DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A List of Unanswered Questions/Unresolved Plotlines

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What caused the ripples that Faile and company felt in KoD? (weakening of the seals further?)

This has always seemed obvious to me, but from my reading it seems that it is not a popular beleif. This is a bit meta, but it seems to me that because the last several books are very asynchronous RJ wrote in a number of events to serve as landmarks to call out timing in the various storylines. One of these is the cleansing is Siadin. My interpretation has always been that the Balescreams that are pointed out in varous locations, including what Faile feels in KoD, also serve this purpose all coincide with Rand destroying Greandal's Palace, letting the reader know where in the over-all chronology the events are occuring.

What caused the ripples that Faile and company felt in KoD? (weakening of the seals further?)

This has always seemed obvious to me, but from my reading it seems that it is not a popular beleif. This is a bit meta, but it seems to me that because the last several books are very asynchronous RJ wrote in a number of events to serve as landmarks to call out timing in the various storylines. One of these is the cleansing is Siadin. My interpretation has always been that the Balescreams that are pointed out in varous locations, including what Faile feels in KoD, also serve this purpose all coincide with Rand destroying Greandal's Palace, letting the reader know where in the over-all chronology the events are occuring.

The timing doesn't match. The two events were almost a month a part.

I am on my re-read now and I am only up to the end of CoT, but I havn't seen any time cues other than the cleansing of saidin and "Burr it's cold." Can you throw up a page or chapter number for the timing so i can go back and look? What really sticks in my mind for how jumbled the timeline gets is when and where Tam is during Perrin's story and during Rand's story.

Here's a minor one - what's the deal with Tsutama Rath? Are we ever going to see her again? She popped up a couple of books ago, freshly back from her enforced exile, mad as a loon and quite an intriguing character, and then we haven't heard a peep from her since. How has she reacted to Egwene as Amyrlin? In fact, what is happening with the Red Ajah in general - is the series going to finish with a borderline pyschopath still leading the largest Ajah?

I am on my re-read now and I am only up to the end of CoT, but I havn't seen any time cues other than the cleansing of saidin and "Burr it's cold." Can you throw up a page or chapter number for the timing so i can go back and look? What really sticks in my mind for how jumbled the timeline gets is when and where Tam is during Perrin's story and during Rand's story.

It can be picked out with events in the book but the easiest way is to look at Steven Cooper's timeline...

http://www.stevenac....ot/wotchron.htm

Rand was still at the manor house in KoD when the ripples happened.

Ok, so I started this thread with grand ambitions while finishing a re-read of EotW but alas life got in the way of my reread. Still on Lord of Chaos... You have all done a fabulous job (to complement the work done by encyclopaedia-wot.org tar-valon.net 13depository etc..)! I'll try to edit the first post + go through all the posts as time allows but no promises...

Here's a minor one - what's the deal with Tsutama Rath? Are we ever going to see her again? She popped up a couple of books ago, freshly back from her enforced exile, mad as a loon and quite an intriguing character, and then we haven't heard a peep from her since. How has she reacted to Egwene as Amyrlin? In fact, what is happening with the Red Ajah in general - is the series going to finish with a borderline pyschopath still leading the largest Ajah?

She may have slipped between the cracks in the author change. Based on the way Brandon's dealt with other changes in political setups, I suspect changes in the Ajah will be dealt with quite offhand, likely through a character making a declarative statement 'this is what will be' (for example the Andor/Kin change, the Andor/Perrin change, the Tower/WiseOne/Windfinder change) as opposed.

I do have this theory that Tsutama killed Sierin Vayu, though. :D

what was the point of unraveling weaves?

remember that Moridin didnt know what Avi did? And that unraveling weaves can go boom right away and knock out a sizeable area....

Unravelling weaves keeps a residue from forming, which means that someone with the Talent to read residues cannot see what you have done, nor learn a weave from reading the residue of what you've done. This, for instance, enabled Elayne to keep the Seanchan from learning Travelling much earlier than they actually did.

Moridin didn't know weaves could be unravelled--nor did the Aes Sedai or the Windfinders. It was a skill unique to the Aiel. If an unravelling weave is not completely unravelled it will collapse on itself and potentially form a new weave that can do anything from make a bright flash or a loud sound to destroying several square miles.

I thought you couldn't ask the Aelfinn questions that touched the Shadow. Wouldn't asking how to seal the bore be one of those questions. The Finns specifically tell you not to ask a question like that, unless I am remembering wrong.

Actually, that warning was from Moiraine, when she was telling the Wondergirls about the doorways in Tear. From TSR ch 6:

The Aes Sedai winced and threw up her hands. “You three rush in blindly where Lan and a hundred Warders would tread warily. Why do you think I have not stepped through? Days ago I could have asked what Rand must do to survive and triumph, how he can defeat the Forsaken and the Dark One, how he can learn to control the Power and hold off madness long enough to do what he must.” She waited, hands on hips, while it sank in. None of them spoke. “There are rules,” she went on, “and dangers. No one may step through more than once. Only once. You may ask three questions, but you must ask all three and hear the answers before you may leave. Frivolous questions are punished, it seems, but it also seems what may be serious for one can be frivolous coming from another. Most importantly, questions touching the Shadow have dire consequences.

“If you asked about the Black Ajah, you might be returned dead, or come out a gibbering madwoman, if you came out at all. As for Rand . . . I am not certain it is possible to ask a question about the Dragon Reborn that does not touch the Shadow in some way. You see? Sometimes there are reasons for caution.”

The Aelfinn themselves gave no warnings about that, at least not to Mat that we could see. And while Moiraine has proven surprisingly (even suspiciously) knowledgeable (how did she know who Sammael and Be'lal were?), she has not proven infallible. Rand asks how he can win the Last Battle and survive, with no apparent "dire consequences." I can hardly think how that could not be a question "touching the Shadow."

The Aelfinn themselves gave no warnings about that, at least not to Mat that we could see. And while Moiraine has proven surprisingly (even suspiciously) knowledgeable (how did she know who Sammael and Be'lal were?), she has not proven infallible. Rand asks how he can win the Last Battle and survive, with no apparent "dire consequences." I can hardly think how that could not be a question "touching the Shadow."

Rand's question touched the shadow, but he comments to Mat upon exiting the ter'angreal that he thought the snakes were afraid of him. So it seems that whatever "measures" the snakes usually take vis-a-vis "Shadow" questions, they did not take against Rand.

The Shadow Rising: Into the Doorway:

"Not liars, I think." Rand sounded as if he wished they were. "No, not that. They were afraid of me, right from the first. And when that tolling started... The sword kept them back; they wouldn't even look at it. Shied away. Hid their eyes. Did you get your answers?"

PErhaps, it is because the Dragon is the one soul that they cannot risk hindering or harming. If the Dragon fails, and all of creation unravels, IF Randland falls to the Dark Ones touch and the Lace of Ages uravells, arent Parallel world and Mirror realms at risk as well?

It also could be because Rand's level 11 (on a scale of 1-10) ta'vereness caused instability, at least when Mat was inside as well.

Now why, I wonder, would the 'finns be scared of Rand?

I am going on a hunch here; but it is probably because of what he embodies, represents, and what is as the Dragon. He went in their holding Saidin, and holding a sword of fire that terrified them to a degree that they couldn't bring themselves to look at it. The snakes and foxes hate fire; and Rand went in there wielding fire. They knew he could burn the whole lot of them to ashes. He was their worst nightmare; and they were right to be afraid of him :flamingsword:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked the whole thread, but something occurred to me the other day. Mat bought a yew stave to make a Two Rivers bow in KoD 'A Stave and a Razor' since he left his other one at the Terasin Palace when he fled. Later in KoD, he contemplates using the bow when the peddler is being drawn into the ground along with the Shiotan village that disappeared in front of Luca's menagerie (for a mercy kill), though it was just a hair away from being usable. I might have forgotten something, but since then I can't remember the bow being used for anything. Perhaps not even mentioned at all. Does anyone think it will play a part in AMoL? It was actually named in the chapter title when Mat found it, and the Razor turned out to be a fairly important thing for Mat's story. I hope it isn't another loose thread that gets lost with the author switch.

I haven't checked the whole thread, but something occurred to me the other day. Mat bought a yew stave to make a Two Rivers bow in KoD 'A Stave and a Razor' since he left his other one at the Terasin Palace when he fled. Later in KoD, he contemplates using the bow when the peddler is being drawn into the ground along with the Shiotan village that disappeared in front of Luca's menagerie (for a mercy kill), though it was just a hair away from being usable. I might have forgotten something, but since then I can't remember the bow being used for anything. Perhaps not even mentioned at all. Does anyone think it will play a part in AMoL? It was actually named in the chapter title when Mat found it, and the Razor turned out to be a fairly important thing for Mat's story. I hope it isn't another loose thread that gets lost with the author switch.

I stroingly suspect it's just that, actually. Another one in the same vein: Egeanin's sword is gone. It's mentioned a number of times in KoD and earlier but never in tGS and TOM. in aMoL she is carrying a cudgel all of a sudden which she never did before and even thinks of sparring with the Aiel using it.

BTW, this might put a damper on the idea that Egeanin is the seanchan woman with a sword rescuing Egwene in one of her dreams.

Archived