DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So, How old are you?

HoppyQ

I'm 49,and started the series 'bout 10 yrs ago.

As for other reading,I found Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series interesting, and for sci-fi, anything by Larry Niven (newest "draco Tavern" book is a hoot)or Jack McDevitt.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Stefania Sedai

I'm 26 now but I started reading in oh, maybe 8th or 9th grade. I took a big break in the process to get a degree and have a couple kids. I picked up where I left off and am now rereading the entire series while patiently awaiting MOL.

Started in '93 after I picked up TEOTW at a used book store. Been hooked ever since. I'm 35 now.

Peace! I would have thought other fantasy lovers would have made note of some of the solid compilations based on D&D and its various offshoots.

The Greyhawk series was one of my personal favs.

Gary Gygax and Rose Estes penned some fairly compelling works in the Greyhawk adventure series. Gord (main character in the first 2 books) is the man! Shown on front cover in pic below.

SagaofOldCityCover.jpg

Before anyone says "Gary who?" I will state that he is one of the founding fathers of fantasy along with Tolkien.

The only difference here is that Gary made the adventures come to life in the form of the role playing game Dungeons & Dragons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax#Fantasy_novels

I started reading the series in around 8th or 9th grade. I made it to about Page 50 in LoC, then stopped. I just picked it up last summer and started reading it again from the beginning and I'm currently about 3/4's of the way through ACoS. And I'm 18, now. :P

Ok, I've been away from the forums for a while, but I figured this was a safe one to answer.

That said, I'm 32 and have been reading WoT for about as long as it has existed. I started reading in Feb. 1990 when I was a Sophomore in High School and I actually still have a first printing trade paperback of TGH that I pickup in August of that year.

So yes, I've been reading this series for more than half of my life, which seems really strange, even to me. I really hope RJ gets well and we get to see the end as he originally envisioned it. In that order...

I'm 30 and started in 1994 when I was...uhm... 18 or so. It was around LoC / CoS timeframe. I found WoT from playing a MUD based on the books. I never read them so I thought I would read them so I could play the game better.

I enjoy reading David B. Coe, Terry Pratchett, Feist, and King's Dark Tower series. Although, I felt Dark Tower kinda got lost in the writing and the ending was fairly anti-climatic. I enjoyed it up through Wolves of the Calla, then he started going off track.

Terry Pratchett is a good light hearted read with serious moments. Great stuff. Very Douglas Adams'esque.

Feist was good in the Riftwar etc.. good people and he is great in settings.

Coe is great little known author that has a nice series called Winds of the Forelands. It is great. He characters really come alive. My favorite is Grinsa and the assassin singer, Cadel. Good read if you can find him. He is published by Tor.

I am 29.

I am very choosy about the fantasy authors I choose to read, but an avid reader of many genres.

In this Genre, I like( besides jordan) Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Tolkien, and (does this belong here?--Marion Zimmer Bradley)

Some of my other favorite authors are: Stephen King, James Patterson, and John Grisham. I sometimes like Dean Koontz, and sometimes John Saul, but they are hit and miss.

I don't read much "literature". My closest claim to that would be a book written by my college instructor,Mr. Henry Palek, called Return To IO, and it is a fantastic, if hard to locate, book. It is based on his own family's ethnic mythology,a sort of a supernatural romance/thriller. So, He would make the short list also.

Aine

P.S. SO True about the Darktower Series. I was one of the angry readers he spoke about,lol

I'm 35. I started reading this past Christmas and finished up a couple of weeks ago. Now for some sleep! :D

As for authors,

JRR Tolkien has got to be THE standard, though RJ has seriously impressed me.

CS Lewis is a recurring favorite.

EE "Doc" Smith's Lensman series is great, though it can be hard to obtain.

I liked Fred Saberhagen Swords Trilogy, and read the Lost Swords books, though he did seem to run short on enthusiasm the last few books there.

I never thought Tolkien's series was as impressive as most people try to make it out to be. He had some decent parts, but when the main characters in your story does absolutely nothing, it just gets annoying and repetitive ... Who's gonna save him this time is the constant re-occuring thought ... The only thing I can credit Tolkien with is creating a new fictional story scheme in which other authors would expand upoun.

Robert Jordan and Terry Brooks easily surpass Tolkien in their writing styles, and their plot lines.

hey liesie_sedai whe i sed love i realy mean love like not realy obsesed but definitly favorite books of all time u sould cool if u wana talk some more pm me or sumthing or email me that goes for any body hear lol my email is keith_allen12@hotmail.com send me some email if u guys want anybody can and i encurage it.

from keith

I got tEotW from my sister for my birthday on october of last year and I finished KoD on holloween.I had just turned 18.I loved the series

If you like the humor fantasy robert asprins M.Y.T.H inc is a great read.Really funny.

G.R.R.M. song of ice and fire was good too

I'm 15, going on 16. and if we're talking about book series,i must say Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit launched me into a fantasy frenzy. I'm only on the 2nd wot book though, i only started not too long ago as part of a deal with my friend. Another awesome series is the Shannara books by Terry Brooks. absolutely amazing, and a long series so it'll take up a good amount of time.

I started with the Hobbit, but I really didn't get into the whole LotR series until I saw the second movie. My curiosity got the better of me and I read the books, along with the Silmarilion. Then I read tEotW for an English project last year. I was officially hooked. ^^ But I read everything really, I know somewhere in here there was a thread about Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is amazing!

Man, I'm still a kid

All these people old enough to be my father...

OR EVEN MY GRANDFATHER

LOL

I started reading around 10 yrs old, I found it good after easy stuff like Redwall and Harry Potter (the text was too big, and books too short) lol

Then I read LotR, and discovered WoT from my friends who were also 10 when they started reading

hey world lol i also got started reading these kind of books with harry potter and the redwall books lol i have all the books brian jaques has writin for that series and i stil like to read them but i could never get into the lord of the rings i thought his writing was a little dry idk y but i just couldnt get into it.. and i started reading the WOT books for a bookreport this year in 9th grade and i also got one of my freinds reading TEOTW by telling him i would read eragon if he read it so thats wat im reading right now. pretty awsome book.. nuthin on JR's work but still pretty good. talk to u all later

from keith

• 2 weeks later...

Archived