DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would be your biggest disappointment?

Trey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and they lived happily ever after.

i get the feeling none of the emond's filders are going to meet their maker anytime soon

Brandon said that the Butcher's bill will be high. If I have to nominate any Two-Rivers to be dead when all is said and done, first would be Nynaeve, followed by Perrin, and finally Egwene. The outriggers told us that Mat will survive; and Rand will die in order to live. Lan and Moiraine might end up on the Butcher's bill as well.

I'll be disappointed if the following don't happen:

-Real Death for an Emond's Fielder (Fab Five, not Branwyn Al'Vere or some other random Emond's Fielder) - I think most fantasy readers have come a long way in the past few decades, and not being satisfied with an "Apocolyptic Battle of Epic Purportions!" in which all of the primary characters survive is one of them. War is an ever present part of the news, and the world we live in. And no matter how special someone is, or how much we like them, in such a conflict, it begins to break the suspension of disbelief that no one in the main cast dies. We've seen these characters grow (or not, depending on who you ask), and develop, from a group of teenagers to arguably the five most powerful people in Non-Seanchan Randland. And now they are going into the most dangerous battle their civilization has ever seen, putting themselves at great personal risk. In this type of situation, not everybody makes it. And as much as I like these five,all of them shouldn't either.

-Real Death for Thom & Moraine - They've some things to do yet, but don't you think that the Emond's Fielders can stand on their own without Mommy and Daddy looking over them? I love both of their characters, and it will be truly sad for them to die, but at some point the mentor must go away, and with the Last Battle coming, the most fitting way is in a blaze of glory. Together, of course, but still, they are of the previous Age, not the one that is being born.

-Egwene's last bit of character development at FoM, tempering her new-found power with some humility

-Something unexpected from Fain - No gollum, please. He's been stated to be unique to this run, well I want to see something truly unique from Fain compared to what his type of character usually does (semi-redemptive/semi-condemning act that somehow helps the protagonist when all hope seems lost). I want to see Fain do something, and say, "Sheep's swallop and bloody buttered onions!"

-BT cleansing, please. And not just a quick reference from Logain showing up at the FoM, and telling Rand what happened, or some such. In Aviendha's glimpse of the future, the BT and Asha'Man seemed to be a force seen similar to the WT, with no over-riding negativity. Well, a lot of things have to go down for that be so, because right now the BT is a cesspit of Evil, Wicked Men. Elaida promised us the Black Tower's grounds rent and bloody, with sisters walking its grounds. We've seen the sisters already, but its time for the rest.

I'm looking at you, sanderson... .. . :perrin:

Why? If Tuon bonds Mat that will obviously be something that RJ planned. It's a big thing for one of his main characters.

and they lived happily ever after.

i get the feeling none of the emond's filders are going to meet their maker anytime soon

Brandon said that the Butcher's bill will be high. If I have to nominate any Two-Rivers to be dead when all is said and done, first would be Nynaeve, followed by Perrin, and finally Egwene. The outriggers told us that Mat will survive; and Rand will die in order to live. Lan and Moiraine might end up on the Butcher's bill as well.

All that butcher's bill means is a lot of deaths. It will be secondary and tertiary characters, imo. I agree with Elan. There were ample opportunities in the first 13 books for shocking deaths of main characters to occur. The series isn't suddenly going to change tone and kill off half of them.

Contrary to some of the above posts, I would be disappointed if any of the main cast did die. Except for Elayne, who irritates the teeth off me, so she can go.

I would hate it if we didn't get a decent insight into what's happening in the BT, as well as a resolution there. Logain's glory has been foreshadowed for far too long for us not to see why he earns it, and it seems likely that it will be linked to the BT.

I really hope we get to see Rand vs. Demandred - the LTT/Demandred rivalry has been mentioned too many times for us not to see a direct confrontation, now.

What would disappoint me the most, though, would be for the release date to be pushed even further back :P. I need to know how this story ends, and I need to know it yesterday.

I agree with randsc. if the Seanchen take over, that would really nark me off. As would Faile surviving. I don't want to see the WT ravaged again, that smacks of overkill.

While I want to see the ending done well, i don't want it seem "rushed" i want a natural progression towards it, I don't want it suddenly dropped in our laps.

The Aiel, that has to be done, and done well. for them to not have a society or history to move towards would be a major disappointment. A lot of that though ties in with the Seanchen.

Someone has to have little wolf cubs for Perrin.

I'd hate to see Rand die. I mean I understand I should expect it, just seems messed up. Oh look, he was born to die. Sucks to be him, kill the poor bastard.

Anyone else not really digging the thought of a bonded Mat & Tuon?

I think I'd be pretty irritated to see it happen, because I like the consistancy of Tuon's character with regard to channelling.

Rar rar rar the leash is bad, it's barbaric, and she could learn to channel but she chooses not to, so it's hypocritical considering all the forces in play regarding marathdamane, and being that she's now empress...

I feel like it'd be crap & wicked cliche at this point in the story, to have the characters be put in a situation where oh golly look, somebody needs to be bonded to save their life (or whatever situation required) and lo and behold the only one who could do it is Tuon...Except as far as we know, she doesn't know the bond weave, and going from the books, she doesn't display an ability to embrace & control the source at will all on her own outside of using the a'dam.

Tuon bonding Mat would really bother me...I dunno, like on the level of BOND ALL THE THINGS! sort of dumbshit style of finishing the series.

I'm looking at you, sanderson... .. . :perrin:

I'd be dissapointed if she didn't channel, but I have to agree, her deciding to bond Mat would seem, Meh. I mean, how much could she actually learn before the last battle. Tuon channeling and suddenly knowing things that she shouldn't and being on level with Ny or something would bother me.

Sparkly Vampires. Cylons on Earth. Cheap time-travel tricks that makes everything go back to the beginning. Dragons suddenly appearing after not being in the first 13 novels (actual, physical dragons, I mean - not Reborn ones, obviously). The Creator saying "I'm bored" and just blasting the bad guys away. An angreal that turns out to be a nuclear warhead (or CD player, hair-dryer or lawnmower for that matter). Or "oh look - it's earth thousands and thousands of years in the past/future".

Frankly - if there are any repeats of any bad endings in otherwise good novels I've read (except Twilight - that started as merely OK and went downhill from there).

I think the big problem will be is that the series has been so overwhelmingly magnificent, I'm almost frightened to read the last book in case it doesn't live up to the rest. And I don't see how it possibly can.

I'm a bit afraid of who might die, too. In a certain Harry Potter book, after a certain death, I put it down and didn't read any more until 2 weeks later because I was so gutted. I only picked it up again because my friends were starting to forget I'd not finished and I was being threatened with accidental spoilers. If the butcher's bill is as big as - and involves the characters - I suspect, it's going to take me a year!

most things were already said so i'll just mention some small things that come to my mund right now

I would be disappointed if during the cleansing of the BT it turns out all of taim's followers are DF ather then turned by taim in some way and must be killed- rand had put too much effort into the founding the BT for it to become useless now and god knows the forces of the light could use a boost of chennelers

I would HATE it if the aviendha's vision will come true (I mean what is the point of rand's victory in TG if the whole world will go under seanchan contorl?) but I just don't see how things with the seanchan can be fixed- it'll look forced if suddenly the seanchan "will see the error of their ways" and give up on the damane and dacovale stuff...

I agree with what Elan said "and thay lived happily ever after"

i'll be disappointed if there won't be an explanation on how Isam and luc ended up as the same person (or whatever they are) and if Perrin won't tell mat and rand his "dirty little secret" (aka. him being a wolf brother) cause i really want to see their reaction

I'll be disappointed if Gawyn won't beg for rand's forgiveness for dumping moragse death on him and then die (I absolutely hate Gawyn and Egwene was a real bitch to him so she deserves losing him- two birds in won shot and i want that even though i think Egwene is one of the most amazing and admirable female character in the series besides, too many people bonded and married recently- it gets kinda sticky)

But best , and most in keeping with the overall theme of the series, would be for the book to end with 'flicker'.

I agree. That would be an amazing ending!

Sorry to be ignorant - 'flicker'?

Referring to the part in tGH with the portal stone where it's going through all of Rand's possible lives, and he keeps hearing "I win again, Lews Therin."

Anyways, the worst for me would be if Rand didn't die and stay dead. I know the body switch is seeming more and more plausible, but dammit, I want there to be a sacrifice here, and coming back after three days in a cave just doesn't cut it.

But best , and most in keeping with the overall theme of the series, would be for the book to end with 'flicker'.

I agree. That would be an amazing ending!

Sorry to be ignorant - 'flicker'?

Referring to the part in tGH with the portal stone where it's going through all of Rand's possible lives, and he keeps hearing "I win again, Lews Therin."

<facepalm> Sorry - I was thinking it referred to another series of novels, TV or film, or similar called 'flicker'. I wasn't thinking back on WoT. My stupid bad! :)

Anyways, the worst for me would be if Rand didn't die and stay dead. I know the body switch is seeming more and more plausible, but dammit, I want there to be a sacrifice here, and coming back after three days in a cave just doesn't cut it.

Actually - I agree. I've been considering Rand a gonner for quite a while :(

Sad but true; I don't think the end can be totally satisfying if he survives, although I would very much like him to.

I have to agree too. Rand is by far my favorite character. I was starting to get seriously disheartened by his slide into evil and madness, and my love for the series came back tenfold when he finally broke free. Part of me would love to see him live.

That said, everything points to his death. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere many times, and I'm not sure what the discussion has been, but so far the only ending that makes sense to me is him actually becoming the seal on the DO's prison. He has to die to become the seal, and I don't see how one comes back to physical life after that. I might be able to get my brain around him appearing in the dreamworld after that, but I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with it.

I have to agree too. Rand is by far my favorite character. I was starting to get seriously disheartened by his slide into evil and madness, and my love for the series came back tenfold when he finally broke free. Part of me would love to see him live.

That said, everything points to his death. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere many times, and I'm not sure what the discussion has been, but so far the only ending that makes sense to me is him actually becoming the seal on the DO's prison. He has to die to become the seal, and I don't see how one comes back to physical life after that. I might be able to get my brain around him appearing in the dreamworld after that, but I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with it.

there will be no seals. not anymore. there will be a rebuilding of the dark one's prison. and that is that.

rand will live towards the end. how that happens is anyone's guess. best get used to it

rand will live towards the end. how that happens is anyone's guess. best get used to it

I agree. Once upon a time I enjoyed the idea of Rand not surviving, but now there are too many ways for him to come back. Heck, he could die plenty of times in the last book, considering how many ways there are to return from it.

Honestly? I think he could die twice and survive both quite easily without contradicting any of the foreshadowing weve had or ruining the plot. And I do believe he wont die at Shayol Ghul, thats when he switches bodies with Moridin IMO. Its whether or not he dies BEFORE Shayol Ghul that I wonder about. I think he might die at the Black Tower. Unless Perrin is there to die for him.

I agree. Once upon a time I enjoyed the idea of Rand not surviving, but now there are too many ways for him to come back. Heck, he could die plenty of times in the last book, considering how many ways there are to return from it.

Honestly? I think he could die twice and survive both quite easily without contradicting any of the foreshadowing weve had or ruining the plot. And I do believe he wont die at Shayol Ghul, thats when he switches bodies with Moridin IMO. Its whether or not he dies BEFORE Shayol Ghul that I wonder about. I think he might die at the Black Tower. Unless Perrin is there to die for him.

Think we all know what your biggest disappointment would be Drekka! Taim ≠ Moridin!!! :wink:

I would be disappointed if :

the true source run out/ faded away

a clean ending ( i think it would be cool with a sopranos ending in mid sentence , because for me the book is about contunity and not a definet end)

if there is not a massive slugther

in the last battle and that Rand somhow survive

p.s sorry for my poor spelling

pp.s what means FoM ?

I would be disappointed if :

the true source run out/ faded away

a clean ending ( i think it would be cool with a sopranos ending in mid sentence , because for me the book is about contunity and not a definet end)

if there is not a massive slugther

in the last battle and that Rand somhow survive

p.s sorry for my poor spelling

pp.s what means FoM ?

Don't worry about spelling too much :cool: it's a lot better than my Swedish :blink:

FoM = Field of Merrilor, where Rand is gathering the armies of the Light.

If we don't get some significant Fain POV time. I don't want him to just sneak up on Rand at the end of the book, swipe his dagger, and tiptoe away. Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't had a Fain POV since the start of Towers of Midnight, so I expect to hear about Fain early and often.

there will be no seals. not anymore. there will be a rebuilding of the dark one's prison. and that is that.

Perhaps "seal" is the wrong term. I certainly haven't done any in depth analysis here, but I think that he will use himself to permanently repair the prison. When he discusses realizing he's not a sword, I think the idea is that he's a shield. He will become the prison, or at least provide the additional material necessary to put it back to it's original state.

Think we all know what your biggest disappointment would be Drekka! Taim ≠ Moridin!!! :wink:

Ya, goes without saying haha. To be fair if he was somehow bonded to/mindtrapped by Moridin or possessed by him at times we have seen-PARTICULARLY his introduction in LoC-it wouldnt be as bad. But if he isnt Moridin I'll be dissapointed if he isnt something else awesome like a Ta'veren-gone-Dark True Power user. Hes way too evil to be a "normal" Darkfriend channeler/new Dreadlord, and we know he isnt 13x13ed...

So ya, either hes Moridin or something else just as black, or I'll be dissapointed lol.

But he is though so its reit :D

Archived