DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So, How old are you?

HoppyQ

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad to see that there are a wide range of ages reading the WoT. When the first responses started coming on here I was afraid I was going to have to change my screen name to Grandpa. :cry:

Mistress al'Debaw, I would be happy for anything that made me look like 20 again. I wonder if learning how to channel would make my hair grow back. :wink:

I'm glad to see there's at least a few older people out there besides me. I'm also suprised and very happy to see how many young fantasy readers there are out there. I had honestly expected more of a mid-twenties to mid-thirties range. So' date=' my next question would have to be what other authors do you read? RJ is about the only one I still look for new books from. I just don't seem to have the time to read like I used to and some of the authors I used to read are dead. Some of my all time favorites have been:

Katherine Kurtz

Ursula LeGuin

Stephon Donaldson

Raymond Fiest

Roger Zelanzy

Louis L'amour (I know he does western and is rather repetative with his stories but he's still a good read.)[/quote']

HUGE fan of Louis L'amour. Repetative can be an understatement, but when you are looking for a no brainer read, with good action, that isn't going to take you a month to finish, Louis L'amour is the answer. I have my grandfather to thank for introducing me to westerns.

Raymond Fiest is also a good one. The Riftwar Saga was good, but I haven't read all of the books in the Riftwar Universe. Of Feist's works I especially liked Faerie Tale. My family on my mother's side is 100% Irish, so I grew up hearing tales of the Elf King and other Celtic mythology.

Started reading the books when my wife recommended them to me. She reads a LOT... I'd rather wait for the movie.

But, I needed something to read while basking in the sun on vacation, so I picked up EotW and started.

I was 29 then. I'm 36 now and anxiously/nervously awaiting the conclusion to the series.

I honestly don't read much otherwise, but favorite authors include Tolkien, Crichton, and Stephen King.

mmm yeah. I have something of a book jones. some other authors I read -

Raymond E. Feist - the Riftwar got me into reading for fun. very much high fantasy with moderately invincible heroes. I think he was getting his groove back with Conclave of the Shadows, but I'm dubious about the Darkwar Saga.

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire is so very good. eagerly awaiting book 4.

R.A. Salvatore - I don't like all of his earlier works, but the Hunters Blades trilogy is awesome. hope he continues in that direction.

Richard Marcinko - Demo Dick is like Tom Clancy but with more profanity, more grit, and less technokwak. definitely his best books were co-authored with John Weisman.

David Hagberg - good stuff overall, similar to Clancy without all the catchphrases.

W.E.B. Griffin - I think he infuses too much hero worship into his books, but I enjoy them for the most part.

there's more, but that's what I've mostly read in the past couple years.

Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

I started reading about a year ago and I'm now 18. I've read the entire series twice so far. I've been trying to get my siblings to read it but so far thay are resisting. :evil: :cry: other fantasy book i have read

include:

LOTR- i actually didn't understand them the first time i read them, i didn't even know helm's deep was a battle! :lol:

Shannara-by Terry Brooks really good until Talismans, Isle Witch through Straken were ok. Armageddons Children was great but ended at a terrible place!

David Eddings Belgariad very good, recomend to all!

Oh wait, you mean our hero can actually kill a god?! And does so at the end of the first series of each story?!

I'm of the opinion that he wasn't satisfied with Belgarion and Belgarath and in the Sparhawk series, blended them together to make a more 'realistic' character. I'm somehow reminded of VM Smith from "stranger in a strange land", as far as character devel. goes about as bland as dry toast.

You don't even have to wait for the Elenium; the Malloreon is the same story as the Belgariad, with almost all the same events, PLUS all of Eddings' 2-D stock characters have the same names as before! And you don't even have to take them seriously this time, because they spend the entire series indulging in ten times the smarminess of the previous series!

Which was a big reason I found myself a new author.

Sara Douglass and David Drake are good, at least as far as what I've read of them. You want "mythological inspiration", go read the Northworld Trilogy.

And keeping with the thread topic: I'm just shy of 22, picked up WoT in late 2004 and went through books 4-9 in about a weekend.

Currently 24. I picked up TEotW when I was 19 living in Texas. I have lived 2 lifetimes since then and it took me that long to read to book 11. As my life changed, I enjoyed the books more and more. It worked out very well that it took me that long to read it because I don't think I would have finished the series if I had tried to continue reading when I was 19.

I'm glad to see there's at least a few older people out there besides me. I'm also suprised and very happy to see how many young fantasy readers there are out there. I had honestly expected more of a mid-twenties to mid-thirties range. So' date=' my next question would have to be what other authors do you read? RJ is about the only one I still look for new books from. I just don't seem to have the time to read like I used to and some of the authors I used to read are dead. Some of my all time favorites have been:

Katherine Kurtz

Ursula LeGuin

Stephon Donaldson

Raymond Fiest

Roger Zelanzy

Louis L'amour (I know he does western and is rather repetative with his stories but he's still a good read.)[/quote']

im not really into a certain writer, my dad is a big reader and he gives me the books, i have read zelazny though.

does phillip jose farmer count has fantasy? :P i just love the river world series, also S.M Stirling is very good with Dies the fire trilogy and the trilogy of Island in the sea of Time

I picked up EoTW whedn I was 20, thats 6 years ago.

I love Raymond E feist,

Enjoy David Eddings

but after RJ my next favorite author has to be David Gemmel.

He has fantastic characters and never writes a pure good vs. evil story. there are always shades of grey that make the characters & the story far more entertaining & believable.

Archived