DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What to keep, what to drop?

Barmacral

On 2/4/2019 at 11:27 PM, DemandredFO said:

Just dropping all of Valan Luca and having physical scenery instead of description will cut down. Combined Ishy and Be'lal since B shows up and gets killed, I wish I knew if RJ intended more for B. Oh and you need Narg, Narg smart. The Tylin story I think will be cut because WOT doesn't need a rape controversy. I think the travelling people could be cut down or left out entirely since they don't add much. Also I think the latter seasons will diverge more as books get cut down and there's time to expand on stuff Brandon either left out or had to edit for time, like adding seanchan and AS together at the tower. If you include that Min vision, the WT/seanchan lack of resolution has to change.

Where you need to add though is the OP battles because the descriptions sound cool but you can have 5 mins of Nyneave and Moghedien do a staredown in an ancient museum

I think they will do OP battles two ways....

1; If the scene if from the POV of a non-Channelor, there will be no effects.  An example being, lets say the scene follows a maid walking through a door into finding an OP battle.  She, and the camera, won't pick up any effects, just the channelors reactions.  

But if the scene follows the channelors themselves then all the effects, and all the weaves are shown.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 4:27 AM, DemandredFO said:

I think the travelling people could be cut down or left out entirely since they don't add much.

They don't add much by themselves, but they sure do add a lot when we learn about who the Aiel once were and their hypocrisy.  The travelling people stayed true when the Aiel did not.  And that's MAJOR.

My guess is that the WOT will have nudity (possibly quite a lot depending on how they handle pillow friends and the White Tower), and some sexual situations but it wont be in a very graphic way like GOT, but I cant imagine there not being nudity and sex. I think WOT will be solidly TV-MA but not as hard as GOT. Cursing will be the interesting thing, I suspect they will have some real cursing mixed in with the WOT style cursing. Wouldnt be surprised with a Graendal "orgy" scene that is pretty explicit for shock value.

I think the travelling people need to stay it's so important to the overall arc.

To be honest, much of Perrins arc can be just excised without really any loss, especially the endless Faile kidnapping thing. 

I dont see them keeping the polygamy as is though. Not sure that would work.

To be honest, I am not so sure that the story doesn't get changed quite a bit right around the Lanfear/Moiraine fight. I could see them changing that entire Arc. And Taim should be corrected back as originally intended.

Bowl of the Winds? Not sure that adds a lot either. Shadar Logoth may be emphasized more. Fain may be more front and center.

Johnnysd, I think after Dumais Wells there'll be major changes if it goes that long since books 7 on kind of go off the rails, like they can't not have Mat around since he's the comic relief and like I said before, the whole Tylin thing will change. RJ changing Taim because of the fans seem stupid and I wonder if there was another reason. Also time really gets screwed up after Dumais Wells since 7 to 14 only cover months. Also if it gets that far and they keep the arthurian mythology, the LB will be changed from Merrilor to Caemlyn because you don't name a place that without meaning a major battle to take place there.

The Foresaken will get changed alot or merged since most of them die with a whimper, Aranger dies twice accomplishing nothing.

Edited by DemandredFO

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlogofTime

I started a blog in the link attached of the top ten scenes I really want to see from each book. I started with The Eye of the World and have made another post about The Great Hunt as well. Can anyone confirm that the show showrunners were thinking about combining the first two books in the first season?

https://theblogturns.blogspot.com/2019/03/what-i-want-to-see-in-wheel-of-time-tv.html

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 5:35 AM, Dagon Thyne said:

I think they will do OP battles two ways....

1; If the scene if from the POV of a non-Channelor, there will be no effects.  An example being, lets say the scene follows a maid walking through a door into finding an OP battle.  She, and the camera, won't pick up any effects, just the channelors reactions.  

But if the scene follows the channelors themselves then all the effects, and all the weaves are shown.

This is how I always imagined them handling the use of the OP. And with CGI, I think it can be done well. I've always envisioned it like ribbons of light, a different color for each part of the OP, being actually woven in different patterns for different weaves.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, haycraftd said:

They don't add much by themselves, but they sure do add a lot when we learn about who the Aiel once were and their hypocrisy.  The travelling people stayed true when the Aiel did not.  And that's MAJOR.

Yes, learning the truth caused many of the Aiel to go crazy, like Sevanna's first lover, and many others to totally abandon the Aiel way of life (forget what they call it). And I think they need to show the Emonds Fielders' each having a couple stops along their way to Baerlon and Tar Valon, to give us a good sense of how long of a journey it is.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:51 PM, johnnysd said:

My guess is that the WOT will have nudity (possibly quite a lot depending on how they handle pillow friends and the White Tower), and some sexual situations but it wont be in a very graphic way like GOT, but I cant imagine there not being nudity and sex. I think WOT will be solidly TV-MA but not as hard as GOT. Cursing will be the interesting thing, I suspect they will have some real cursing mixed in with the WOT style cursing. Wouldnt be surprised with a Graendal "orgy" scene that is pretty explicit for shock value.

Well, if they're gonna have "pillow friends out the wazoo", they'll have nudity. It's unfortunate that they will have to pander to the PC crowd and it really is a sad commentary on modern society that we can't enjoy a tv show/movie without nudity. But I think they need to choose the scenes carefully. Like it's one thing to see Aviendha running off nude to Rhuidean, but not dignified Moiraine. Just showing her bare shoulders will be enough to know that she too, has to go nude.

I will be very upset if they mix in real world cursing with WoT style cursing. It is a big part of RJ's world building and helps to set it apart as alternative world. (I believe "bloody" is actually a curse word in the UK.)

I dont see them keeping the polygamy as is though. Not sure that would work.

Not saying I agree with polygamy, but if you can have homosexuality, why not polygamy? Besides the fact that it is totally accepted in Aiel culture. But I think they can do as independent trysts, with Min being the one he finally stays with. I don't think they should cut any of the 3 relationships because they are important in the development of the characters, and where Elayne is concerned, Rand's feelings for her impact his decision in dealing with Rahvin because he knows if he allows his feelings for her to become public, she will become a target. (Personally, I would really like to keep Elayne's pregnancy because there was a lot about it I found amusing.) I would really miss the scene when they all bond Rand and become fully aware of his love for them. I thought it was a beautiful scene, but I know we can't have it all.

Bowl of the Winds? Not sure that adds a lot either. Shadar Logoth may be emphasized more. Fain may be more front and center.

The use of the Bowl of Winds is what finally checked the Dark One's control of the weather. It was a major victory for the Aes Sedai and Wind Finders, so I think it needs to stay in.

Shadar Logoth and it's consequences (Mat accepting the dagger) is already pretty important, I think. Fain will probably be important for the first season or so, but then I say kill him off.

I hope they don't sacrifice the development of the main characters for the sake of time or big action/battle scenes. The growth of our main characters and their friendship bonds are one of the things that sets WoT apart from most other fantasy books I've read. It's actually what I love so much about Harry Potter and why I can watch those movies over and over and have read the books twice. I just fell in love the with the characters and their devotion to each other.

Edited by DragonFairy

• 3 weeks later...

as I reread the series I'm concerned about how the producers can implement the magic/one power within the series, GoT works because magic is kept in the background. it's there it's important but it's not in your face(exception: Night King & minions & Dragons) I'm not sure the non-science fantasy reading general public would accept overly magical TV which is the audience Amazon will need to win over to make this the next Game of Thrones 

On 2/22/2019 at 6:11 PM, haycraftd said:

agreed, without the Tuatha'an the Aiel are just a race of amazing warriors a bit like the Zulus Personally Id hate to see them simplified to this point 

5 hours ago, Ji'e'toh said:

as I reread the series I'm concerned about how the producers can implement the magic/one power within the series, GoT works because magic is kept in the background. it's there it's important but it's not in your face(exception: Night King & minions & Dragons) I'm not sure the non-science fantasy reading general public would accept overly magical TV which is the audience Amazon will need to win over to make this the next Game of Thrones 

Dont really agree with. Some of the magic scenes in GOT are also among the favorite scenes, and the dragons are hugely popular which is pure fantasy. People will accept magic fine as long as the presentation makes it organic and believable. That is possible with Wheel of Time, whereas most magic is poorly written and comes off as silly. TEOTW is very strong source material so I think it will be presented fine, and let's not forget it is their most anticipated show. The popularity of the books is huge.

On 4/25/2019 at 1:14 AM, DragonFairy said:

This is how I always imagined them handling the use of the OP. And with CGI, I think it can be done well. I've always envisioned it like ribbons of light, a different color for each part of the OP, being actually woven in different patterns for different weaves.

Yes, learning the truth caused many of the Aiel to go crazy, like Sevanna's first lover, and many others to totally abandon the Aiel way of life (forget what they call it). And I think they need to show the Emonds Fielders' each having a couple stops along their way to Baerlon and Tar Valon, to give us a good sense of how long of a journey it is.

Well, if they're gonna have "pillow friends out the wazoo", they'll have nudity. It's unfortunate that they will have to pander to the PC crowd and it really is a sad commentary on modern society that we can't enjoy a tv show/movie without nudity. But I think they need to choose the scenes carefully. Like it's one thing to see Aviendha running off nude to Rhuidean, but not dignified Moiraine. Just showing her bare shoulders will be enough to know that she too, has to go nude.

I will be very upset if they mix in real world cursing with WoT style cursing. It is a big part of RJ's world building and helps to set it apart as alternative world. (I believe "bloody" is actually a curse word in the UK.)

Not saying I agree with polygamy, but if you can have homosexuality, why not polygamy? Besides the fact that it is totally accepted in Aiel culture. But I think they can do as independent trysts, with Min being the one he finally stays with. I don't think they should cut any of the 3 relationships because they are important in the development of the characters, and where Elayne is concerned, Rand's feelings for her impact his decision in dealing with Rahvin because he knows if he allows his feelings for her to become public, she will become a target. (Personally, I would really like to keep Elayne's pregnancy because there was a lot about it I found amusing.) I would really miss the scene when they all bond Rand and become fully aware of his love for them. I thought it was a beautiful scene, but I know we can't have it all.

The use of the Bowl of Winds is what finally checked the Dark One's control of the weather. It was a major victory for the Aes Sedai and Wind Finders, so I think it needs to stay in.

Shadar Logoth and it's consequences (Mat accepting the dagger) is already pretty important, I think. Fain will probably be important for the first season or so, but then I say kill him off.

I hope they don't sacrifice the development of the main characters for the sake of time or big action/battle scenes. The growth of our main characters and their friendship bonds are one of the things that sets WoT apart from most other fantasy books I've read. It's actually what I love so much about Harry Potter and why I can watch those movies over and over and have read the books twice. I just fell in love the with the characters and their devotion to each other.

I agree with most of what you wrote. Personally I would keep all cursing as it is in the books, but they will likely test that and see if it works when filmed. Pretty sure I read pillow friends are confirmed so that could be a big element and nudity. I dont need it one way or the other, I would just be surprised if they go the TV-14 direction with this, but some recent Neflix shows have been successful this way such as Sabrina but maybe they do. Suspect the temptation to be more adult because of GOT will be very high though.

I thought Rafe had already said the polygamy was out but maybe separate relationships.

My guess is they will cast much like GOT with mostly young and lesser know character actors, but cast a star in the main role. I know Charlize Theron very much wanted to be in GOT so I could see someone like her as Moiraine. I suspect hers is first casting we learn about since she is "lead" for season 1

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Dont really agree with. Some of the magic scenes in GOT are also among the favorite scenes, and the dragons are hugely popular which is pure fantasy. People will accept magic fine as long as the presentation makes it organic and believable. That is possible with Wheel of Time, whereas most magic is poorly written and comes off as silly. TEOTW is very strong source material so I think it will be presented fine, and let's not forget it is their most anticipated show. The popularity of the books is huge.

I'mnot sure how threads of fire & spirit (Nynaeve healing stilling) could be presented in a TV show balefire would be easier

14 minutes ago, Ji'e'toh said:

I'mnot sure how threads of fire & spirit (Nynaeve healing stilling) could be presented in a TV show balefire would be easier

If I were to guess, I would think they have a SFX devoted to creating the "weaving" effect for the series.  I suspect it will be pretty amazing actually in appearance.

49 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If I were to guess, I would think they have a SFX devoted to creating the "weaving" effect for the series.  I suspect it will be pretty amazing actually in appearance. yeah that works but to return to GoT the vivid blue eyes = undead under the control of Night King representation of magic works 

1 hour ago, Ji'e'toh said:

I think the representation of magic will be more vibrant in WOT...the entire story is ABOUT magic.  I expect imagery for weaving, embracing saidar and saidin, Shadar Logoth, etc...one thing I do hope is the Trollocs dont just look like LOTR orcs or undead. They need to be unique I think. I also think the underlying story is strong enough to support the increased magic focus.

If I were them, I'd just drop pillow friends as it really doesn't add significance to the story and might smack of a J.K. Rowling style pronouncement and it would just most likely confuse the issue. They have to include Baerlon if for no other reason than that's the first time the boys see the dreaded Aes Sedai as human and the line dancing scene would probably be hilarious too.

Speaking of stuff to drop, they will add stuff too. Like the first season, in Shadar Logoth maybe a flashback as the boys are walking through to show what the city looked like when it lived and possibly with a clip of Mordeth arriving. If the series makes it, they'll need to add the borderlands falling since other than the defense the saldean capitol and the watchtowers, it really isn't shown. You also have to add something for Nyneave breaking block as we can read her thoughts to give it drama, a TV audience can't. Maybe a fight scene instead of almost drowning. Also wrapping up some storylines in earlier season, like Slayer and Fain, they serve absolutely no purpose beyond certain books, Slayer does but I see Perrin getting his moment before the books. Slayer doesn't really serve any purpose as written 

• 2 weeks later...