[Blue Ajah Harry Potter Week] Sorting Ceremony

Leala Sedai

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*wishes there was a sarcasm font* :tongue:

It's called italics

italics is the naughty font nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more

the sarcasm font is nearly undetectable except by the jaded and cynical.

I can pick it up pretty well, and can even see it when it isn't there.

sometimes it is noted by the

/end sarcasm

though that's never true.

and by the not really sarcastic with some version of the :rolleyes:

I know, I know what you're all thinking....a Brown Aes Sedai sorted into Ravenclaw?? Controversial I know  :tongue:  :laugh:

I think you lost me, Blank. Why is this so weird?

It's not at all weird.

It's the very opposite of weird.

I think if all of us were sorted in Ravenclaw I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised  :happy:

*wishes there was a sarcasm font*  :tongue:

Well, the Slytherins are the villains, the Griffindors are the heroes, and the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are basically The Other Guys. I don't want to be one of The Other Guys that gets left off to the side of the story.

I actually disagree with that ...it's one of the things JKR did poorly was writing "heroic" Slytherin ...I think because it is distant in her understanding, I would struggle with it as well, but I think she did her readers a disservice by not having some positive portrayals of Slytherin other than Horace and at the end, the bravery of Snape. Snape made a lot of things right in that arena, but a positive Slytherin student could have helped.

calling Snape Brave is a stretch.  but there were other Slytherins that were detestable like Malfoy.

for instance, Draco proved himself to be a good guy in the end.  a coward but still good.   theres also Regelous Black (Sirius's Brother) who cared for the welfar of his house elf and didn't treat him like dirt.   Head Master Dippet as well was a good Slyterhin.   there were also a few Slytherin students that didn't leave the common room and stayed to fight with the students as well.

i agree about Slytherins not getting a fair shake on things, btu the same could really be said for the other houses aside from Gryffendor and JKR placing baisedness and sterotypes on them.

but then one has to recall, the story is written from a FPOV, and the story is jaded and limited by the characters own biased and knowledge in the series.  point is, all Harry woudl know is the stero types of those houses because he didn't interact witht he other houses beyond passing aquantences.  to see in depth the true character of the House, one would have had to be part of that house.

You Scored as Hufflepuff

These belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal. Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid of toil.

Hufflepuff

81%

Griffindor

77%

Ravenclaw

68%

Slytherin

41%

I wish Snape had had the courage in the beginning that he found after Lily's death.  Then again, if he had, Voldy would have had him killed much earlier.

I'd like to think that after Voldemort's death, the "stigma" he put on Slytherin house would begin to fade and we'd see more acceptance and less rigid segregation between the Houses as the years passed and horrific memories faded with time.

You Scored as Griffindor

You are in Griffindor. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring nerve nerve and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart. You Join other famous wizards such as Dumbledore. Griffindor sets itself high standards, and as such you are expected to try your hardest and pull your way through with your bravery and daring.

Griffindor   80% Hufflepuff   71% Ravenclaw   58% Slytherin   56%

You Scored as Hufflepuff

These belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal. Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid of toil.

Hufflepuff 76%, Griffindor 71%, Slytherin 53%, Ravenclaw 47%.

Huh 

You Scored as Griffindor

You are in Griffindor. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring nerve nerve and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart. You Join other famous wizards such as Dumbledore. Griffindor sets itself high standards, and as such you are expected to try your hardest and pull your way through with your bravery and daring.

I wish Snape had had the courage in the beginning that he found after Lily's death.  Then again, if he had, Voldy would have had him killed much earlier.

I'd like to think that after Voldemort's death, the "stigma" he put on Slytherin house would begin to fade and we'd see more acceptance and less rigid segregation between the Houses as the years passed and horrific memories faded with time.

see i disagree.  i dont see what Snape did as having courage, i see it as guilt because he knew he was the cause of it and a thirst for vengence.  if it was courage, he would have changed his opinion and not supported the DE's and woudl have stood against whatt he DEs stand for.

point is, he didn't want to destroy the DE's and didn't sever ties with the remaining DE's; he still believed in what the group stood for and still agreed with their stances on things.  the only thing Snape wanted, was hte death of their leader.  not for righteous reasons, but for personal reasons because the woman he wanted to possess was killed.

Cause of what, Red?  

I don't think he did agree with the Death Eaters.  After all, he was in love with Lily who was assuredly not pureblooded.  He definitely had to appear to agree with them though, because he was deep undercover.  I also don't think he wanted to possess her.  He was in love with her; she was the first person who'd been nice to him, she was a wizard like him, and she even stood up for him against bullies.  

i Snape didn't agree with the DE's and what they stoo for as a group, then why did he join them.

go back and re-vists snapes memories in tDH's.  he defends Lucius and other Slytherin would be DE's when Lily points out exactly the sort of "friends" he hangs out with.  If Snape didn't agree with the stances the DE's took, or the opinions of his peers in that club, then he wouldnt' have been good friends with Lucius Malfoy and he wouldn't have joined the DEs in the first place.  infact, if he didn't agree with their views, then he woudl have never called Lily a mudblood, even in anger.

i also disagree that Snape loved Lily.  imo he obsessed over her and lusted over her.  he felt he had ownership over her and that she was his, because he introduced magic to her and helped her with everything pre-hogwarts. and eveytime i re-read tDH's and get to Snapeds memories, i'm more firm in this belief because of how he acted and the things he said.  he tried to dictate who she hung out with, he tried to guilt her over being in Gryffendor, among other instances.  he didn't love Lily, he wanted to possess Lily.

every time i re-read Snapes memories from

Two points on the friends issue:

a. You can be blinded to your friends' faults.  Just because you hang out with them, doesn't mean you think everything the same way they do.

b.  Maybe he did believe in the beginning, but then felt a change of heart.  However, he couldn't leave because he had to be a double agent.  Look at how he acts to the rest of the students.  He punishes Harry's friends because they are with Harry, and favors Draco and his friends because he's trying to act the part for the DEs.  Otherwise, he seems to be fair/ignore the rest of the students.  Which means those that are halfbloods/muggleborn don't really matter to him.  

Where do you get that point?  I think she was his first love - and the only person who really showed him any love.  Thus, he was confused when she started to like "the enemy".  He was a teenage boy, so he felt betrayed when she started to show feelings for someone who had treated him like shit all his life.  

Not that I am in love with Snape, but I don't think he was terrible person either.

I'm actually with Em on this one.  He didn't "fit" in with James and the gang, his home life sucked. Lily was his bright spot.  She accepted him.  He also felt accepted by those with Death Eater leanings  Remember, Snape was also a half-blood.   He was probably embarrassed about this muggle father so tried to distance himself from him. 

I think Snape showed poor judgment.  He made some horrible mistakes.  At the same time, James and Sirius were absolute "toerags" (to use Lily's term) to him so he didn't see an opening into anything other than the crowd he was familiar with.

Was he weak?  Yes, initially and for a number of years.  Peer pressure dictated his course for a long time.  But I think his "dedication" to Voldemort's cause was half-hearted, at best.  A sense of belonging, the power that went along with being in a dominant group . . . that all came crashing down on him and nearly crushed him.

Remember Dumbledore's words, about how he thought sometimes that they sorted too soon?  Snape, I believe, truly repented.  I believe he truly loved Lily.  If he hadn't, he would have been able to put her memory behind him and find solace with someone else and give himself over more fully to DE goals and activities.

Gud - we try :laugh:

let me bring my copy of tDH's to work tomorrow and quote the sections i'm talkign about and we can start a new thread on this so the sorting one isn't hijacked :laugh:

Good idea!  See, we should have had a discussion thread :wink:

Archived