DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Joke

iceBLUEeyes

Could somebody please explain why this is supposed to be funny? (X_x)

Rand was telling the Far Dareis Mai a joke ch3, LoC:

“An irascible old farmer named Hu discovered one morning that his best rooster had flown into a tall tree beside his farm pond and wouldn’t come down, so he went to his neighbor, Wil, and asked for help. The men had never gotten along, but Wil finally agreed, so the two men went to the pond and began climbing the tree, Hu first. They meant to frighten the rooster out, you see, but the bird only kept flying higher, branch by branch. Then, just as Hu and the rooster reached almost the very top of the tree, with Wil right behind, there was a loud crack, the branch under Hu’s feet broke away, and down he went into the pond, splashing water and mud everywhere. Wil scrambled down as fast as he could and reached out to Hu from the bank, but Hu just lay there on his back, sinking deeper into the mud until only his nose stuck out of the water. Another farmer had seen what happened, and he came running and pulled Hu out of the pond. ‘Why didn’t you take Wil’s hand?’ he asked Hu. ‘You could have drowned.’ ‘Why should I take his hand now?’ Hu grumped. ‘I passed him just a moment ago in broad daylight, and he never spoke a word to me.’ "

I don't get it. Lol. I'm as confused as the Maidens.

Is a rather lame joke - Hu "passing" Wil while falling down, who obviously had no time to do or say anything :P

Rand is attempting to joke in the obscure Aiel way, but obviously fails even that - his humour must be somewhere between Wetlanders and the Aiel XD

...makes sense in a way ;)

Ninja'd :tongue:

The Maidens exchanged blank looks. Finally Somara said "What happened with the pond? Surely the water is the point of this story."

Throwing up his hands, Rand started for the red-striped pavilion again. Behind him he heard Liah say, "I think it was supposed to be a joke."

"How can we laugh when he doesn't know what happened to the water?" Maira said.

"It was the rooster," Enaila put in. "Wetlander humor is strange. I think it was something about the rooster."

He tried to stop listening.

:ph34r:

The farmer is angry because his friend "passed him" and did not say hello. The funny bit being that he "passed him" when he is falling off the ladder.

Is a rather lame joke - Hu "passing" Wil while falling down, who obviously had no time to do or say anything :P

oh right

The Maidens exchanged blank looks. Finally Somara said "What happened with the pond? Surely the water is the point of this story."

Throwing up his hands, Rand started for the red-striped pavilion again. Behind him he heard Liah say, "I think it was supposed to be a joke."

"How can we laugh when he doesn't know what happened to the water?" Maira said.

"It was the rooster," Enaila put in. "Wetlander humor is strange. I think it was something about the rooster."

He tried to stop listening.

:ph34r:

Now, this was the joke! Lol. I laughed at this.

I think the joke in the same chapter was actually quite good, the one about Maiden handtalk. Sure it's a standardish joke that plays with gender roles etc, but I thought it funny even so.

“Do you know why Maidens use handtalk? Because even when they are not talking, they cannot stop talking.”

I think the joke in the same chapter was actually quite good, the one about Maiden handtalk. Sure it's a standardish joke that plays with gender roles etc, but I thought it funny even so.

“Do you know why Maidens use handtalk? Because even when they are not talking, they cannot stop talking.”

Not so much gender roles as cultural - I hear similar ones about the italians all the time:

How do you gag an italian?

Tie his hands

i kind of understand Rand and Perrin lack of humor.

both been in a bad mental place

buth Perrin do seem the SERIUS type. :)

another char with GREAT sense of humor Is Talmanes, the way he act near Mat and his obeservation remarks are comedy gold :)

I thought it was a great joke.

Yes, the punchline was the 'he passed me in broad daylight and never said a word to me', but the joke is only really funny because it fits the stereotypeof the irratable, stubborn old farmer who is quick to take insult. It's a very Two Rivers joke, based on the kind of people that Two Rivers folks love to make jokes about. (Think the Coplins.)

Of course, all of this is as far out of the Aiel's cultrual frame of reference as any of their jokes were to Rand.

Does anyone in the WoT universe have the slightest sense of humor?

The Dark One is pretty hilarious.

Robert Jordan's sense of humor shines through all over in the series, but he doesn't hit you in the face with it. The characters tell hardly any jokes at all. The above is a perfect example of this: Rand tells a joke that's sort of funny, but the real humor in the scene has nothing to do with someone actually being funny.

The most prevalent onscreen jokesters in the entire series are the Aiel, and of those the Maidens do it the most, yet Gaul can hold his own too. But even then it's not 'our' type of humor, and you have to put yourself in their shoes to get it.

The joke is cultural and has probelems with translating to the Aiel. In the Two Rivers, much like in many small comunities, if two people who are aquainted with each other, pass by, they are required by social moors to stop and say a few words. Its polite to do and extremly insulting to forgo those simple mannors. Conversly, the Aiel pride themselves on NOT being seen in almost any environment, so these simple good mannors would have no place in the Aiel world.

Does anyone in the WoT universe have the slightest sense of humor?

The Dark One is pretty hilarious.

Robert Jordan's sense of humor shines through all over in the series, but he doesn't hit you in the face with it. The characters tell hardly any jokes at all. The above is a perfect example of this: Rand tells a joke that's sort of funny, but the real humor in the scene has nothing to do with someone actually being funny.

The most prevalent onscreen jokesters in the entire series are the Aiel, and of those the Maidens do it the most, yet Gaul can hold his own too. But even then it's not 'our' type of humor, and you have to put yourself in their shoes to get it.

I think their jokes are hilarious, I love the semi sexist / societist stuff they come up with

The joke is cultural and has probelems with translating to the Aiel. In the Two Rivers, much like in many small comunities, if two people who are aquainted with each other, pass by, they are required by social moors to stop and say a few words. Its polite to do and extremly insulting to forgo those simple mannors. Conversly, the Aiel pride themselves on NOT being seen in almost any environment, so these simple good mannors would have no place in the Aiel world.

With full understanding the bolded is probably a typo, the image of a social-butterfly 18th century muslim, dressed in full regalia, patrolling the Two Rivers' countryside enforcing local etiquette protocol made me laugh and laugh.

With full understanding the bolded is probably a typo, the image of a social-butterfly 18th century muslim, dressed in full regalia, patrolling the Two Rivers' countryside enforcing local etiquette protocol made me laugh and laugh.

What makes it even funnier is the fact that Moors created gardens for water and shade..

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5852028_did-moors-create-water-gardens_.html

Thanks, Lurk, you've made our day!

What makes it even funnier is the fact that Moors created gardens for water and shade..

http://www.ehow.co.u...r-gardens_.html

:laugh:

http://www.ehow.co.u...r-gardens_.html

:laugh:

Thanks, guys. lol, Stupid spellcheck. Right, a Moor is a group of muslims who invaded spain in the 9th century, and social mores refer to norms that are widely observed and have great moral significance. Ima have to work on what a social Moor is lol!

Archived