DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Joke

iceBLUEeyes

Does anyone in the WoT universe have the slightest sense of humor?

Men:

- Mat bloody Cauthon!

- Thom Merrilin

- Davram Bashere

- Bael

- Mazrim Taim (pulled the biggest joke on Rand so far)

Women:

- Birgitte

- Leane Sharif

- Setalle Anan: "I doubt I’ve ever seen so much foolishness poured into just two dresses."

- Bair

On top of what has been said, the fact that this [presumably] actually happened, and that Rand was either there or heard about it firsthand, makes it funnier to him; it's a "you had to be there" kind of thing. It's also possible this happened when he was a kid and/or was a running joke for several years. This is the kind of thing that amuses small town farmers, people. :P

My own reaction to reading this scene as a teenager, following the Aiel not getting it and Rand "trying to stop listening":

*looks up* "Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"...Roosters can't fly, can they?"

"They cannot. Hence the movie 'Chicken Run.'"

"That's what I thought." *resumes reading*

On top of what has been said, the fact that this [presumably] actually happened, and that Rand was either there or heard about it firsthand, makes it funnier to him; it's a "you had to be there" kind of thing. It's also possible this happened when he was a kid and/or was a running joke for several years. This is the kind of thing that amuses small town farmers, people. :P

My own reaction to reading this scene as a teenager, following the Aiel not getting it and Rand "trying to stop listening":

*looks up* "Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"...Roosters can't fly, can they?"

"They cannot. Hence the movie 'Chicken Run.'"

"That's what I thought." *resumes reading*

Roosters can fly. Chicken run was not a documentary, lol.

The joke is cultural and has probelems with translating to the Aiel. In the Two Rivers, much like in many small comunities, if two people who are aquainted with each other, pass by, they are required by social moors to stop and say a few words. Its polite to do and extremly insulting to forgo those simple mannors. Conversly, the Aiel pride themselves on NOT being seen in almost any environment, so these simple good mannors would have no place in the Aiel world.

With full understanding the bolded is probably a typo, the image of a social-butterfly 18th century muslim, dressed in full regalia, patrolling the Two Rivers' countryside enforcing local etiquette protocol made me laugh and laugh.

What makes it even funnier is the fact that Moors created gardens for water and shade..

http://www.ehow.co.u...r-gardens_.html

Thanks, Lurk, you've made our day!

:laugh:

Thanks, guys. lol, Stupid spellcheck. Right, a Moor is a group of muslims who invaded spain in the 9th century, and social mores refer to norms that are widely observed and have great moral significance. Ima have to work on what a social Moor is lol!

I think you guys mean the Moops

Archived