DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Prologue Spoilers] What Harriet Had Brandon do...?

UncleButcher1980

Orem Signing Report - Zas

Question

Any spoilers for A Memory of Light?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's see here. Harriet killed a character in the book that I did not intend to kill. So I wrote the entire book with a character living and she killed this character.

Question

Did she tell you right before you finished, or what?

Brandon Sanderson

She sent back the draft and said "This person dies."

Question

So did you have to change a lot?

Brandon Sanderson

So they succumb to their wounds. I intended them to live, so there is a character who died unexpectedly. So that's a slight spoiler. There is like a chapter that's over a hundred pages. It's a Super Chapter.

Any idle speculation? My first thought was Talmanes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to think it's a fairly major character. In the end, I don't see Harriet going out of her way to make sure someone like Talmanes kicks the bucket.

I think it'll either be one of the Two Rivers gang, Elayne, Aviendha, Min or Lan.

She may have if his survival seemed completely out of place or inconsistent with the themes of the book.

With the Prologue out wounldn't Brandon know we'd immediately think of Talmanes?

I have to think it's a fairly major character. In the end, I don't see Harriet going out of her way to make sure someone like Talmanes kicks the bucket.

I think it'll either be one of the Two Rivers gang, Elayne, Aviendha, Min or Lan.

I'm pretty sure it would be in the notes if one of the major characters was supposed to die at the begginning of the book.

I don't think it would be a major character because this is something that RJ would have planned.

But I don't think it can be Talmanes either because, even if he does not die, readers now expect him to die from his wounds.

Also, from the quote, BS says that they succombs to their wounds but a character dies (the bold is mine). I would interpret this as a group of secondary characters gets wounded and one of them dies.

So my guess would be one of the Wise Ones, or either Berelain or Galad.

Also, from the quote, BS says that they succombs to their wounds but a character dies (the bold is mine). I would interpret this as a group of secondary characters gets wounded and one of them dies.

Nah, I think he was just making a very common error with pronoun-antecedent agreement.

I don't think it would be a major character because this is something that RJ would have planned.

But I don't think it can be Talmanes either because, even if he does not die, readers now expect him to die from his wounds.

It's growing more popular in common day English to use "they" and "their" instead of "he or she" or "his or her". I think this is just another instance of the new rule.

Maybe Brandon was trying to pre-empt fan rage against him by blaming Harriet. I'll be specific....

Brandon Sanderson

"Brandon, why did you kill..." I'm not gonna say.

Jennifer Liang

"You killed Cadsuane! What's wrong with you?"

Brandon Sanderson

Luckers would just murder me.

Jennifer Liang

Yeah. Yeah, he would.

.... [i'm joking... or am I?]

Nah, I think he was just making a very common error with pronoun-antecedent agreement.

'They succumb to their wounds' can refer to a singular person. It simply means the statement is non gender specific. And Brandon also states that Harriet told him 'this person dies' - person is singular.

It's growing more popular in common day English to use "they" and "their" instead of "he or she" or "his or her". I think this is just another instance of the new rule.

He probably just used it so that people wouldn't know if it was going to be a male or a female character who dies.

Thanks to al for the grammar lessons!

Well, after reading Chapter 1 looks like it isn't Talmanes. So I guess the speculation goes on. I had a feeling he'd make it, I was just wrong on how.

Hey...I did not even know that chapter 1 was out...spoiler alert next time please!!

Archived