DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which character or characters will betray the light at TG?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible DF Reveals: Sorilea, Queen Alliandre of Ghealdan, many others, but first to come to mind.

Possible Turn Against the Light in aMoL:

-Rand: Given the Moridin link, is still a possibility, but one I don't really think will happen given we've finally seen him defeat this battle in VoG

-Gawyn: This kid is unstable. All he needs are a nudge here and there, and I could definitely see it happening.

-Perrin: Again, I think doubtful. We've seen him come as close as he can to betraying his morals in order to gain something with Faile. He's grown since then, I think, and to do the same character battle again if Faile were to die, and the DO promised to bring her back if he turned would be too over the top.

-Mat: I just don't know what the DO could offer him to make him possibly turn. While I know he loves Tuon, I don't think he would betray the Light and his friends to save her life. More so than the other Two, he handles death, being responsible for death, and women's deaths much better. Sure, it tears him up a bit inside, but he's learned to move on, to feel terrible, but move on.

-Min: More than the other two loves in Rand's life, her whole support is given to Rand. She fiercely is trying to fight Rand having to die at TG. And who might be able to make that happen? Well, the DO...

-Tuon: She is only starting to realize that she may actually Love Mat. This is a completely new emotion for her to have, and if Mat were placed in a certain situation, I could see her possibly Turning to save his life. This turning wouldn't necessarily keep Rand from winning TG, but it would definitely give some interesting twists for the once planned "Outrigger" novels. She still loves Mat, and Mat loves her, but she is secretly a DF. Also gives added meaning to the future-titled "Raven Empire". Just saying..

@DaoineSidhe Good list, and good reasoning. There's been potential for the 3 taveeren to turn, but it seems a very remote possibility now. Gawyn: unstable is dead on. A foreshadowing is in Terez's sig as well. Min: Don't want to believe it. I don't think she would sell out to have Rand "not die", and iirc she knows that to live he must die.

@Skyfire: I don't want to believe it of Min either. She is my favorite of Rand's three beauties (although I liked Aviendha a lot when she played a bigger role with him), and I just like her down-to-earth personality. However, that being said, once I started looking at it critically for the purposes of answering this question, she started to really stick out to me. More so than anyone else, whenever anyone mentions Rand dying, she seems to get angry about it, and doesn't accept it. She fights it every chance she gets. Cadsuane mentions how people aiming for close to same thing can in actuality be aiming for very different goals. Well, with Min, I don't think anyone realizes how much she wants Rand to survive. If it is presented in the right way, in the right circumstance, I could see Min Turning, or maybe unintentionally betraying the Light, to try and ensure Rand's survival.

On the other hand, once I starting thinking about Tuon turning to save Mat at some point, the more I really like it. Verin has already started the idea of not all DFs being "EVIL" people, and this would have been just great reading for the "Outrigger" novels, if they had happened. It probably won't happen, but I can wish...

I had a theory in between tGS and TofM that Gawyn would go to the Black Tower after the meeting with Rand and Egwene, and end up either turning to the shadow, or perhaps at the last minute turning back when he saw the price his hatred of Rand was taking him too.

He's still a possibiliy, but I think it'd be rushed, and now most of his emotional reasons have been taken away. Bashere is a possibility, what with Min's viewing of the something dark around him, with the added comment that 'if he turns against you, or dies...'

i am baffled that non has mentioned any children of light as would be DF. I mean the high inquisitor and his minions are more than plusable to turn to the dark they are at least on the top of my list and don't forget child Byar ( even if he mayby already are a df).

Remembered that Byar is dead. I read the book in March so my memory has faded a little.

@Luckers:

While I like the idea of Bashere Turning, I just haven't been able to work out the Temptation that the Shadow will offer him to cause him to Turn. I'd imagine Diera would have to be at the center of any Turning of Davram, but what do you think Diera would do to Davram if she found out he was DF? The only thing I ever really thought plausible with Davram was that he had been a DF all along, but well now that Rand Sedai can see DF's, well, Davram's still hanging around, and he's been in Rand's company post-epiphany, and no awkward not willing to look at Rand's face stuff.

@Luckers:

While I like the idea of Bashere Turning, I just haven't been able to work out the Temptation that the Shadow will offer him to cause him to Turn. I'd imagine Diera would have to be at the center of any Turning of Davram, but what do you think Diera would do to Davram if she found out he was DF? The only thing I ever really thought plausible with Davram was that he had been a DF all along, but well now that Rand Sedai can see DF's, well, Davram's still hanging around, and he's been in Rand's company post-epiphany, and no awkward not willing to look at Rand's face stuff.

Perhaps Deira and Bashere are both DFs, like Verin and Tomas her warder.

As for not being able to look at Rand's face:

http://www.dragonmou...40#entry1934606

et seq.

Bashere is not a darkfriend, I would be willing to bet anything on it. Nor will he become a member of the Shadow. He is and has always been (since book 5 anyway) one of Rands biggets supporters and one of his most valuable allies. There is as much chance of Bashere being a darkfriend as Dobraine or Cadsuane.

@Luckers:

Deira taken as a hostage and used against him, maybe? We do know that Bashere has to be invalidated for Perrin and Faile to attain the Broken Crown (which they will). Death or turning to the Shadow would do that....

My vote goes to Bela, because- wait for it- she is a dark horse.

Bad jokes aside I don't think anyone even slightly important is going to turn bad at this point. There may be a couple of newly discovered DFs but there isn't anyone who'll betray the Light by his or her own volition at this point.

I hope you are wrong. I want to see someone major turn, just because I think it would really happen that way. Someone we care about as the readers will be tempted by the shadow and turn thus showing us that no one is safe and making the conflict that much more important to us.

Bashere is not a darkfriend, I would be willing to bet anything on it. Nor will he become a member of the Shadow. He is and has always been (since book 5 anyway) one of Rands biggets supporters and one of his most valuable allies. There is as much chance of Bashere being a darkfriend as Dobraine or Cadsuane.

But would you have thought Vern was a DF? That caught me totally off guard. I don't think Bashere will turn, I do think he dies though. I think that Dobraine could turn, but its not likely and I don't see Cadsuane turning at all as she risked death to help Rand, even after he foolishly banished her.

But would you have thought Vern was a DF? That caught me totally off guard. I don't think Bashere will turn, I do think he dies though. I think that Dobraine could turn, but its not likely and I don't see Cadsuane turning at all as she risked death to help Rand, even after he foolishly banished her.

Yes most people thought Verin was BA. Though I bought in to the "she is purple ajah" theory from many years ago that kind of turned out to be right.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the last two books - and maybe its just me, but as much as I liked Egwene's stubbornness when dealing with Elaida, I think it goes too far when she is dealing with Rand.

For some reason I see her trying to do whatever it takes to keep Rand from doing what he believes he needs to do to win. Egwene only sees what she thinks is good for the Tower...therefore I really seeing her take whatever chance she may have to stop Rand from doing his Rand-thing. In her mind she may not be betraying the light, but using a higher power for the greater good?

I'm thinking - if maybe given the option of Rand breaking the seals and imprisoning the Dark One for all time - she may think "what use are Aes Sedai now? We have to stop him or my life has no meaning."

Maybe not the best written argument here, but I just don't trust her now to do what is best for the light. I see her doing what is best for her needs.

I just read the last two books - and maybe its just me, but as much as I liked Egwene's stubbornness when dealing with Elaida, I think it goes too far when she is dealing with Rand.

For some reason I see her trying to do whatever it takes to keep Rand from doing what he believes he needs to do to win. Egwene only sees what she thinks is good for the Tower...therefore I really seeing her take whatever chance she may have to stop Rand from doing his Rand-thing. In her mind she may not be betraying the light, but using a higher power for the greater good?

I'm thinking - if maybe given the option of Rand breaking the seals and imprisoning the Dark One for all time - she may think "what use are Aes Sedai now? We have to stop him or my life has no meaning."

Maybe not the best written argument here, but I just don't trust her now to do what is best for the light. I see her doing what is best for her needs.

At the same time we have Min's visions that Egwene and Nynaeve are central to Rand's success. The group that Min saw included the 3 ta'veren, Egwene, Moiraine, Lan, and Nynaeve. They are tied and need each other to win this thing. Even Rand tells Egwene that she's done her part (presumably in the war effort) by securing the Amyrlin's stole on her shoulder.

Saying Egwene puts the needs of herself or the WT over helping the light is unequivocally false. We have been hammered over the head with the responsibility she feels. The line of reasoning around not wanting Rand to imprison the DO for all time is absurd. She has called AS fools and vowed that the WT must change. It has been made clear in her pov that the most important thing about the reunification of the WT was that they were now ready to fight the last battle. Now one could argue wether AS are still the best group to lead the light against the shadow but that is a different topic entirely.

Saying Egwene puts the needs of herself or the WT over helping the light is unequivocally false. We have been hammered over the head with the responsibility she feels. The line of reasoning around not wanting Rand to imprison the DO for all time is absurd. She has called AS fools and vowed that the WT must change. It has been made clear in her pov that the most important thing about the reunification of the WT was that they were now ready to fight the last battle. Now one could argue wether AS are still the best group to lead the light against the shadow but that is a different topic entirely.

Yeah see...thats exactly why she will turn. She has a responsibility as the Am Seat to do something or another...so she will take the opportunity the DO gives her..power. Its the whole with great power comes great hill billy

It like rhys ifan in Spider Man. He was a good guy, gets some power and decides the world should share...in a demented way.

althought realistically this will not happen i admit because with only one book left, theres no time to expand the Eqwene character this way.

So I know I'm a bit of an idealist/romantic, but surely I'm not the only one who hopes tha none of the main characters turn to the Shadow. Bar perhaps Elayne I'd be most upset if any of the others became pawns of the DO.

From a plot point of view it would certainly be interesting and would keep all of us on our toes. I'm sooooo conflicted about this last installment!!!

I had a theory in between tGS and TofM that Gawyn would go to the Black Tower after the meeting with Rand and Egwene, and end up either turning to the shadow, or perhaps at the last minute turning back when he saw the price his hatred of Rand was taking him too.

He's still a possibiliy, but I think it'd be rushed, and now most of his emotional reasons have been taken away. Bashere is a possibility, what with Min's viewing of the something dark around him, with the added comment that 'if he turns against you, or dies...'

Davram 'the Broken Wolf' Bashere will not turn DF, that darkness around him is the despair and hopelessness it will cause when he, along with his sizeable chunk of Rand's army, 'falls and is consumed by the midnight towers'.... As you quoted, even Min thought it may be his death, not a betrayal.

Sidenote: his sign is the wolf, and he is next in line for the Broken Crown of Saldaea, so, when tenobia bites it, or steps down or whatever... Tada! One Broken Wolf :)

Archived