DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A List of Unanswered Questions/Unresolved Plotlines

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logain was "released" by Egwene very shortly after LoC 52.

Barring him luckily running into a BT recruiting party within a day or two of his escape, it's not likely enough time for him to get there.

Hmm who else could have taken the little man? (i am sure there is already a thread for this. I will go look)

Could it have been Soriela(Sp)? It seems like she is leaning toward being a DF, and I am pretty sure she was there, and would have been one of the few people who knew what it was, that he had it when he was taken, and that he would be looking for it. If it wasn't Taim, Logain, another Forsaken, or some random AS/Ashaman it seems like she may one of the remaining suspects.

Back on topic: Where was Perrin in the prologue of ToM?

He was in a dream like place trying to make his hammer. He says to himself several times it was not the "wolf dream" but seemed to be a mix or regular dreams and the Wolf Dream. This seems similar to the place Rand speaks with Mordin, and possibly where Rand speaks with Cydanyne(SP) at the end. I have not done a reread of this book yet, and the first time through I barely came up for air, so maybe this was answered already.

Logain was "released" by Egwene very shortly after LoC 52.

Barring him luckily running into a BT recruiting party within a day or two of his escape, it's not likely enough time for him to get there.

We don't get to see Logain for two books between his "escape" and his return to the Black Tower. He could have been up to anything. For all we know the Fat Little Man was trampled into the dirt somewhere along the path and Logain stubbed his toe on it weeks after the battle.

3. Already mentioned, and fairly obvious, but who the hell is Taim anyway? Clearly he's not just another False Dragon. He knows way too much for that to be the case. I'm betting either Moridin or else some other AoL channeler that was somehow trapped in time in a stasis box or vacuole (after all, there has to be some reason RJ told us about vacuoles) or something. He just knows things that it doesn't make sense that he could've figured out on his own, not to mention staying sane for as long as he has. At the very least he was probably instructed by one of the Forsaken, probably Ishamael. In any case, if that question isn't answered I will be very annoyed.

I realize this is far a bit from back, but I saw it, so I'll answer part of it. We know he is not Mordin. I'd have to look up the exact RJ quote, but he confirmed Taim is not Mordin in an interview.

Edit: Whoops, I tried to find the quote, and realized that he did NOT say this. He said Taim wasn't Demandred (I notice other people have also realized the same thing). Sorry, my bad

3. Already mentioned, and fairly obvious, but who the hell is Taim anyway? Clearly he's not just another False Dragon. He knows way too much for that to be the case. I'm betting either Moridin or else some other AoL channeler that was somehow trapped in time in a stasis box or vacuole (after all, there has to be some reason RJ told us about vacuoles) or something. He just knows things that it doesn't make sense that he could've figured out on his own, not to mention staying sane for as long as he has. At the very least he was probably instructed by one of the Forsaken, probably Ishamael. In any case, if that question isn't answered I will be very annoyed.

I realize this is far a bit from back, but I saw it, so I'll answer part of it. We know he is not Mordin. I'd have to look up the exact RJ quote, but he confirmed Taim is not Mordin in an interview.

Nope he confirmed Taim is not Demandred in multiple interviews. He never discounted Taim as Moridin, a large amount of evidence points to them not being the same person however.

Nope he confirmed Taim is not Demandred in multiple interviews. He never discounted Taim as Moridin, a large amount of evidence points to them not being the same person however.

Yeah, I don't think he's Moridin either, but he definately knows things he shouldn't if he was a regular third ager and has second age mannerisms ("so-called" Aiel etc.), and knows many things I don't see how he could've just figured out on his own, like how to test men for the power. I'm just interested to find out who he is, or how he came up with all this knowledge. If that question isn't answered in AMoL I will be sorely disappointed.

Just came across this one in my re-read of ACoS. It's from Chapter 40, Shaidar Haran's POV:

A sudden ache climbed the back of its neck; a faint weakness washed along its limbs. Too long away from Shayol Ghul. That tie had to be severed somehow. With a snarl, it turned to find the edge of shadow that it needed. The day was coming. It would come.

I have no idea what the bolded part means. Does it want to cut itself off from the Dark One or is it something else? Very odd indeed.

2. Who sent the pretend Aiel to attack that one Aes Sedai from the Salidar embassy? Thinking about it and what happened after, I suppose it could've been Verin trying to sabotage the meeting with Rand, which she did later by encouraging them to confront him. I'm sure she knew exactly what the result would be. It would be nice to know for sure though.

Wasn't this Fain?

Fain isn't outside the realm of possibility. One of the "Aiel" does refer to the Aes Sedai as "Witches," indicating it could've been a Whitecloak in disguise, but what would he gain by it? It just doesn't seem like something Fain would do. He's all about striking Rand directly like with the Whitecloak assassin ambush earlier in the same book.

The Whitecloaks are not the only ones who refer to the AS as witches.

Taim's cronies do it as well, Gedwin, to be specific, in TPOD22.

They have plenty of reasons to try to drive a wedge between Rand, the Aiel and the AS

I also agree that this attack just doesn't fit Fain's modus operandi at all.

edit - I forgot to post my suggestions

Three minor points that are bugging me at the moment:

- Is Edorion definitely a DF? And, is he working for Demandred now that Sammael is no more?

- Is Sleete a DF (and Hattori)? If not, then why is he unshaven and following Gawyn around the WT? And, how does a middling AS end up with a near legendary blademaster for Warder?

- What part will Nesune's awsome observational skills and total recall memory play in AMoL?

Here's one I just saw in Winter's Heart:

Who is the Forsaken that sends Slayer to kill Rand in Far Madding? Whoever it was he had his face and voice disguised. He's pretty clear it was a male Forsaken, though I suppose it could be a red herring... but why would a female disguise herself? It's pretty clear all the female Forsaken don't give a crap about Saidin being cleansed (Mesaana doesn't even show up, and Moghedien tries to hide the whole time), but the male ones seem to be going nuts about it.

Some people have theorized that this is an indication Sammael is still alive (since technically we don't see him die on screen). I'm curious to find out who it is.

Interestingly, Winter's Heart also puts a stick in the spokes of the whole Taim=Moridin argument since we have a DF Asha'man POV (Kisman I believe) who mentions getting orders from Taim, Demandred and Moridin all three. Taim and Demandred both tell him to kill Rand, while Moridin says to kill him if you have to, but bring me all of his possessions. If Taim=Moridin, why would he issue the same Asha'man two different sets of orders?

So that, once again brings up the question of who is Taim exactly? If we don't get a clear answer on who he is and why he has second age knowledge and mannerisms, I will be most disappointed.

Who is the Forsaken that sends Slayer to kill Rand in Far Madding? Whoever it was he had his face and voice disguised. He's pretty clear it was a male Forsaken, though I suppose it could be a red herring... but why would a female disguise herself? It's pretty clear all the female Forsaken don't give a crap about Saidin being cleansed (Mesaana doesn't even show up, and Moghedien tries to hide the whole time), but the male ones seem to be going nuts about it.

Some people have theorized that this is an indication Sammael is still alive (since technically we don't see him die on screen). I'm curious to find out who it is.

Sammael is definately dead, and he's not coming back. RJ confirmed that.

Other than the Forsaken, Taim could have been commanding Slayer, though if so I imagine he was doing it on the sly.

Well, assuming we can take RJ's "Sammael is toast" statement at face value and there isn't some Aes Sedai styled trickery in there, the question remains. Since the other Forsaken seem to think it's Sammael, the question becomes: who is impersonating Sammael?

Still a very good mystery, and one I hope Brandon answers in AMoL.

Well, assuming we can take RJ's "Sammael is toast" statement at face value and there isn't some Aes Sedai styled trickery in there, the question remains. Since the other Forsaken seem to think it's Sammael, the question becomes: who is impersonating Sammael?

Still a very good mystery, and one I hope Brandon answers in AMoL.

We can take it at face value. Sammael is gone and he's not coming back.

My theory about the impersonator is that its Taim, elevated to the level of Chosen. If your curious on my thoughts clink on the link to my theories in my sig, its under 'The Attack on Algarin's manor'.

It wanted to sever the tie to shayol ghul so it could be out it the world as long as needed and not have to go back to rest.

I wonder whether it would find the BT 'restful', with all that SG rock around..

Ooh, that's a good catch. A home away from home you might say.

SG, BT, Moridin's fortress and the Midnight Towers cover the area of operations quite well. Makes you wander if there are other construction sites we've not heard of yet.

What is on the freaking book ter'angreal?????

Maybe it's just me, but any ammount of AoL knowledge, and possibly some fragments that predate AoL, seems a little too important to find it in KoD, spend a sentence explaining what it does, and then move on and not mention it again. For all they know, it could have a full bio on all the "three name" Forsaken, including their favorite weaves and what kind of food they gobble down too fast to think to check for poison. :)

This is #1 in my questions, recently. Not TG, not BT, not SH or Fain; book ter'angreal. Like a splinter under my skin.

Yeah, I don't think he's Moridin either, but he definately knows things he shouldn't if he was a regular third ager and has second age mannerisms ("so-called" Aiel etc.), and knows many things I don't see how he could've just figured out on his own, like how to test men for the power. I'm just interested to find out who he is, or how he came up with all this knowledge. If that question isn't answered in AMoL I will be sorely disappointed.

There is the eerie connection that Moridin has built his little tower/town out in the Blight out of black stone, and we learned that Taim's black tower/palace is built out of black stone quarried from Shayol Ghul itself...

There is the eerie connection that Moridin has built his little tower/town out in the Blight out of black stone, and we learned that Taim's black tower/palace is built out of black stone quarried from Shayol Ghul itself...

Vairy in-teresting!!

In skimming through this thread, to see whether my question had been put up anywhere, I found something rather interesting: a couple of people have the poem fragment as their signatures: "We rode on the winds of the rising storm / We ran to the sounds of the thunder / We danced among the lightning bolts / And tore the world asunder." This is a fantastic piece of poetry, and I'd love to read the entire thing - that would be my 'unresolved' issue that I wanted to post.

The interesting thing is, though - my version is slightly different; the first two lines read: "We ran against the driving rain / We roared the song of thunder". How come it's different at all? Is it a US vs UK release, or was it edited for a later print run?

Edit - Cool; this is my 100th post!

I don't know why it's different, but the stanza is likely all that exists. IIRC, it was said to have been written by LTT.

LTT was from the 2nd Age.

The passage is said to have been written in the 3rd Age and sometimes attributed to the Dragon Reborn.

Archived