DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's magic pipe

Timbernme

there's nothing magical about rand's pipe,lol,rand returned from the last

battle with the ability to alter reality,the same way wolfbrothers or dreamwalkers

manipulate tel'aran'rhiod,only,he can do it in the real world,this is of course

my personal opinion,there are many more theories regarding  how rand

lit his pipe,if you want to learn more,just read rand's arc,half of the posts

in that thread are about his pipe.

This sadly will be one of those we will never know for sure since BS says he doesn't know.  My guess is it's a side effect from his battle with the DO where he stepped outside of time.  Since he didn't seem surprised it happened it might just of been something he learned how to do when creating the realties during the fight.

• 2 weeks later...

there's nothing magical about rand's pipe,lol,rand returned from the last

battle with the ability to alter reality,the same way wolfbrothers or dreamwalkers

manipulate tel'aran'rhiod,only,he can do it in the real world,this is of course

my personal opinion,there are many more theories regarding  how rand

lit his pipe,if you want to learn more,just read rand's arc,half of the posts

in that thread are about his pipe.

You made a good comparison!  I've tried to describe that many times and wind up with about two paragraphs.  Nice job.  I am very convinced of this from Rand's wrestling the ribbons of the pattern from the DO and spinning out his own version of worlds.  He touched reation itself and now can influence it, not needing the OP any longer, at least for minor changes.

• 2 months later...

Rand learned to manipulate reality during his battle with the Dark one.  That's my theory, and I think it's the best one.  He can do to reality what Perrin could do in the World of Dreams.  That in itself is greater than anything that can be done with channeling.

Rand learned to manipulate reality during his battle with the Dark one.  That's my theory, and I think it's the best one.  He can do to reality what Perrin could do in the World of Dreams.  That in itself is greater than anything that can be done with channeling.

I believe this is the case, his wresting the threads of the pattern/reality from the Dark One during the Last Battle gave him the ability to manipulate reality itself, probably in a small way.  Or maybe it is a thank you from the Creator for all of his suffering and service.

• 1 year later...

I've got a theory about how Rand lights his pipe.

The 'True Power' Is what the note was drilled for.

Lews Therin describes while Rand uses it as literally the Dark One.

It is also stated the Dark One is the only person who can allow access to the power. 

Given everything in the Wheel of Time is balance, could there be an argument that the Creator has a power that is HIS essence like the True Power is for the Dark One. The creator may be more discerning on who has access and Rand had to win the Last Battle to be deemed worthy for this power.

Saidar & Saidin are the powers that drive the Wheel of Time but they're not the creator's essence.

I've entertained the same thought Stevros but...

Using the powers involves channeling or embracing of the powers.   Rand didn't need to do that for his pipe.  So that means that if the Creator had his own power that he could share with mortals, it isn't really a yin to a yang because it's properties are different.

My vote is he simply wills the pipe to be lit.  

I will always believe it's a side effect from his stepping outside of the pattern when he fought the DO.  it would of been nice had more of been written that showed the extent of this power.   Could he manipulate things at will say will someone alive?  Or is it simple small things like he thinks of a ham sandwich and poof one is in his hand?  Or can he will say dice to land how he wants them to?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still annoyed years later about the lack of explantation here, and will not concede to the explanation that this has nothing to do with the Sharan prophecy if someone who can Channel without weaves.

The official answer that Demandred using the TP was what it is about does not make any sense to me, and I maintain he purposely faked fulfilling the prophecy to get a huge army, and was not who the prophecy was meant for. Why would the Sharan's be the only people with no prophecies of Rand? 

Anyway to get a bit more back on topic, I agree that it is essentially Rand having become something more and no longer needing to weave, but have an unprecedented control of the Power.

• 1 month later...

Or, what if Rand with the pipe is like him becoming the first angel?? It struck me while reading, and something that was bugging me. The idea of balance is critically important to the series. I think the Creator does have a essence that equals the True Power. But the pipe hints to me it can only be accessed by prayer. If it is our world, then that would make sense. Considering how our world handled religions, it fits, even more so if Demandred is the stories equvalent of a fallen angel, as Moridin becomes the stories equivalent of Satan. The Sharan prophecy could be pointing to something that was suppose to happen in the fourth age. The reveal of the Creator's identity?

Edited by wotfan4472

On 10/10/2018 at 12:02 PM, Talmanes said:

I'm still annoyed years later about the lack of explantation here, and will not concede to the explanation that this has nothing to do with the Sharan prophecy if someone who can Channel without weaves.

The official answer that Demandred using the TP was what it is about does not make any sense to me, and I maintain he purposely faked fulfilling the prophecy to get a huge army, and was not who the prophecy was meant for. Why would the Sharan's be the only people with no prophecies of Rand? 

Anyway to get a bit more back on topic, I agree that it is essentially Rand having become something more and no longer needing to weave, but have an unprecedented control of the Power.

I completely agree.  There are multiple instances in the book where they talk about perception in the One Power as a reason for or against abilities.  For example: When Toviene is forcibly bonded she mentions that men believe they must see for their weaves to continue to work, and so their weaves fail without it.

The whole weaving of Fire, Earth, Air and Water is actually holding channelers back; I truly believe if they saw the OP as one flow instead of many they might be able to do more.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, Talmanes said:

Why does every prophecy have to favor the Dragon?  Clearly the part of the prophecy had Bao not being able to channel.  Hence the TP coming into play, since in Shara a man who can channel is tattoed, can't read or write. forbidden to leave village, is used as breeding stock and killed as soon as they show signs of starting to channel.  So Dem couldn't show up channeling.  Dem hijacked the prophecy but there nothing saying Rand was meant to do it, could be it was destined for Dem to do.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:29 PM, Sabio said:

Why does every prophecy have to favor the Dragon?  Clearly the part of the prophecy had Bao not being able to channel.  Hence the TP coming into play, since in Shara a man who can channel is tattoed, can't read or write. forbidden to leave village, is used as breeding stock and killed as soon as they show signs of starting to channel.  So Dem couldn't show up channeling.  Dem hijacked the prophecy but there nothing saying Rand was meant to do it, could be it was destined for Dem to do.

Because the Shadow does its very best to conceal their prophecies from the light. (See ToM, Moridin conversing with Graendal) and if the prophecier was light aligned, they would most likely be favorable to a light aligned person.

Also, Demandred's big thing is that he isn't Rand. I think it fits in with his personality very well to highjack one of Rand's prophecies.

And lastly, because as Talmanes says, literally every other group of people have prophecies of him.  

• 1 month later...

I recently reread the series and figured I'd finally join up, and this is certainly my first order of business... For me, this answer is simple:

Rand, being the only living being to truly understand the nature of the world's existence (something he learned as he realized the Dark One was never the enemy), realizes that the Aiel actually got one correct in that life IS the dream, and as such he can treat it accordingly.  I'd guess that anyone with his level of enlightenment could do such things, just as anyone in tel'aran'rhiod can potentially control the dream regardless of their "Dreamer" status,  but since attaining that enlightenment requires quite a journey (one seemingly only the Dragon is reborn to take) then that is an ability relegated to Rand only in this particular age.

Of all the other characters in the books that might possibly approach this level of enlightenment, my money would be on Herid Fel (or would be had he not woken from the dream prematurely).

Nice theory.  It's mine as well.  In handling the threads of creation in his battle with the Dark One he learned how to create an entire world and existence, he didn't need to channel, he just created the flame.  Maybe he did it using the creator's own power, the threads of creation itself.  Nice catch on the Aiel and their beliefs, I like that.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, Sabio said:

We see that there are shadow prophesies, this is revealed by a POV from Moridin, iirc.  Demandred undertakes these trials to finish assembling his uber-powerful Sa'angreal and to bring the Sharans as an army on the side of the shadow.