DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So, How old are you?

HoppyQ

I don't mean to get too personal or offend anyone but I was curious. How old is the average WoT reader. My wife has made some comments about how I read this type of books and how I have reread the series several times. I have been reading the series almost since the day it was first published. I've always been a big Conan fan and when I saw RJ's name on something different I thought I'd give it a try. By the way, I'll turn 42 this fall. I sincerely hope I'm not the oldest person reading this so help me out and let me know how old you are.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to ask how old we were when we STARTED reading the series. :wink:

I started reading about... oh, let's see. I was in the hospital recovering from appendectomy when my friend brought me TEotW, and that was the beginning of eighth grade, so that was probably 10 years ago. So I was 13 when I started reading.

I started reading WoT about 8 or 9 years ago, I'm 26 now. It was the first (adult) fantasy I ever read, the cover of TEoTW caught my attention. Especialy Lan's samurai-type helmett.

I follow a number of fantasy series now, including Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind, but WoT is still my favorite. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Wink

This average age question made me curious too, so, all viewing this post, let's hear it!

I just turned 26 yesterday. I got TEotW for Christmas of '94 or '95. At that point book 7 had not come out yet, as I can remember my first agonizing WoT wait. So, it's been a while.

Just a few days ago I finished a reread of the entire series, which was the 3rd time through books 1-6, and 2nd time through 7-11.

Guest Barmacral

I'm 20 now, started reading em about 4 years ago, my aunt is in her late 40's, started reading them when she was somewhere in her 30's. My Grandmother started reading them in her 60's, although she stopped after book 7 because she felt that she just couldn't keep track of everything that was going on.

I'm glad to see there's at least a few older people out there besides me. I'm also suprised and very happy to see how many young fantasy readers there are out there. I had honestly expected more of a mid-twenties to mid-thirties range. So, my next question would have to be what other authors do you read? RJ is about the only one I still look for new books from. I just don't seem to have the time to read like I used to and some of the authors I used to read are dead. Some of my all time favorites have been:

Katherine Kurtz

Ursula LeGuin

Stephon Donaldson

Raymond Fiest

Roger Zelanzy

Louis L'amour (I know he does western and is rather repetative with his stories but he's still a good read.)

I am 24 now, and was 14 when I first started reading. My parents were probably about 30 when they started reading. I think 14 was the best age to start them for me - I was old enough to fall in love with one particular character, and young enough to find the whole adventure exciting.

I read a lot, not only fantasy. My favorite fantasy authors - wich I really do recommend - are RJ (obviously :) ) but there are others who are really really worth reading.

Terry Goodkind is fantastic. Each book is better then the previous one. Goodkind's work is as adictive as RJ's wich probably says it all.

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/

Tolkien is nice, he's a 'must read', or watch the movie :wink: . He started all of this.

Robin Hobb's writings are pure magic.

That's it. My 4 favorite fantasy authors. They all write very differently but they all pull you into an other world. There are other great ones off course but I think these four are the most intense.

Archived