DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes

There will be no more treekiller flipskirts scratching at your tentflap Rand al' Thor.

Aviendha.

Priceless.

+1

The Rand - Aviendha relationship was the most lively to read. It is my favorite of his three romances. And I look forward to seeing how both reconnect in AMoL.

Ingtar's is one of my favorite quotes and scene. One that obviously comes to mind is " creator created women to pleas the eyes and trouble the mind". Another one is " Women are like Sun, you cannot live without them but they extract a price"

For sheer brilliance in conveying meaning with what is, on the face of it, a useless/duh argument:

Dyelin and Elayne in ToM:

D: "The Ciarhienin are a proud people. To think of themselves living conquered beneath Andor's Crown...."

E: "They lived beneath Rand's power."

D: "With all due respect, Elayne,"Dyelin said. "He is the Dragon Reborn. You are not."

For sheer brilliance in conveying meaning with what is, on the face of it, a useless/duh argument:

D: "The Ciarhienin are a proud people. To think of themselves living conquered beneath Andor's Crown...."

D: "With all due respect, Elayne,"Dyelin said. "He is the Dragon Reborn. You are not."

I especially like scenes like this. It shows that she does not just see him as the DR which almost everyone else does.

Another good one was in EotW when Rand sees Morgase and thinks of how her situation would be if she was a village girl

There are some really catchy quotes, those that are memorable and stick with you. What ones come to mind to you?

One that I really like (I can't remember who says it) from Winter's Heart:

"She's channeling saidin." - In response to Aran'gar seizing saidin during the Cleansing of Saidin

Of course there's also

"Kneal, or be knealt." - Taim (Lord of Chaos - post Dumai's Well battle)

What other great ones come to mind?

I'm not sure if you nailed the Taim quote spot on, but yeah best quote in the series BY FAR. You saved me looking through the posts to see if anyone else had posted it before I did.

I stared at one of my buddies for about an hour while he was reading LoC until he got to that part. He just looked up at me when he got there and quoted it, because he KNEW that's what I was waiting for once he saw it. Damn, what a good quote.

Edited by Xeratul

The pride and arrogance of monarchs. They drink it in their mothers' milk.

My three favourites [unfortunately paraphrased] 'they have caged shadowkiller/howls lit the night, and then, we come. Just that. We come' from LoC

And the 'dance with me shadowman, dance with me nightrider, dance with me eyeless/ the Myrdraal suddenly seemed uncertain, confused that the fear their gaze put in every human heart did not seem to touch these'. from tDR

and 'The Neverborn turned like a thing of the night, but night was where the Brothers and Sisters hunted' from tDR

• 4 weeks later...
A lion stuffed into a horse-stall might look like a peculiar joke, but a lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue.

A lion stuffed into a horse-stall might look like a peculiar joke, but a lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue.

Nice! One of my favorites and is in my signature. It was the first time Tuon admits to herself that Mat is more than a match for her.

• 3 months later...

I always liked this line, from LTT

I would not mind you in my head, if you were not so clearly mad.

and this one:

I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard.

And it is hard not to quote Mat, the guy is made of nothing but luck and one-liners.

That woman has more hands than any six women I ever met.

This moment was hair-rasing on the first read:

Go find Sheriam. Nobody else but Sheriam. Tell her… Tell her I’ve Healed Logain.

And here is a moment that I always like reading:

Perrin bent to ruffle the boy's curly hair. "What's your name, lad?"

"Jaim Aybara, Lord Perrin. I'm your cousin, I think. Sort of, anyway."

Perrin squeezed his eyes shut for a moment to keep the tears in. Even when he opened them his hand still trembled on the lad's head. "Well, Cousin Jaim, you tell your children about today. You tell your grandchildren, your grandchildren's children."

"I'm not going to have any," Jaim said stoutly. "Girls are horrible. They laugh at you, and they don't like to do anything worth doing, and you never understand what they're saying."

"I think one day you'll find out they're the opposite of horrible. Some of it won't change, but that will."

The one that spring in to my mind first is when Birgtte and Mat is t´discussing the tower of ghenji in a tavern:

Matt: I must go the tower of Ghenji

Birgittet : thats not a issue. you stay out of there

Matt: i can´t

Birggite : of curse you can it´s a flamming building , Mat it can´t exactly chase you down

or antoher from the same scen ( with by the way probebly is the best in all of the books)

" and if we cheat said Mat asked. Iron, music and fire

[birgitte] that not cheating . That´s being smart"

From Lord of Chaos, when Mat was attacked by Aiel in The Band's camp:

Mat slipped back and left them to it. The general who leads in the front of battle is a fool. That came from one of those old memories, a quote from somebody whose name was not part of the memory. A man could get killed in there. That was pure Mat Cauthon.

Not Classics but just started rereading EOTW so these are two from early in the book

Perrin describing Nynaeves meeting with Moiraine in Baerlon

'' She's with Mistress Alys right now and it's cold enough in there to snow ''

After the group leave Baerlon after escaping from whitecloaks

Mat '' I wonder what Dav did with that badger ''