DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which character or characters will betray the light at TG?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah he won't. That pretty much proven fact.

Yeah especially given the originally planned outrigger novels...

What says we can't follow a darkfriend Mat for three books after the series ends? :) It would explain how RJ thought of an idea interesting enough to make outriggers.

Honestly, though, I think it's more a question of which of the good guys might be Compulsed into serving DO. I think Bashere's the most likely for that one.

well we know that Taim will betray the light, as he is clearly a third Age Forksaken.

Apart from that, most DF would be fleeing as news of Rand's abililty to "see" darkfriends spreads to the surrounding world.

DF will be leaving their places of hiding to take on a more direct role in the shadow's armies etc.

What says we can't follow a darkfriend Mat for three books after the series ends? :) It would explain how RJ thought of an idea interesting enough to make outriggers.

RJ says...the outriggers are about Mat and Tuon going to back to reclaim Seanchan. I guess they both could be DFs working in the name of the Great...errr Dark One. :wink:

I think Mat is possible. after the portal stone lives, he experienced, he appologized to Rand for betraying him. Foreshadowing?

Everyone saw variations of their lives and choices during that episode. Sure it is foreshadowing; but it isn't of the strongest type, in my opinion.

Nah he won't. That pretty much proven fact.

I agree that he won't; even if it isn't a proven fact. In my mind it is a proven fact; but aside from reading AMoL, no one can be sure.

Yeah especially given the originally planned outrigger novels...

The outriggers might hint that Mat will abandon Randland for Seanchan; but both are on the side of the Light.

In any case, it would be a huge bummer for me if Mat's legacy would end in betrayal. To me, he's the most honorable of the 3 ta'veren when it comes to keeping his promises. And ending his run of 10 books of service and good deeds with betrayal would suck!

This is a very good question. Luckers had started a topic before, but it didn't get off the ground.

We have seen Darkfriends, and who we thought was good turn out to be Darkfriends, even Verin who betrayed the Dark One. But we haven't actually seen someone turn to the Shadow, nobody has decided "screw you guys, I am going to Shayol Ghul. We are doomed."

I think that aMoL would be the most logical book to have this in. Only really "bad" people have turned to the Shadow in the current Age. Only those who were predisposed to evil, or, in a case like Verin, get themselves into tricky situations which forces them to become DF's, however, that was not always the case. It is not only those that are "evil" who join the Shadow. I wouldn't say that they were upstanding citizens, but they are not evil. The only example we have, IIRC, is Ingtar, who wasn't evil.

I can see many people in aMoL abandoning the Light. The DO hasn't really been noticeably present, the Shadowspawn were held back so nobody suspected the DO was growing stronger. Now however, TG has begun.

I can see despair of inevitable doom driving many to the Shadow. The foremost among them the Aiel, Tinkers and Seanchan, These three peoples have the most to lose, their whole culture has, or could potentially be, in the case of the Seanchan, be turned on its head. The Aiel with their history as WotL followers, at the time, the Shadow wasn't prominent, but now that all seems hopeless, and they think on the traditions that have been lies, they could turn to the Shadow to give them something, to rebel against it. The Tinkers with their WotL, when hordes of Shadowspawn slaughter their families, they may well despair and think that the WotL is a bunch of crap, and turn to the Shadow in anger. The Seanchan, with the possible revelations about the Damane and Sul'dam could similarly get angry at the deception of it all, and turn to the Shadow for retribution. The DO would promise anything, even though they won't get it, he will tempt them.

As for actual named characters, I don't think there are many that would TURN DF, the likes of Tenobia or Bashere, if they betray the Light, would have already been DF's.

I could see Gawyn turning, he is a mess and hates Rand enough to do it, should anything befall Egwene he wouldn't think twice about it.

Olver could, he is a strange kid, and he may not understand what is happening. If something happens with him and those around him in Caemlyn, he could misunderstand and run off with with a Forsaken or something, who has tricked him.

I could see Elaida, as was mentioned, she is pretty pissed at Egwene/White Tower, and she wouldn't be too keen to stay a damane, she gets the chance to escape, and she will go to the Shadow.

While I don't think it's likely, Alanna could possibly turn to the shadow. Her forcefully bonding Rand, which could have pushed him away from, or at worst, turned his wrath on all the Aes Sedai, has no doubt put her at the bottom of the dung heap of Aes Sedai just above the those who are Black Ajah. And then Rand goes and allows himself to be bonded by others, which really upset her, and the possibility of Rand's girl's, two very strong channelers who could utterly destroy her with a thought, wanting revenge on her for what she did and the fact she may never be respected as Aes Sedai for a very long time....Where was I? Ah yes. All that stacked up against her, she could very well have good reason to turn to the shadow, whom with her bond to Rand, would welcome her with open arms and the highest position below Forsaken within their ranks(Or just as likely tie her up and and torture her then kill her at the end to really screw Rand up) as a major tool against Rand.

Rand al'Thor.

I think it's very possible for Rand to be turned to the Shadow. It would make a nail biter of an ending. Rand dies, then if he is not resurrected by Nynaeve, then the DO will bring him back. Rand, broken and turned to the Shadow, bringing fear and sorrow to the hearts of men. While he breaks the world. Somehow he returns to the Light, perhaps rebonded after his rebirth.

Rand al'Thor.

I think it's very possible for Rand to be turned to the Shadow. It would make a nail biter of an ending. Rand dies, then if he is not resurrected by Nynaeve, then the DO will bring him back. Rand, broken and turned to the Shadow, bringing fear and sorrow to the hearts of men. While he breaks the world. Somehow he returns to the Light, perhaps rebonded after his rebirth.

Wow bold call. I don't necesarily see it happening at this point but I am often shocked at how some people in the fandom seemingly forget that the link with Mordin is still active when judging "Zen" Rand's actions. I've never understood why that doesn't give them pause as it most certainly still has a large role to play.

I would love to see one of the main characters, aside from Rand, who has already been through the whole Dark phase.

Mat could be awesome. Mat and Demandred would destroy much together. With his Foxhead, he could kill Rand and other channelers.

Perrin. He could be the leader of the Darkhounds and destroy the wolves, also fight Egwene and such in TAR.

Nynaeve could become another Semirhage, and her anger would be greater than Demandred's and Mesaana's both.

Egwene. The Tower could truly be unified under the Shadow, and her skills in TAR would be useful. Lanfear might have a thing or two to teach her about breaking the wards on Rand's dreams...

Elayne. Wouldn't be much use at the present really. She is queen though, of Andor and Cairhien, the least she could do is offer Caemlyn and Cairhien (the city) to fill the Trolloc cook-pots. Not to mention the bond with Rand, and his affections for her, and his children (if he ever actually finds out)

Aviendha would be pretty sweet. She could doom the Aiel even if the DO is sealed away, she could make sure of it. The Bond + connection to Rand again. Not to mention she could kill both Egwene and Elayne, who are close friends of hers. They are all equal in the Power, but she is a warrior. And if they don't expect it....

Egwene. The Tower could truly be unified under the Shadow, and her skills in TAR would be useful. Lanfear might have a thing or two to teach her about breaking the wards on Rand's dreams...

It doesn't really fit within the themes and framewrok of the story but could you imagine how huge that would be? It would seriously drive the fandom into a total frenzy...I think if things were a bit different it could have been a really cool twist.

Wow bold call. I don't necesarily see it happening at this point but I am often shocked at how some people in the fandom seemingly forget that the link with Mordin is still active when judging "Zen" Rand's actions. I've never understood why that doesn't give them pause as it most certainly still has a large role to play.

Agreed on the timing. I have nothing more than a vague intuition right now. The the clues I have are Sha'rah game played by Moridin, where the Fisher (Rand) can change sides many times during a game and the Prophecies of the Shadow.

Daughter of the Night, she walks again. The ancient war, she yet fights. Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.

This has yet to happen, though Moiraine had seen this possibility in Rhuidean.

The other two paths were much worse. Down one, Lanfear killed you. Down the other, she carried you away, and when next we saw you, you called yourself Lews Therin Telamon and were her devoted lover.

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.

I interpret this as Rand, the Broken Wolf will fall to Moridin(Death) and the remaining Forsaken. Rand admitted to Egwene that he almost went over during Veins of Gold and was baited into fighting at the Battle of Maradon.

Despite the taint on Saidin being healed, the effects still remain on Rand's mind and the only thing protecting his sanity is the glow that keeps the darkness away. That may come into play as much as the Moridin link.

And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful.

I think victory for either side won't be apparent until after Rand's blood is spilled. And that's what will make it an epic nail biter.

Gawyn is about the only guy I don't care about. He's a stale character, a filler to give Egwene someone to fool with as far as I'm concerned. But that's just my opinion. If he gets knocked off by some random arrow or fireball, I wouldn't care either way. lol.

Gawyn is about the only guy I don't care about. He's a stale character, a filler to give Egwene someone to fool with as far as I'm concerned. But that's just my opinion. If he gets knocked off by some random arrow or fireball, I wouldn't care either way. lol.

totally agree, unless he does something momentous then the only real times i enjoyed reading about him is saving egwene and getting stomped by matt

Archived