DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which book are you on?? PLEASE ANSWER MY POLL.

Amalasan

Which is the best city or town  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best city or town

• Emond's Field
    • Tar Valon
    • Tear
    • Seanchan
    • Lugard

Come all, and answer the big question. Which book is it you're on? I myself am nearing the end of book 5 and I must say, it's dam good reading. And just like the others, it just gets gradually more nail biting as you get through it. Love it!

I realise that there's some serious big time RJ readers out there that have been reading his novels for many years past. I spoke with a guy earlier today whose nearly read the whole series twice over... :shock: WOW! that's some mega time reading, thanks Wardragoran. I'm pretty new to DM and found a lot of the contents I've stumbled across to have spoilt a few of the plots to come in future reading.

I can sympothise with you folks out there on DM that have to constantly be carefull what you read, and might feel there's not many others to talk to about a certain book in particular. Call this a bit of research at the moment yeah! So, which one are you on? Come on, don't be shy.

This is not just for you newbies of RJ's world. Come on you Veterans, where abouts are you?

Cheers 8)

(Oh...and in case I need to spell it out...please no spoilers on this discussion. Thanks.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read them all. I will not tell you which one I liked the best. Now I am looking to get the series on Audio Tapes. My brother is on his second reading. I may have to purchase another set. i give them to the Veterans Hospital after I read them. Now I miss reading them.

Guest cwestervelt

I'm nearing the end of my third time through Winter's Heart. After I will start my second time through Crossroads of Twilight. I will then be able to start Knife of Dreams. I've read all the others at leat 4 times each. Some of the earlier ones even more times.

Lol. I only jumped the bandwagon 3 years ago, but im currently on Crossroads of Twilight for the forth time. The last two times have been in this past year, because i got majorly grounded from eveything, so all im left with now is my books and my legos :).

Good luck on your first reading, arguably the second best; The first best being the second reading.

Lol, Well. What can I say but you guys really, truly are dedicated to the WoT. I can see myself reading Extensively like that a few years down the line. I am dedicated and really cannot see myself even picking any other books up, at least until I've finished all there is of the WoT. I do apprieciate knowing that people have read the series so thoroughly as you guys, it just goes to show the impact RJ has made upon our world. 8) I heard the other day a WoT computer game is due to be released, and talk of movies too. As far as I'm concerned the world of WoT is really beginning to shroud that of Tolkein's Middle Earth, but no one take that as "dissing" Tolkein ok!

So far, my favourite read has to be book 3 The Dragon Reborn. Awesome is all I can say at the mo! keep that info coming in folks....

I've read the series through Winter's Heart 3 times, I've read Crossroads twice, and Knife of Dreams once. I'm thinking of rereading them once I finish the Chronicles of Dune which I'm on the last book of.

I've got to agree with Siswai'aman though, the second reading is better then the first because you can start focusing on how the story is connected, and not be over-awed by everything in general.

But I'll agree with you to, I think WoT TOTALLY out does Tolkein. It's just plain bigger and better.

The Dragon Reborn is not one of my favorites, not to give anything away but my favs have got to be Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, and Knife of Dreams. You'll love those last two, they're explosive.

I kid you not mate, I went surfing around for an ideal avatar and stumbled on screen shots and big time chit chat on the WoT computer game. True, it is RPG. Those screenshots looked alright, but didn't get into reading much about it yet, I managed to pull myself away. But I'll go back and check it out. I kind of feel a bit sad for some reason.

Kadere, I thought Shadow rising was awesome like, the end was fabulous. But I thought it was a little slow on the uptake.

you should give us a link to that website so we can check it out. I'm afraid it's the computer game that came out like 8 years ago.

I loved Shadow Rising because it just had a lot of good moments along the way. Mat going to the Finns, both trips, are two of my all time favorite moments in the series. Rand seeing the history of the Aiel, Perrin kicking trolloc butt at Two Rivers, the uprising at the White Tower, Aviendha and Rand's growing relationship, the meeting of me, Kadere, :D , the whole culture of the Aiel....

Yeah, I really liked it, it was (for me) richer then the previous books. Almost all of my favorite moments are in that one and Fires of Heaven. But you're absolutely free to have your own opinion, just as long as you love the series enough to sell your soul. :twisted:

ive read books 1 - 9 inclusive 6 or 7 times each, i forget which, book 10 4 times, and knife of dreams twice. reading some terry brooks atm which i havent read in ages, then im thinking i might do it again, its amazing how much stuff you pick up after the first time or two once your used to characters and stuff, you pick up the little details that are related to 5 books down the track or whatever, its exciting

the game your talking bout i think is the one released a few years back, was pretty average and didnt really follow the book from what i played of it. and move rights are with a company (last i heard) but they havent started production or anything, i have no idea howd they set it up so the movies didnt go for 8 hours. but believe it or not, the company name is red eagle productions...i thought it was ironic

Hi Amalasan and everyone else!

I am almost through the series twice now. I just started my full second reading in mid February without reading any other books inbetween. I'm half done Crossroads of Twilight as of yesterday. Of the first books I've read TEOTW and TGH the most. I think at least 4 readings each.

It has been interesting in the transformation each of the characters makes with each new book. I think that's why I have read the first two books the most. I like how they started as wide-eyed and mostly innocent.

I think the favourite part for me in the first two books(and there are a lot of favourite parts) is the one where Mat owns both Gawyn and Galad with his quarterstaff. 8)

A WOT game would be the best. A whole series of them.

I have to agree with Siswai'aman that the second reading is the best reading. There is so much that you pick up on that you miss in the first reading.

Happy reading Amalasan. :D

Guest cwestervelt
I think the favourite part for me in the first two books(and there are a lot of favourite parts) is the one where Mat owns both Gawyn and Galad with his quarterstaff.

Actually, that is in the 3rd book after he has been Healed of his connection to the Shadar Logoth dagger.

I think the favourite part for me in the first two books(and there are a lot of favourite parts) is the one where Mat owns both Gawyn and Galad with his quarterstaff.

Actually' date=' that is in the 3rd book after he has been Healed of his connection to the Shadar Logoth dagger.[/quote']

Right you are, my mistake.

Guest Egwene

Read the whole series three times (apart from KoD twice) and most of the earlier ones up to five times. Totally agree with those that said the second read is the best. You get a constant 'wow' factor as you realise how far back in the books some of the plot lines were started. Or how the last piece needed to solve a puzzle was handed to you five books earlier.

I think Amalasan, you will find that people re-read before a new book came out. Once there is a publication date for the next one, I'll be working out when to start a re-read so that I finish that just in time to seemlessly blend with the new book.

If I were the proverbial rich man.... I'd pay a huge sum of money if I could have that next book right now *sigh* :wink:

i am rereading the series for the second time right now. i got into it about a year and a half ago but have not been able to read as much lately as i would like...i am about halfway through the 2nd book and i agree with everyone that the second read is great because you see alot you forgot about and how far caracters have come. and that is only half way through the 2nd book

I started reading WOT late 2004. Am now on my second read thru, currently reading Lord of Chaos.

I certainly agree the second read thru is much better. I found first time thru that there was so much to take in that it was hard keeping track of everything. With the extra knowledge I am able to focus better on some plot lines and be able to work things out for myself. You get that "so thats how that fits in" when you come across something you missed that first time thru. I don't know about anyone else but I think you tend to forget things after a while so a reread thru can get you back up to speed when a new book comes out.

have read the whole series about 8 or 9 times maybe more?? that's up until CoT which i've only read twice and KoD which i've read twice.

I'm like Egwene i re-read before the next one comes up so i know what's happening. i also find that when i know something exciting is expected i tend to rush through so each time i try to make myself slow down a bit. rereading LoC at the moment.

To the OP maybe worth turning this into a poll?

Guest Winespring Brother

Yeah, I think I am at the 8 times mark as well, though only 4 for CoT and 2 for KoD. Its kinda sad to have read it so many times, but I still get really excited when I pick up that first book and read about Lews Therin, and listen to Moiraine tell the story of Manthren...

Once I get going its just a blur, but there is always something that I notice that I hadn't before or had perhaps forgotten. And there are no chapters or anything that I skip, ever

Its been 6 months since the last read. Fingers getting itchy :wink:

I think I'm on at least the sixth reread, less for the last ones. Last summer I actually split my then current reread, because I was on a no-more-than one-chapter-now-and-then-reread, reading the book carefully, but I was in PoD and realised I wouldn't make it to the end before KoD, so while continuing the original reread, I started another, faster reread from that point to get to read KoD in time. A bit strange to have two rereads going on at the same time, but I managed, and soon I'll get to KoD in the original reread :D .

:oops: Basically I've a really huge mountain to climb before I can meet you lot at the top! I have been in awe reading the comments you've left...eight times! Nice! Yeah I did enjoy the whooping that mat gave Gawyn and Galad, especially Galad! Book 3 really is wicked. I also enjoyed Ba'alzamon running in fear of his life, and the rest of the concluding events of that book...Calandor...sweet!

Yeah I think a poll would be a good idea, that'll be the next thing I do. I know there's others like myself out there, hopefully this'll get them chatting or at least voting! :)

Guest Winespring Brother
I think I'm on at least the sixth reread' date=' less for the last ones. Last summer I actually split my then current reread, because I was on a no-more-than one-chapter-now-and-then-reread, reading the book carefully, but I was in PoD and realised I wouldn't make it to the end before KoD, so while continuing the original reread, I started another, faster reread from that point to get to read KoD in time. A bit strange to have two rereads going on at the same time, but I managed, and soon I'll get to KoD in the original reread :D .[/quote']

Whoa! A simultaneous re-read! Now that is something to try. I really don't think though that I could do a no-more-than-one-chapter-now-and-then-reread though. Sounds like it takes real will power.

I read the series once, and are busy with FoH now, on my second go at it. A recent career change means I have a lot more time for reading, so I have a feeling I'll pick up New String right after KoD, and keep on going till I finished the series for the 3rd time.

Maybe I'll brush up a bit on Prachett, just to take a break.

Oh, and I stumbled upon THE WORLD OF ROBERT JORDAN'S WHEEL OF TIME by RJ and Theresa Patterson, so I'll have to get around to reading that too.

Archived