DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes

There are some really catchy quotes, those that are memorable and stick with you. What ones come to mind to you?

One that I really like (I can't remember who says it) from Winter's Heart:

"She's channeling saidin." - In response to Aran'gar seizing saidin during the Cleansing of Saidin

Of course there's also

"Kneal, or be knealt." - Taim (Lord of Chaos - post Dumai's Well battle)

What other great ones come to mind?

"She's channeling saidin." - In response to Aran'gar seizing saidin during the Cleansing of Saidin

I also like the follow up to that one where the AM goes to the rebel AS hall and tells them to remember that guys name and his sacrafice

I also like the follow up to that one where the AM goes to the rebel AS hall and tells them to remember that guys name and his sacrafice

The original quote is from Ebon Hopwil and the one that appears in front of the Rebel Hall of the Tower is Jahar Narishma.

“Once he had a grove of oaks chopped down because they were looking at him. And then insisted that they would be given decent funerals; he gave the orations. Do you have any idea how longs it takes to dig graves for twenty-three oak trees?”

- Davram Bashere about one of his former commanders. That one always makes me laugh.

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool, and a man who trusts no one is a fool. We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

-Lews Therin speaking in Rand's head.

“We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake.”

-Mat One of my favorites.

“Horrible woman. If we had turned her loose on the trollocs, she'd have had them all sweeping and mopping.”

-Thom. I just reread TSR and that one always makes me laugh.

Do you think I would run away? he had said when Perrin suggested he could slip off into the night after Faile. His ears had dropped with weariness and hurt. I came with you, Perrin, and I will stay until you go. And then he had laughed suddenly, a deep booming sound that almost rattled the dishes. Perhaps someone will even tell a story of me, one day. We do not go in for such things, but there could be an Ogier hero, I suppose. A joke, Perrin. I made a joke. Laugh. Come, we will tell each other jokes, and laugh, and think of Faile flying free.

Ignoring the Faile/Perin hate that came later that part in the book still brings a tear to my eye.

That woman was born in Far Madding in a thunderstorm. She probably told the thunder to be quiet.It probably did!

(I can't remember the name of the man who said it but know he was describing Lini)

Whenever a woman acts like a fool, look for the man responsible.

(Elayne quoting Lini)

Can't think of any oters right now. . . :sad:

"You know" was all she said.

--Min and Elayne scene(for the life of me, I can't remember where). For sheer brevity, that's the WoT equivilent of "Jesus wept."

"Blood and bloody ashes!"

--Mat, many many many many times. And Nynaeve, once.

Many more, but I'd have to locate the WoT quote archive, and google betrayed me with a dead link.

Edited by Sephie

"I will hate the man you choose because he is not me, and love him if he makes you smile" -Lan

"My name is Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap toward Tarmon Gai'don. Will he ride alone?"

"He will not, my Lady. I cannot stand surety for anyone else, but I swear to you under the Light and by my hope of rebirth and salvation, he will not ride alone." -Nynaeve and the Malkieri merchant.

Two of my favorites are in my signature. Another is Thom's response to Furyk Karede in KoD: "I am a gleeman, a position higher than court bard to be sure, but no general."

"Under an Oak" is my favorite chapter in the whole series so far. And I could cite more quotes from it; but that might end up with me typing the whole chapter!

Edited by Theodril

Thanks Randsc. I wanted to post that quote, but didn't know the old tongue. Just to be sure, that's Mat during his SL dagger healing?

Correct.

How about...

tPoD "A Time for Iron"

Do you have the Horn of Valere hidden in your pocket this time? Lews Therin asked slyly. Rand snarled at him silently.

LoC

You want to know what the Great Lord told me? Very well. But it stays here, held close. Since Sammael chose to stay away, he learns nothing. Nor do the others, whether alive or dead. The first part of the Great Lord’s message was simple. ‘Let the Lord of Chaos rule.’ His words, exact.

& you can never go wrong with Mat...

Never kiss a girl whose brothers have knife scars.
I’m no lord. I’ve more respect for myself than that.
I’m a gambler, a farmboy, and I’m here to take command of your bloody army!

Also love this one from Asmo...

"I once saw a man hanging from a cliff," he said slowly. "The brink was crumbling beneath his fingers, and the only thing near enough to grasp was a tuft of grass, a few long blades with roots barely clinging to the rock. The only chance he had of climbing back up on the cliff. So he grabbed it." His abrupt chuckle held no mirth. "He had to know it would pull free."
Edited by Suttree

@Suttree - you've got me missing Asmodean - best character ever. I'm still bummed that he was killed off.

I'm not looking this up, so if I get it slightly wrong, please forgive:

(talking about Mat to Rand) "A young man of as many surprises as you. I certainly look forward to meeting the third of you, this Perrin, one day."

Also, look at Thom's thought narrative in Shadow Rising as he convinces Mat to stay for a game rather than run away... "A greatness he failed to see clinging to his back..." (again please forgive mistakes)

Never thought I'd post a Cenn Buie quote; but I found one on Nynaeve after she called the Village Council a bunch of dimwits.

TEotW: The Gleeman

"That young woman wants a husband," Cenn Buie growled, bouncing on his toes.

1. Lan and Moiraine, New Spring, When To Surrender.

Mo: "It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he."

Lan shook his head slightly. "He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you're dead."

Moiraine nodded. Surrender after you're dead. Yes.

2. Eye of the World, The Wheel Turns.

Loial. "This little space, at least, will not sink into the Blight. The Blight will not have Treebrother."

3. The Great Hunt, To Come out of Shadow.

Rand: "The Light shine on you. Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand." He touched Ingtar's shoulder. "The last embrace of the mother welcome you home."

I was re-reading The Eye of the World again:

The last unsteady note of what had been barely recognizable as “The Wind That Shakes the Willow” faded mercifully away, and Mat lowered Thom’s gold-and-silver-chased flute. Rand took his hands from his ears. A sailor coiling a line on the deck nearby heaved a loud sigh of relief. For a moment the only sounds were the water slapping against the hull, the rhythmic creak of the oars, and now and again the hum of rigging strummed by the wind. The wind blew dead on to the Spray’s bow, and the useless sails were furled.

“I suppose I should thank you,” Thom Merrilin muttered finally, “for teaching me how true the old saying is. Teach him how you will, a pig will never play the flute.” The sailor burst out laughing, and Mat raised the flute as if to throw it at him. Deftly, Thom snagged the instrument from Mat’s fist and fitted it into its hard leather case. “I thought all you shepherds whiled away the time with the flock playing the pipes or the flute. That will show me to trust what I don’t know firsthand.”

“Rand’s the shepherd,” Mat grumbled. “He plays the pipes, not me.”

Master Gill snorted a laugh. “The Queen, eh? You don’t say. We had Gareth Bryne out in the common room an hour or so ago, arm-wrestling the Lord Captain-Commander of the Children, but the Queen, now . . . that’s something.”

Where did they all go?” Egwene said. “Why? They can’t have been gone very long.”

“What makes you say that?” Mat asked. “From the look of that barn door, they could have been gone all winter.” Nynaeve and Egwene both looked at him as if he were slow-witted.

“The curtains in the windows,” Egwene said patiently. “They look too light for winter curtains, even here. As cold as it is here, no woman would have had those up more than a week or two, maybe less.” The Wisdom nodded.

“Curtains.” Perrin chuckled. He immediately wiped the smile off his face when the two women raised their eyebrows at him. “Oh, I agree with you. There wasn’t enough rust on that scythe for any more than a week in the open. You should have seen that, Mat. Even if you missed the curtains.”

Lan tossed back the hood of his cloak and, despite the cold, motioned for the others to do the same. Moiraine had already lowered hers. “It’s the law in Shienar,” the Warder said. “In all the Borderlands. No one may hide his face inside a town’s walls.”

“Are they all that good-looking?” Mat laughed.

“A Halfman can’t hide with his face exposed,” the Warder said in a flat voice.

Rand’s grin slid off his face. Hastily Mat pushed back his hood.

Moiraine took a silver goblet from one of the servants. “Ingtar seems to believe you will defeat this threat as you have defeated many others across the years.”

“Aes Sedai,” Agelmar said wryly, “if Ingtar had to ride alone to Tarwin’s Gap, he would ride the whole way proclaiming that the Trollocs would be turned back once more. He has almost pride enough to believe he could do it alone.”

On ACoS in my re-read and came across this one from Mat's POV that always made me laugh:

Now he knew why rabbits ran so fast. He stumped across Mol Hara Square not seeing anything. Had Nynaeve and Elayne been cavorting with Jaichim Carridin and Elaida in the fountain beneath that statue of some long-dead queen, two spans or more tall and pointing out to see, he would have passed by without a second look.