations, and the perspective are all so very different.

I really hope that they don't go down the road of overly sexualising/presenting us with wall to wall carnage.  It is a difficult balance to strike when you have stakeholders wanting the best results for their money.  

I hope they keep Robert Jordans version of swearing -blood and ashes! Fishguts! etc. for me, that is a staple of the world building. 

11 hours ago, Lethira said:

I really hope that they don't go down the road of overly sexualising/presenting us with wall to wall carnage.  It is a difficult balance to strike when you have stakeholders wanting the best results for their money.  

I hope they keep Robert Jordans version of swearing -blood and ashes! Fishguts! etc. for me, that is a staple of the world building. 

If Amazon does not keep RJ's version of swearing, then I'm going to start a petition that WOT fans everywhere ship off to Amazon all the bloody ashes and fish guts we can find!! 

Seriously though, RJ's vocabulary for his characters are one of the reasons that I can re-read this series time and time again. I hope that the tv writers will stay true to the book's vocabulary in the characters' dialogues. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:30 AM, Lethira said:

I agree. The first time Mat yelled "blood and bloody ashes" and whoever he said it around acted all shocked cracked me up. It throws you for a loop the first few times, that people in the story react as if that's a terribly offensive thing to say, but their reactions reinforce it until it genuinely feels like swear words after a while.