DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which character or characters will betray the light at TG?

IT wasn't him who blew the trumpet, but one soldier in Ituralde's army. Remember not all high ranking DF's are nobility. And just because they are noble, it does not make them high ranking. A king could be ordered by a beggar in the DF society.

Point being, one DF placed in an army can wreak havoc. This tactic, whether or not it was or was not a DF in this case, can be used by the Shadow. All it takes is one inconspicuous man.

Unless Rand is going to stare down hundreds of thousands of soldiers, it is as easy as that.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can one DF in an army wreck havoc? At the most, he can kill one or two people, people don't just listen to one trumputeer and if all the other one's say something else they will do that.

Rand al'Thor.

I think it's very possible for Rand to be turned to the Shadow. It would make a nail biter of an ending. Rand dies, then if he is not resurrected by Nynaeve, then the DO will bring him back. Rand, broken and turned to the Shadow, bringing fear and sorrow to the hearts of men. While he breaks the world. Somehow he returns to the Light, perhaps rebonded after his rebirth.

I'd enjoy this, particularly if by some insanity LTT showed up to crush him

The trumpeter might merely be a man who panicked. Not sure if someone else mentioned that but it is possible.

One Darkfriend could do a lot of damage- imagine him turn assassin and bump off Ituralde, Perrin, Matt, or any number of leaders. Heck they wouldn't even need to kill them just incapacitate them at the proper moment.

As to "Light side characters" betraying the light-Some have already been mentioned so I will throw out a few that haven't...

It may not be a deleberate act of serving the shadow but we still don't know if Lan knows or what he will do should he learn Isam is alive. In TGH Morraine was concerned about that very thing. Highly unlikely since the last sight we saw of him was charging near Tarwin's Gap but would Lan put aside a battle and the soldiers behind him for revenge for the destruction of Malkier? When any leader takes a personel vendetta it can go very bad for their followers.

I could see a leader in Caemlyn filling the roll of a Petain (Vichy-France) kind of deal- Talemanes, Dyelin(spelling), or possibly some others....It depends on who or what is leading the trollocs- is it one of the forsaken, is it myddraal (Spelling), or even dark friends in the Black Tower?

Dobraine- almost killed, has recieved nothing for his service to Rand- not sure if he was mentioned but might be a candidate as well.

The Aes Sedai with the first of Mayene- I forget her name but didn't that Aes Sedai have private and secret meetings with Masema? Masema who clearly fell into shadow and madness?

Lastly Severus Snape shows up and wipes out everyone for being idiots, including the Dark One and then proceedes to rule Randland..and he boxes Egwene's ears for good measure....

JK :D

Dark-friends are everywhere right so why not the two rivers.

Top suspects

1. Coplins Or Congars

2. Cenn Buie

3. Someone new

4. one of the Al Vere's

I think we will see someone turned to the shadow via 13x13 trick.

Top Suspects

1. Egwene

2. Fortuona/Tuon

3. Cadsuane

4. Morgase (I don't think they said anything about strength making a difference.)

5. A Wise one

Wow, I never thought of Fortuona/Tuon being turned by the 13x13 trick. Wonder if that's possible for semi-untrained channelers like her?

madterryk mentioned Lan above, and while I don't think Lan would turn to the Shadow, it's just occurred to me now that a Forsaken or high-up Darkfriend could use Slayer to make people THINK Lan has turned. I seem to remember Nynaeve seeing Slayer in TAR once, and horrified because she mistook him for Lan and he tried to kill her. Don't have a quote, but I think it was in TSR, when Slayer first appears in the narrative.

Wow, I never thought of Fortuona/Tuon being turned by the 13x13 trick. Wonder if that's possible for semi-untrained channelers like her?

madterryk mentioned Lan above, and while I don't think Lan would turn to the Shadow, it's just occurred to me now that a Forsaken or high-up Darkfriend could use Slayer to make people THINK Lan has turned. I seem to remember Nynaeve seeing Slayer in TAR once, and horrified because she mistook him for Lan and he tried to kill her. Don't have a quote, but I think it was in TSR, when Slayer first appears in the narrative.

Nynaeve would know better than to think that that was the real Lan, other's know that too, his build is just similar and some facial features.

I wouldn't mind a character turning to the Shadow. It always struck me as a little unbelievable that there were no modern Demandred's and Be'lal's to turn during the war--after all with the Dark One's freedom in sight, so too is the potential benefits of serving him.

I think it would be really hard to convey a character turning to the Shadow. Everyone would be far more likely to assume that they had always been a darkfriend than that they decided to go dark right then.

I always thought Gawyn had potential. Zaida too--unhappy with the Bargain with the Coramoor, she may well seek a better Bargain.

Egwene. The Tower could truly be unified under the Shadow, and her skills in TAR would be useful. Lanfear might have a thing or two to teach her about breaking the wards on Rand's dreams...

It doesn't really fit within the themes and framewrok of the story but could you imagine how huge that would be? It would seriously drive the fandom into a total frenzy...I think if things were a bit different it could have been a really cool twist.

Egwene al'Vere betraying al'Thor... yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinevere

Egwene. The Tower could truly be unified under the Shadow, and her skills in TAR would be useful. Lanfear might have a thing or two to teach her about breaking the wards on Rand's dreams...

It doesn't really fit within the themes and framewrok of the story but could you imagine how huge that would be? It would seriously drive the fandom into a total frenzy...I think if things were a bit different it could have been a really cool twist.

Egwene al'Vere betraying al'Thor... yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinevere

Right. I'm not giving up hope of that, just yet. It would transform Egwene from my least favorite character to my most favorite. And it would definately enhance my opinion of Jordan. As of right now, I think Egwene is a complete Mary Sue, and that Jordan didn't realize that is not to his credit. But if it's all a feint ....beautiful.

I wouldn't mind a character turning to the Shadow. It always struck me as a little unbelievable that there were no modern Demandred's and Be'lal's to turn during the war--after all with the Dark One's freedom in sight, so too is the potential benefits of serving him.

The next best couple of thing to a modern Demandred or Be'lal are the Black Ajah and Taim's BT faction. There was considerable evil genius behind those two schemes.

Galad, it would be really ironic to have the one who always did the right thing to do the wrong thing.

Galad, it would be really ironic to have the one who always did the right thing to do the wrong thing.

Galad is not a darkfriend though. It would have come out in his POV segments.

I think some of the wise ones, wind finders and Kin will turn out to be darkfriends.

I think the "main" characters are out of the question: Rand, Perrin, Mat, Egwene, Nyneave, Elayne, Min, Aviendha, Moiraine, Loial, Lan, and Thom are all good to go. I'd throw in Galad, Gawyn, Siuan, Cadsuane, Leane, and Logain as well.

Tuon could screw things up through ingorance (as if she isn't already). Elaida through weakness. But in terms of an intentional betrayal?

I love the idea of Loial's mother. Tenobia and Bashere are also interesting. Sorilea.

1. Captain General Lunal Galgan, charged with the Return. Presented Abaldar Yulan, who proposed the raid on the White Tower.
  2. King Roederan of Murandy (standing army, enough cash to afford the services of the Band of the Red Hand)
  3. I also think the Shaido will be back. They could easily be swept up by Moridin. Mass Compulsion? Already darkfriends, it is known. (teehee)

[*]King Roederan of Murandy (standing army, enough cash to afford the services of the Band of the Red Hand)

Demandred betrayed the light a long time ago.

we don't know if he is roedran for sure though

Archived