DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which book are you on?? PLEASE ANSWER MY POLL.

Amalasan

Which is the best city or town  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best city or town

• Emond's Field
    • Tar Valon
    • Tear
    • Seanchan
    • Lugard

Whoa! A simultaneous re-read! Now that is something to try. I really don't think though that I could do a no-more-than-one-chapter-now-and-then-reread though. Sounds like it takes real will power.

Well, the rereads were different. I wanted to do a reread before KoD, but I didn't want to abandon the careful reread either, cause I was meant to really notice stuff I hadn't before. And I did want to get to KoD as soon as possible.

But it's a bit like with other books, I'm somehow used to be reading 2 or three at the same time. It may take 3 years to finish some of them, but I pick up whichever when I feel like it, and usually after while remember what was happening. But I understand the sentiment, I too have less time to read than I'd perhaps like to, and you don't always feel like reading even though you'd generally like to do it more.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the books 5 - 9 in a guest house, not knowing that they where the middle of a series.

So I got started got hooked right away but didn't know what was going on - was reading in the appendix as much as in the actual book :-)

Then got the first few books - read the middle again, got COT and now KOT and read everything from the beginning again. Oh yes and some where in between I read new spring but only ones.

I find new things every time I pick the books up and reading them again after the next book comes out is the best - looking over the old books for clues for what you now know is coming!

One the last re read - I was really surprised how late in the series Tuon is introduced - she takes up so much space in the books and Mat's mind, that I kind of felt she had always been there.

lol@Anajon! Mate, I'm trying not to insult but, you're asking for confusion by reading such a series of books like WoT in such the manner as you've stated above. But I suppose it couldn't be helped. One thing I have to hand to you is that you picked up the books in a guest house and took them, they really are that good huh? and was that a hint into my future reading there at the bottom? :wink:

Let's see... I first picked up the series after book 6 was out. So I read those once. Then each time a book comes out I reread the one before it to get my head in the right spot... so i've read 6-10 twice and 11 the one time.

However I am rereading the whole series at the moment and i'm about half way through the EotW at the moment. Though it is taking me a while as the RP'er in me jots down notes all the time on how to make my characters more authentic :P

Guest cwestervelt

The Shadow Rising was in paperback already by the time I found the series on a recommendation from a library. By the time book 7 or 8 came out I was into doing the complete re-read before starting each new book.

Started reading the series in the Fall of 1990. I can't remember the exact month but it was before mid-December. Still have that first book, both covers missing and all the pages up until the title page so I can't check its actual release date. Have probable read the first three books 10-20 times and descending from there, have already read KOD three times. I do a complete reread twice while waiting for the knew books to come out. First about a year after the last book was released and then try to time the second read to coincide with the release of the new book.

Guest Kinslayer

I'm on my second reread of the whole series. Although I've read EOTW about four times (on my second copy) and TGH and TDR three times.

I picked up the series about six months before KoD came out but couldn't stop reading so that i had to wait four months for the next book. God but CoT left me on a cliffhanger waiting for KoD i could have died waiting for the next one. Im working on my second reading right now and am almost done with LoC. I don't know about the rest of you but i like the later books in the series because the lack of knowledge and innocence kinda frustrates me having read the series before. It was a lot of fun though picking up on all the little details that you discarded as unimportant while reading the first time. It's amazing that when you're in the characters point of view and they discard some information because they can't figure it out, you do to the first time around, only to find out later that it turns out to be some crucial bit of information that won't come into play for another four books. I love it!

um read them so many tines that 1-7, which i got in paperback fell apart, and then i bought them in hardcover, and read them so many times a few of them are falling apart and from book 8 on i re-read every time a new book comes out, and yes there is so much you miss the first time, and I always pick up something new every time i read them, a harry potter break right now, havent read the half blood prince yet so there is that re-read, and then a series of unfortunate events needs a re-read, because they came out with a new one too, I was just too bust whith WOT when they all came out.....

I am starting my third time through. I am in the middle of The Eye of the World. Each time it is better than the last. I find it very hard to even conjure up enough interest to read any other books. Sad eh? What are we going to do when the series is over?

I kid you not mate' date=' I went surfing around for an ideal avatar and stumbled on screen shots and big time chit chat on the WoT computer game. True, it is RPG. Those screenshots looked alright, but didn't get into reading much about it yet, I managed to pull myself away. But I'll go back and check it out. I kind of feel a bit sad for some reason.

Kadere, I thought Shadow rising was awesome like, the end was fabulous. But I thought it was a little slow on the uptake.[/quote']

Computer game? Where? This isn't the Legend game from 99 is it?

J

As for re-reads, I'm up there with the 10-20 times for the first couple of books. I started reading them back in 90 or 91 and never stopped. I own the first 3 in both English and Spanish. I find that I enjoy "practicing" my Spanish a lot more when I'm reading something interesting.

Something that I've tried with some of the more recent books after my initial read is to go back and read them again, but this time dividing the book up by people instead of using the chapters as RJ laid them out. That way I can read each main character's story in a more linear fashion.

Yeah I just checked and it was the 1999 game Jedimuppet (interesting name by the way :)). I had no idea that there was a game until the other day mate, I'm pretty new to the WoT books. I surfed onto to site and totally didn't look for a release date, got a bit excited and started telling people that there's going to be a game :oops: DOH!

gai'shain, I guess we're all going to have to sign a partition saying "RJ...please never stop writing WoT!" But like everything, it has to end sometime huh? :(

son o'merc...whoooa mate' date=' 10-20 times? Are you sure that's not bordering obsessive? :wink:[/quote[/size']]

Keep in mind that is almost 16 years, and most of the re-reads occured after the series became to long to keep it all fresh over a two year period. A lot of you newer folks may not realize that the first few books came out just a year or so apart, it wasn't until after book 3 or 4 that it took two and sometimes two plus years for a new installment.

I too have had to buy newer hardbacks and paperbacks to replace those that were read to pieces. I just stick all the worn out books in a box in the closet to prove I have a first edition of every book, the first two in paperback and the rest in hardback. And yes it is obsessive.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm

a friend gave me a copy of teotw when i was 12, i have pretty much read whatever was available of the series a coule of time each year since then (i'm 21)

in fact i read so much that my father tried to destroy my books...it took me almost a solid week to find and repair all the pages, i dont think ive cried so much in my life but i still read from those books...twice a year.

i bought kod on the way to my bfs house one day, and was so hooked that i ignored him until i was finished...

now that you mention it...its time to start reading

:!: :shock: getting excited :shock: :!:

Read what? How many times I've read what? What is this WoT stuff and all these EoTW TSR KOD acronyms?

What is this website for? Why am I here?

Who is Bela?

LOL

Well, if people haven't been past book 5, I will tell you what happens. Dumbledore dies at the hands of Snape and all he could say was "I trust Severus Snape completely". Harry, Ron and Hermione then drop out of school. Good lesson Rowling is putting up there for our youth.

Oh wait, wrong website! LOL

I don't have the problem with the confusion, but I do with the boredom from time to time. It's the regular plot updates you get with each book. I usually have a WoT reading break for perhaps a week, that really spirs my interest greatly I find.

Archived