DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Prologue Spoilers] What Harriet Had Brandon do...?

UncleButcher1980

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're reading posts in a spoiler forum and you're complaining about seeing spoilers? Cracks me up every time.

We'll give the first chapter the same treatment we gave to the prologue on this board. That is, the board remains open (for now) for new threads, but their titles should clearly indicate the type of spoilers involved (for example, if a beta-reader came along and posted stuff from chapter 50, that'd still be a no-no, regardless of the board's name). And, as with all things, courtesy is king. Better to give an alert and have everyone ignore it than let it slip that Talmanes metamorphism (which began with the black skin) continues until he's made a new type of Shadowspawn, somewhat akin to a combination of Myrddraal and Dragkhar.

Oops, Fisher, you're not still reading this, right?

Seriously, though, just be considerate.

The outline was nowhere near as comprehensive as is assumed. Brandon stated recently that only half of what occurs in tGS, TofM and aMoL was in the notes.

Nice to see that Q&A so we can put to bed the well if "Brandon wrote it, that's what RJ wanted" argument.

It also puts to bed the "If Brandon wrote it and it wasn't in the notes, that's what Brandon wanted" argument. Seems like there are a lot of cooks making this meal.

The outline was nowhere near as comprehensive as is assumed. Brandon stated recently that only half of what occurs in tGS, TofM and aMoL was in the notes.

Nice to see that Q&A so we can put to bed the well if "Brandon wrote it, that's what RJ wanted" argument.

It also puts to bed the "If Brandon wrote it and it wasn't in the notes, that's what Brandon wanted" argument. Seems like there are a lot of cooks making this meal.

Was that ever an argument? There were a number of quotes indicating that from Day 1. Don't think it was a suprise to anyone how the process goes in terms of everyone having a say. For instance...

Question

Was there ever a case where you and Maria and Alan had a difference of opinion and Harriet had a completely different take?

Brandon Sanderson

That all four of us had a different take? Yeah, that's happened; that's very rare but it has happened. We're trying to piece together something that's...there's always this consideration of "What would Jim do?" But there's also a consideration of Brandon as author, not knowing what Jim would do, what does Brandon think needs to happen narratively? And there are some things where I, reading the books as an author, say "This is where he was going." "No, he didn't say it in the notes." "No, it's nowhere in there; he doesn't make mention of it." "This is where he was going; my understanding of story structure, plotting and things, and I can say, you know, as sure as I can say anything, that this is what he was going to do." And, you know, sometimes Maria and Alan, they look at the notes and say, "No, that's not at all what he was going to do; look what the notes say." And I say, "No, that's not what they're saying," and we have arguments about that too.

What most certainly is very new info is that BS actually created 50% of the story without direction from the notes. It was always assumed the outline was more robust than that. In fact people were debating with me about it just a few days ago.

Depends on how you look at it. BS catches the flack for what comes out and is not liked, but we really don't have any idea as to what part(s) were touched by whom.

As someone else said here fairly recently, it seems BS was given direction as to what had to happen but not how to get there. The whole thing seems like a bit of a cluster@#$@.

Agree, and Thom better not die. He is one of my favorite characters. Killed Juilin instead.

Talmanes death would be a good opener, it would let us know people will die and not have a Lord of the Rings ending (the movie, never read the books) where Frodo is in the bed and everyone comes in one at a time laughing and jumping up and down. Worst/funniest ending ever

Lan could be a candidate

But my guess, Rhurac. He would be a great character to kill. Popular enough, but not POV's.

The aiel have to lose the most people right?? A remnant of a remnant?

Maybe. Correct me if I'm wrong but Aiel having massive casualties is the Wise Ones' interpretation, right? The word "destroy" is used in the actual prophecies. And IIRC there is a prophecy like "he shall slay his people with a sword of leaf". Aiel define themselves as warriors, if they are sworn to the Covenant again, wouldn't that count as destroying them? And the remaining Shaido that went to the Waste is the remnant of the remnant. This is what I've always thought would happen and Aiel would lose as many as the rest.

I think the character who Harriet had Brandon finish off was more than likely a minor one because it has been said many times that RJ had the fate of all the major characters planned out in his notes so I doubt there would be contradiction between Brandon and Harriet about that.

If Min gets cut out of the Pattern then what happens to all the visions she has had??

Fish

Nothing. They still happen. None of her visions say she will live, so her death would change none of them. If the Pattern survives, her visions happen, period.

Talmanes was healed. So, his death isn't in the Caemlyn battle if he's to die before all is said and done. And with Talmanes' survival, Mat's trip to Ebou Dar doesn't mean that the Band is toast. They look like they'll have a role in the Last Battle. Would be awesome if Mat brings the Band to Ebou Dar or Illian before doing his thing in TG.

• 1 month later...

Archived