DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A List of Unanswered Questions/Unresolved Plotlines

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't checked the whole thread, but something occurred to me the other day. Mat bought a yew stave to make a Two Rivers bow in KoD 'A Stave and a Razor' since he left his other one at the Terasin Palace when he fled. Later in KoD, he contemplates using the bow when the peddler is being drawn into the ground along with the Shiotan village that disappeared in front of Luca's menagerie (for a mercy kill), though it was just a hair away from being usable. I might have forgotten something, but since then I can't remember the bow being used for anything. Perhaps not even mentioned at all. Does anyone think it will play a part in AMoL? It was actually named in the chapter title when Mat found it, and the Razor turned out to be a fairly important thing for Mat's story. I hope it isn't another loose thread that gets lost with the author switch.

I stroingly suspect it's just that, actually. Another one in the same vein: Egeanin's sword is gone. It's mentioned a number of times in KoD and earlier but never in tGS and TOM. in aMoL she is carrying a cudgel all of a sudden which she never did before and even thinks of sparring with the Aiel using it.

BTW, this might put a damper on the idea that Egeanin is the seanchan woman with a sword rescuing Egwene in one of her dreams.

I believe Egeanin wore a cudgel when she first met Elayne and Nynaeve

I haven't checked the whole thread, but something occurred to me the other day. Mat bought a yew stave to make a Two Rivers bow in KoD 'A Stave and a Razor' since he left his other one at the Terasin Palace when he fled. Later in KoD, he contemplates using the bow when the peddler is being drawn into the ground along with the Shiotan village that disappeared in front of Luca's menagerie (for a mercy kill), though it was just a hair away from being usable. I might have forgotten something, but since then I can't remember the bow being used for anything. Perhaps not even mentioned at all. Does anyone think it will play a part in AMoL? It was actually named in the chapter title when Mat found it, and the Razor turned out to be a fairly important thing for Mat's story. I hope it isn't another loose thread that gets lost with the author switch.

I stroingly suspect it's just that, actually. Another one in the same vein: Egeanin's sword is gone. It's mentioned a number of times in KoD and earlier but never in tGS and TOM. in aMoL she is carrying a cudgel all of a sudden which she never did before and even thinks of sparring with the Aiel using it.

BTW, this might put a damper on the idea that Egeanin is the seanchan woman with a sword rescuing Egwene in one of her dreams.

I thought she wore a cudgel as well...

No, she didn't, I checked. She had a staff which she used to help them but no cudgel.

No, she didn't, I checked. She had a staff which she used to help them but no cudgel.

Domon carried a cudgel early in the series. Perhaps it is his and she is trying to look less threatening.

Domon carried a cudgel early in the series. Perhaps it is his and she is trying to look less threatening.

That's some serious clutching for straws. If that's were the reason it would have to be explicitly spelled out in the text. It's completely wasted otherwise as none of the readers would notice this.

That's some serious clutching for straws. If that's were the reason it would have to be explicitly spelled out in the text. It's completely wasted otherwise as none of the readers would notice this.

That is most certainly not grasping at straws. I have no idea why she is no longer carrying a sword. I gave a guess. More likely it is a Branonism, but there may be a reason. I do not really care. The cudgel is clearly Domon's. He has carried it throughout the series. I clearly remember him having it while travelling with Mat after the leaving Lucas's show.

That is most certainly not grasping at straws. I have no idea why she is no longer carrying a sword. I gave a guess. More likely it is a Branonism, but there may be a reason. I do not really care. The cudgel is clearly Domon's. He has carried it throughout the series. I clearly remember him having it while travelling with Mat after the leaving Lucas's show.

oh, come on! So the reader has to remember that Domon had a cudgel (I assure you most people don't), infer that the cudgel is his and she has it to make him look less threatening. Nothing of the sort is even hinted in the text. Instead we are told

She rested a hand on the side of her pack; she’d stowed her cudgel in a long pocket on the side, easily within reach.

No writer would do that.

oh, come on! So the reader has to remember that Domon had a cudgel (I assure you most people don't), infer that the cudgel is his and she has it to make him look less threatening. Nothing of the sort is even hinted in the text. Instead we are told

She rested a hand on the side of her pack; she’d stowed her cudgel in a long pocket on the side, easily within reach.

No writer would do that.

As I stated, I have no idea why she does not have her sword or why she is caring only the cudgel. As far as the less threatening comment, I was only trying to give a valid reason. If there is no valid reason than Brandon forgot this detail. But I have no doubt that it is Domon's. Why should a reader not remember that Domon has carried a cudgel since TGH? He had it in Falme, Tanchico, Ebou Dar and during the escape from Altara. Perhaps he had it tEotW too, I would have to look that up.

Edit: grammar

No writer would do that.

As I stated, I have no idea why she does not have her sword or why she is caring only the cudgel. As far as the less threatening comment, I was only trying to give a valid reason. If there is no valid reason than Brandon forgot this detail. But I have no doubt that it is Domon's. Why should a reader not remember that Domon has carried a cudgel since TGH? He had it in Falme, Tanchico, Ebou Dar and during the escape from Altara. Perhaps he had it tEotW too, I would have to look that up.

Edit: grammar

I appreciate that I'm not as aware of the details as a lot of posters here, but surely the point of her having a staff instead of a sword, regardless of whether it's a cudgel now, does set a precedent that she doesn't always wear a sword?

I wasn't saying that Egeanin always wore a sword in every scene. She didn't. But her sword was mentioned quite often and RJ was very particular and consistent with which characters used which weapons. The last we see of of it I think is in Karede's POV in KOD, Ch36

Two men and two women sitting together on camp stools had been conversing when Karede rode up, but as he was stepping down, a stern-faced woman stood and fixed her blue eyes on his in very nearly a challenge. She wore a sword on a wide leather strap slanting across her chest, the way some sailors did. Her hair was close-cropped rather than cut in the style of the low Blood, her fingernails were short and none were lacquered, but he was certain she was Egeanin Tamarath.

It's not mentioned a single time in tGS and TOM even while in Mat's company (the same exact position as in KOD where her sword is mentioned several times) and in AMOL she has a cudgel which she never did before. This clearly looks like a result of the author switch of the same kind that Sid mentioned with Mat's bow. BS was never famous for attention to those kind of details and such things are plentiful in tGS and TOM. I remember people trying to find justification for a number of them (like Graendal seeing the compulsion weaves made by Aran'gar) until BS admitted that they were simply mistakes. Some were retconned later. Same goes for trying to argue that it's Domon's cudgel and not hers IMO. BTW, she thinks of the cudgel as hers and not Domon's. And she is not actually wearing it. It's stowed in her pack which makes it even less likely that it's Domon's.

But in any case the whole thing is only important because of its possible relation to Egwene's dream from COT, CH 20 about a Seanchan woman with a sword saving her. If this was Egeanin (as I and many others have argued in the past) then it would be very strange that BS would skip her sword and give her a different weapon without a single word of explanation.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the letters that Rand, Galad, and a few others received. It seemed that they got those letters from Verin as they were all described having a red seal. I had assumed that they were warnings on the incipient attack on Caemlyn through the Ways. After reading the prologue, perhaps not?

I wasn't saying that Egeanin always wore a sword in every scene. She didn't. But her sword was mentioned quite often and RJ was very particular and consistent with which characters used which weapons. The last we see of of it I think is in Karede's POV in KOD, Ch36

Two men and two women sitting together on camp stools had been conversing when Karede rode up, but as he was stepping down, a stern-faced woman stood and fixed her blue eyes on his in very nearly a challenge. She wore a sword on a wide leather strap slanting across her chest, the way some sailors did. Her hair was close-cropped rather than cut in the style of the low Blood, her fingernails were short and none were lacquered, but he was certain she was Egeanin Tamarath.

It's not mentioned a single time in tGS and TOM even while in Mat's company (the same exact position as in KOD where her sword is mentioned several times) and in AMOL she has a cudgel which she never did before. This clearly looks like a result of the author switch of the same kind that Sid mentioned with Mat's bow. BS was never famous for attention to those kind of details and such things are plentiful in tGS and TOM. I remember people trying to find justification for a number of them (like Graendal seeing the compulsion weaves made by Aran'gar) until BS admitted that they were simply mistakes. Some were retconned later. Same goes for trying to argue that it's Domon's cudgel and not hers IMO. BTW, she thinks of the cudgel as hers and not Domon's. And she is not actually wearing it. It's stowed in her pack which makes it even less likely that it's Domon's.

But in any case the whole thing is only important because of its possible relation to Egwene's dream from COT, CH 20 about a Seanchan woman with a sword saving her. If this was Egeanin (as I and many others have argued in the past) then it would be very strange that BS would skip her sword and give her a different weapon without a single word of explanation.

Im thinking along the lines of her ending up becoming Egwene's warder.

Although I strongly suspect you're right, I'm hoping we'll rafo.

I wasn't arguing that it was Domons sword, I literally meant that it sets a precedent - I agree it's a problem with Egs dream!

That's right. Thank you. I knew that. I brainfroze and confused that with what I MEANT to be asking about which is: Who is the "forsaken" that was appearing to Masema before Faile did her wifely duty and iced him?

Fish

Ahh, all good, we all get those. :tongue:

Well, we haven't got an answer. We do, however, have a clue.

Brandon has said that the Forsaken was female, which narrows it down to Cyndane, Graendal and Moghedien. (female soul, so not aran'gar.)

Although I strongly suspect you're right, I'm hoping we'll rafo.

I wasn't arguing that it was Domons sword, I literally meant that it sets a precedent - I agree it's a problem with Egs dream!

The thing is, we have 3 sets of "readiness" with Egeanin.

First we have her original meeting with Domon (tGH 29), in full battle gear, fully armored with a slightly curved two-handed sword on her back. An Egeanin ready for front line battle.

Then we have Egeanin trying to be a non-descript traveler simply wearing a cudgel for protection.

Third, we have her in a state of battle readiness where she is not expecting or prepared to fight on the front lines. She was helping Aludra and wearing a sword across her chest, just like a sailor would, just in case and only just in case.

If, as some are postulating, that she were to become Egwene's warder, a Warder in general or prepared to fight on the front lines, I have no doubt in my mind what so ever that she would would be armored(even if lighter compared to her full Seanchan getup), brandishing a two-hand sword once again, no doubt at all.

this is a reasonable explanation and you may be right. still it doesn't completely fit IMO.

As I said no cudgel of Egeanin was mentioned before AMOL. When she wanted to be somewhat non-descript in TSR she carried a staff, not a cudgel.

Next, when she is helping Aludra in tGS, no weapon at all is mentioned (so I'm not sure which scene you mean). Same in TOM when she is leaving Mat.

Also, in AMOL she is not wearing a cudgel. It's stowed in her pack. Why stow a cudgel and not a sword, especially if the sword is so important to her character that it shows up in Egwene's dream? prior to tGS her sword was sometimes mentioned even when she didn't have it with her like during the trip to Jurador when she was wearing a dress

“You really do think you can marry her,” Egeanin muttered, striding along at his side, kicking her worn brown woolen skirts. There was nothing dainty about Egeanin. She had a long stride, and she kept up easily. Dress or no dress, she seemed to need a sword on her hip.

--COT, ch 29

post KOD the sword is not mentioned once.

this is a reasonable explanation and you may be right. still it doesn't completely fit IMO.

As I said no cudgel of Egeanin was mentioned before AMOL. When she wanted to be somewhat non-descript in TSR she carried a staff, not a cudgel.

Next, when she is helping Aludra in tGS, no weapon at all is mentioned (so I'm not sure which scene you mean). Same in TOM when she is leaving Mat.

Also, in AMOL she is not wearing a cudgel. It's stowed in her pack. Why stow a cudgel and not a sword, especially if the sword is so important to her character that it shows up in Egwene's dream? prior to tGS her sword was sometimes mentioned even when she didn't have it with her like during the trip to Jurador when she was wearing a dress

“You really do think you can marry her,” Egeanin muttered, striding along at his side, kicking her worn brown woolen skirts. There was nothing dainty about Egeanin. She had a long stride, and she kept up easily. Dress or no dress, she seemed to need a sword on her hip.

--COT, ch 29

post KOD the sword is not mentioned once.

The scene I was referring to was KoD 36, Karede's PoV. She was wearing a sword across her chest. I certainly don't see her taking it off to help Aludra.

Either way, don't get me wrong here, I'm not arguing that Egeanin is the woman from Egwene's dream, just agreeing with its feasabilty.

The 3 theories that I have seen that seem the most likely are in order of most likely are:

1) The woman is Tuon and the sword represents the Seanchan Empire.

2) The woman is Egeanin.

3) The woman is Tylee Khirgan.

Personally, even though it might be the weakest option, I believe it's option #3. That's what my gut tells me ;)

She just seems like the only woman out of the three that would be both amendable to Egwene (Tuon is the least likely) AND be in a position to and actually have the power to help Egwene (Egeanin does not).

yes, those 3 options are pretty much the only possibilities. as far as option number 1) I recall that terez has argued that the sword in question must be Justice and that Rand will give it to Tuon. That's the only way 1) is possible IMO. AFAIK, there are no other swords related to Tuon or to the Seanchan empire.

Archived