DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A List of Unanswered Questions/Unresolved Plotlines

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, who doesn't love Linda. She and I very nearly had a lunch date of Valentine's day, but I was sick so we postponed.

That's right, Buddy. And if you try to date her again, it won't be soap I put in your Big Mac....

Linda+Luckers=Bad Luck!!

ers. Bad Luckers. Luckers being bad. Umm... Bad Luck for Lucky Luckers. I don't know.

• 3 months later...

So, we know Suroth is having a rough go of things these days, but what ever happened to her lopar, Almandaragal? He wasn't around much, or for long, but appeared a formidable bodyguard and loyal to Suroth alone. Not likely significant, but one of those unresolved curiosities that could be easily addressed. Maybe Fortuona gets a new lopar throw-rug as a wedding gift from Karede. Could provide some insight to the fighting abilities of the Seanchan creatures; three corlm or four torm, which makes quicker work of Almandaragal?

Well, I'll try some off the top off my head. Some will be redundant with stuff already posted here, and some may indeed already have been resolved, unbeknownst to me. Hopefully Luckers can set me straight on the latter.

First off, like LOTR, I hope there are some afters. I don't just want a big battle, a victory, and an end. Some things should be changed at the end of an age, and I want to know what, and how it has changes the characters as well.

Fat little man angreal: what happened to it?

What did the Ogier decide, and how did it play out?

The Song? What is it, was it? Will they find it? Would finding it have done any good?

What were the questions asked by Rand and Mo in Finnland? What were Mo's wishes? (we already know some). Or, for that matter, Lanfear's?

Were any Amayar saved?

Where has Logain been all this time? What glory will he achieve?

Why on earth didn't Rand do something at the BT sooner? Why didn't he help Lan sooner, or protect the Borderlands?

Ditto for Egwene. Malkier all over.

Why didn't Verin simply send a letter to Elayne? Or get a sitter to deliver one to her? Or just bloody tell Egwewne about the Caemlyn Waygate?

If Taim is NOT Moridin, then some explanation for his 2nd age phrasing, and sigil's only had by Forsaken, etc.

Some explanation for how AS were raised/tested in the AOL. Rand must know, and the Oath rod busines is ridiculous.

Some explanation of how AS/channeling society will change in the future. Men included? Testing? Oaths? Precedence? Relation to other channeling groups.

More BT, what happened to Gabrelle and Toveine?

More BT, what happened to Tarna (13x13 or not) and the Asha'man whose name escapes me.

What else did Rand do for 30 days, only seems like 7-10 are accounted for in ToM?

What were the rest of Verin's letters?

What is going on in Seanchan with rebellion/chaos?

Or in the land beyond the Aiel waste? Forsaken involvement?

What is the deal with Roderan in Murandy? If not Forsaken, then what?

What is the other sa'angreal that is more powerful than Callandor that a man can use?

Is Olver Gaidal reborn? Or another hero?

Will Birgitte find Gaidal or not this turning?

Have any of the characters been bound to the wheel by their actions this age (Mo, Verin, Hopper, Mat, Perrin, Nyneave,etc) or are any of them already bound and just this Age's iteration? If the latter, who were they before?

Some explanation of the DO's endgame and explanation for his tactical decisions (kiling the DR, turning the DR, and flip flopping between).

Some explanation of the Vileness from around the time of the Aiel war. What was done, and who did it? Besides Toveine and Elaida.

Is Sorilea a DF? If not her, then who among the Aiel betrayed where Caddy had the bracelet?

Isam/Luc/Slayer. How did he come to be as he is. Is there anything left of the good men in him? Or were they evil all along?

Hey, when do AS (or someone else) figure out that men can heal women back to full strength, and women men? And let's let Damer have a shot with Siuan/Leane/Mo.

Will Nyneave start curing more Asha'man insanity? Or teach it to another female channeler so they can do it?

I'd like to see how Elayne's intentioins with the Kin/Aes Sedai play out after, or if they do.

Do we get a return to a Golden Age of channeling with men & women working together and serving the greater good, or is the OP forgotten in the 4th age. The latter seems unlikely, given the amount of 4th age quotes mentioning the DR.

I second Merilille and Talaan.

Will the Damane be freed?

If freed, when will happen to Elaida, Liandrin and Sevanna?

What did Loial do to the oak the Green Man grew when he died.

Will the Ways be cleansed or remade?

Who will inhabit Rhuidean?

Will anyone remember that Perrin also killed Whitecloaks when he freed Gaul?

How can Damer have a shot with Mo, she wasn't stilled, her power was just sucked from her. Also, I personally don't get why the other days Rand spent are so important. The book doesn't cover all the days in the time period, so why would these ones be so important?

Also, I personally don't get why the other days Rand spent are so important. The book doesn't cover all the days in the time period, so why would these ones be so important?

Think about it in real world terms. When a president takes a day off or goes golfing, people get annoyed. People want to know what the heck Rand was doing that took all that time when he should be doing important things, seeing as he's the leader of the universe.

Will this really be the Last "last battle"? Or will it only be the current "last battle" in the current turn of the wheel, doomed to be repeated countless future times in the endless recycling of the Ages?

Will the Wheel of Time stop turning and recycling the Ages? Will the future proceed forward in a straight line to an unknowable end, like time does in our universe?

I'm currently reading LoC on my current re-read and a couple occured to me that still haven't been answered:

1. The slaughtered Tuatha'an caravan that Mat finds in the countryside. What did he need to "Tell the Dragon Reborn"?

2. Who sent the pretend Aiel to attack that one Aes Sedai from the Salidar embassy? Thinking about it and what happened after, I suppose it could've been Verin trying to sabotage the meeting with Rand, which she did later by encouraging them to confront him. I'm sure she knew exactly what the result would be. It would be nice to know for sure though.

3. Already mentioned, and fairly obvious, but who the hell is Taim anyway? Clearly he's not just another False Dragon. He knows way too much for that to be the case. I'm betting either Moridin or else some other AoL channeler that was somehow trapped in time in a stasis box or vacuole (after all, there has to be some reason RJ told us about vacuoles) or something. He just knows things that it doesn't make sense that he could've figured out on his own, not to mention staying sane for as long as he has. At the very least he was probably instructed by one of the Forsaken, probably Ishamael. In any case, if that question isn't answered I will be very annoyed.

There were a couple of more I can't think of now. Jeez, I need to start writing these down as they come to me :rolleyes:

A couple more from my LoC re-read:

1. Why was Aran'gar so insistant that Logain be severed or killed? Was it just to deny the Light side a powerful male channeler, or was there something more to it, possibly related to Min's "glory undreamed of" viewing? Does the Shadow possibly know something we don't about everyone's favorite former False Dragon?

2. How the hell did Taim and the Asha'man find Rand and co at Dumai's Wells? Rand's people in Cairhien were trying very hard to keep his disappearance secret for one thing, and his explanation of "I had reason to visit you in Cairhien" seems rather flimsy. Even assuming the Aes Sedai took him, how would he know where they were? Did he just keep Travelling towards Tar Valon a little bit at a time until he found them, or what? Does Taim have a tracer on Rand somehow like Moiraine did? I think it more likely that Taim is one of the Forsaken (probably Moridin) and he has the weave for detecting ta'veren we see demonstrated in later books. In any case, nobody seems suspicious of Taim just showing up in the nick of time.

Aulduron is right about why Halima wanted Logain dead. also, i kinda assumed that there are darkfriends within the group Perrin lead to free Rand, and they alerted Taim.

here's some of mine. I'll try to put ones people haven't said as much:

-will anyone rediscover how to make constructs? such as new Nym.

-will Elayne ever figure out how to make Angreal or Sa'angreal during the last book?

-how will Avienda's ability to sense the purpose of ter'angreal come into play?

-how will she change the fate of her people?

-who was the woman who spoke with her in the Waste, and what is her role?

-will the Ways be cleansed?

-will there be a substantial naval battle between Seanchan forces and Atha'an Mier forces? or will they merely serve a courier-type purpose from here on out.

-what are they to do about Caemlyn?

-how will the Horn of Valere be used, and to what effect?

-how will Rand and co. finally deal with the DO/seals/SH

-will his side EVER be Healed? perhaps by Nynaeve?

-will 'burning out' be Healed, in regards to the Satelle Anan theory

-who are the red Aiel-people in the waste?

-what will the Aiel become? will they reclaim the way of the leaf? or take part in the Song if it's rediscovered?

-will the Song be found?

-what is the BLANK in the Waste?

-what is the huge unnoticed thing that allegedly showed up around book 5 or 6 that will be significant...?

-will they ever show a scene explaining how the 13x13 is precisely done? perhaps from a Taim POV? a Taim POV explaining all our wonderings about him maybe :)

-what role will Fain play?

and as so eloquently put: The Black Tower. Period. i would almost be satisfied with this entire series, if the only aspect to AMoL were a bloody, firey battle at the BT with Logain beating Taim

Ah lol, ok. Yeah its one of the few. the "Huge unnoticed thing" statement didn't click with me (because i was thinking size instead of importance) So when you said ashen'darai i assumed I had somehow totally overlooked something.

thanks for the clear up :mat:

Rand can use the TP. Please tell me that wasn't just a convenient one-time-only vehicle to get out of a plot hole. Surely he's going to have to struggle with the temptation to use the TP to turn the tide of battle in his favor. The Dark Lord tempts Rand to trap him.

Or at least Rand should have to fight off the TP, or sieze it again to turn TP weaves against Moridin. Hey, maybe he'll even use the TP to sever Moridin.

Here's a question: Mierin drilled the bore to get access to the TP; if she wasn't aware of the TP she wouldn't have gone looking for it. So, as Cyndane, can she sense the TP and maybe use it too? How else did she get past Rand's OP-shielded dreams at the end of ToM?

Rand can use the TP. Please tell me that wasn't just a convenient one-time-only vehicle to get out of a plot hole. Surely he's going to have to struggle with the temptation to use the TP to turn the tide of battle in his favor. The Dark Lord tempts Rand to trap him.

Or at least Rand should have to fight off the TP, or sieze it again to turn TP weaves against Moridin. Hey, maybe he'll even use the TP to sever Moridin.

Here's a question: Mierin drilled the bore to get access to the TP; if she wasn't aware of the TP she wouldn't have gone looking for it. So, as Cyndane, can she sense the TP and maybe use it too? How else did she get past Rand's OP-shielded dreams at the end of ToM?

I think Brandon stated that Rand's first use of the TP will have ramifications yet. The DO sacrificed one of the most loyal and effective Foresaken to force Rand to use the TP. And we know that using the TP requires explicit permission from the DO. Did Rand access it through his link with Moridin? Or did the DO grant him permission? Probably a DO permission to snare Rand later on. And maybe that is why Rand must die first before sealing the Bore. Dying would probably free him from the TP link and cleanse his brain from the taint and all the bonds.

I believe it has been stated by RJ that the drilling of the bore was only about accessing a new power source. No one knew it was actually the DO and the ramifications of it. There was no seduction of Lanfear/Mierin by the DO to do it in other words.

As far as how she got into Rand's dreams, if that is even where that was. The best theory I have seen is that it wasn't his dreams, it was the place where him and Moridin go from time to time and she accessed him there with help, through the bond with Moridin.

It complies with Moridin's comments to Graendal that the task of getting to Rand has been given to another.

And since it's highly doubtful Mordy would entrust that to someone not completely under his control, that counts Demandred out leaving only the Mindtrapped Cyndane and Moggy. Cydane being. to me, by far the better choice. Doesn't strike me as task Moggy would be very suited for, far too direct IMO.

I believe it has been stated by RJ that the drilling of the bore was only about accessing a new power source. No one knew it was actually the DO and the ramifications of it. There was no seduction of Lanfear/Mierin by the DO to do it in other words.

I disagree with your conclusion that there was no seduction. Mierin knew the power source was there. Unless she read about it in an old book, that means she could sense it. She didn't know that it was the TP, true, or what the downside of it could be. But she could tell a power source was there to be tapped, it was powerful, and it was not gender specific. For a control-hungry beldame like Mierin, that was seduction enough.

It was kind of like our early nuclear scientists researching radiation but not realizing it would kill them.

As far as how she got into Rand's dreams, if that is even where that was. The best theory I have seen is that it wasn't his dreams, it was the place where him and Moridin go from time to time and she accessed him there with help, through the bond with Moridin.

Yet the description makes it quite clear that Rand saw this vision in a dream. Rand's dreams are shielded with the OP. If Cyndane could touch the TP, she could get past the OP shield. For that matter, since Moridin himself is a TP user, the TP could be the means by which Moridin also can encounter Rand during OP-shielded dreams.

It complies with Moridin's comments to Graendal that the task of getting to Rand has been given to another.

And since it's highly doubtful Mordy would entrust that to someone not completely under his control, that counts Demandred out leaving only the Mindtrapped Cyndane and Moggy. Cydane being. to me, by far the better choice. Doesn't strike me as task Moggy would be very suited for, far too direct IMO.

You're forgetting that it wasn't Moridin who made the announcement to Graendal. It was Shaidar Haran.

We already knew Cyndane was Mierin/Lanfear, and Rand recognized her as Mierin. I suppose the claim she made about reaching out to Rand in secret could have been a lie, but Moridin has much easier ways to take Rand down than by "tempting" him with a woman he despises.

You guys are forgetting that Lanfear already told Rand she was perfectly capable of breaking through his dream warding, but that he "wouldn't like the result." She could've just been lying, but I doubt it.

Exactly, and by her description, it sounded like it would be very unpleasant and hinted at painful.

Obviously not the case at the end of ToM.

That, along with the description of how the landscape of Rand's dream changed in meeting Cyndane/Lanfear, the theory that, Cyndane, with Moridin's help, was in the place where Rand and Moridin have frequented before seems very plausible.

Archived