DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would be your biggest disappointment?

Trey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest disappointment would be: If the Aiel fail to find a post-TG purpose and it is looking like Aviendha's visions will be the actual future of the Aiel.

oh yeah, that too, major disappointment

This is way too open-ended :P

Moiraine returns and acts overly friendly to Perrin

Moiraine froze.

Moiraine folds her arms underneath her breasts.

Moiraine sniffs.

Moiraine says "Oh please"

Mat & Tuon's reunion is butchered.

Rand and Moiraine's reunion is butchered.

If the ending has too many religous overtones or similarities to the endings of other books/movies.

Well, it is a Messiah story. And Messiah stories have been told many times before. So brace yourself.

For me, what would be most disappointing would be a cost-free victory. Redemption requires sacrifice. So I would really hate to see any sort of Harry Potter-esque "a popular but really pretty minor character bites it, but basically everyone lives happily ever after" type ending.

Though the sacrifice need not be a character dying. The loss of access to the Power would be satisfying as well.

But best , and most in keeping with the overall theme of the series, would be for the book to end with 'flicker'.

My biggest disappointment would be: If the Aiel fail to find a post-TG purpose and it is looking like Aviendha's visions will be the actual future of the Aiel.

That would be an evil, but not the worst of evils. It depends on what their post-TG purpose turned out to be. If the Aiel turn into a bunch of worthless Tinkers, I will be extremely disappointed. Personally, I think the Aiel would be perfectly suited to the task of reclaiming the Blight.

I agree with randsc. if the Seanchen take over, that would really nark me off. As would Faile surviving. I don't want to see the WT ravaged again, that smacks of overkill.

While I want to see the ending done well, i don't want it seem "rushed" i want a natural progression towards it, I don't want it suddenly dropped in our laps.

The Aiel, that has to be done, and done well. for them to not have a society or history to move towards would be a major disappointment. A lot of that though ties in with the Seanchen.

That would be an evil, but not the worst of evils. It depends on what their post-TG purpose turned out to be. If the Aiel turn into a bunch of worthless Tinkers, I will be extremely disappointed. Personally, I think the Aiel would be perfectly suited to the task of reclaiming the Blight.

Right on! That is one of the easily identifiable tasks for them and Ogier: Populate the reclaimed Blight and civilize (materialistically speaking) the 3-fold land.

I agree with randsc. if the Seanchen take over, that would really nark me off. As would Faile surviving. I don't want to see the WT ravaged again, that smacks of overkill.

While I want to see the ending done well, i don't want it seem "rushed" i want a natural progression towards it, I don't want it suddenly dropped in our laps.

The Aiel, that has to be done, and done well. for them to not have a society or history to move towards would be a major disappointment. A lot of that though ties in with the Seanchen.

Me too! I hope the Aiel issue is wrapped up convincingly. They have been with Rand through it all and deserve better for their dedication.

That would be an evil, but not the worst of evils. It depends on what their post-TG purpose turned out to be. If the Aiel turn into a bunch of worthless Tinkers, I will be extremely disappointed.

KoD

“Ah, they steal a chicken now and then. General,” Neald said with a laugh, giving one of his thin waxed mustaches a twist, “but I’d not be calling them great thieves.” He had enjoyed the Seanchan astonishment at the gateway that had brought them all here, and he was still posing over it, somehow managing to strut while sitting his saddle. It was difficult to remember that had he not earned that black coat, he would still be working his father’s farm and perhaps wondering about marriage to a neighbor girl in a year or two. “Great theft requires courage, and Tinkers have not a bit of it.”...

“Twice they offered me shelter when I needed it, me and my friends, and asked nothing in return,” Perrin said quietly. “Yet what I remember best about them was when Trollocs surrounded Emond’s Field. The Tuatha’an stood on the green with children strapped to their backs, the few of their own that survived and ours. They would not fight-it isn’t their way-but if the Trollocs overran us, they were ready to try to carry the children to safety. Carrying our children would have hampered them, made escape even less likely than it already was. but they asked for the task.” Neald gave an embarrassed cough and looked away. A flush tinged his cheek. For all he had seen and done, he was young yet. just seventeen. This time, there was no doubt about Balwer’s thin smile.

Commenting on Suttree's reference above, the Aiel and Ogier in the AoL were "pacifists" and worked wonders with their singing and servitude. It would not be demeaning if they drop down their spears and pick up pitchforks.

Echoing Orwell, I will just say that when the universe is facing an existential threat, to be a pacifist is to be objectively pro-Dark One. The Tinkers' overriding concern for the state of their own souls is, in such circumstances, the height of arrogance and self-regard.

There was exactly one Tinker worth a damn. For reasons unknown, he was killed off like rabid dog.

Echoing Orwell, I will just say that when the universe is facing an existential threat, to be a pacifist is to be objectively pro-Dark One. The Tinkers' overriding concern for the state of their own souls is, in such circumstances, the height of arrogance and self-regard.

There was exactly one Tinker worth a damn. For reasons unknown, he was killed off like rabid dog.

How about he one killed in the Dragon's Camp at the start of TDR? She was brave enough and proactive enough for the Dragon's cause to risk and sacrifice her life! And what about the ones who followed Mat, Tuon, and Selucia in the ruins of Eharon's capital when they thought that Mat was bothering the two women? And what about their role in the battle of the Two-Rivers?

I don't agree with their "way of the leaf;" but I am not for degrading their beliefs or life-style. Live and let live!

Appologies if this has been asked. But, what would be your biggest disappointment in AMoL if you didn't get to see or find out something?

For me it would be no Mat and Tuon reuinion.

From the book jacket cover text, it sounds like Mat is heading to Ebou Dar to see his wife, so it sounds like this reunion will definitely happen. But as someone else mentioned, it would really suck if it was butchered. Hopefully Sanderson's grasp of Mat has improved since tGS.

Appologies if this has been asked. But, what would be your biggest disappointment in AMoL if you didn't get to see or find out something?

For me it would be no Mat and Tuon reuinion.

From the book jacket cover text, it sounds like Mat is heading to Ebou Dar to see his wife, so it sounds like this reunion will definitely happen. But as someone else mentioned, it would really suck if it was butchered. Hopefully Sanderson's grasp of Mat has improved since tGS.

Amen!

Archived