DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who would be the best swordsman or swordswoman ever

Pug

Did none of you watch ghe duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul in episode one? Obi -Wan is by FAR the best of the Jedi with a blade, only beaten by Vader because he allowed himself to be beaten in episode four. Wait, that's completely wrong. You guys are going to tell me that any Jedi or Sith, any at all, is better than Yoda? Really? Did you see him and Dooko square off? The twirling, bouncing off the walls, all of that? No one in the Star Wars universe anyway comes close at all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did none of you watch ghe duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul in episode one? Obi -Wan is by FAR the best of the Jedi with a blade, only beaten by Vader because he allowed himself to be beaten in episode four. Wait, that's completely wrong. You guys are going to tell me that any Jedi or Sith, any at all, is better than Yoda? Really? Did you see him and Dooko square off? The twirling, bouncing off the walls, all of that? No one in the Star Wars universe anyway comes close at all.

Yoda and Obi are both on the council ;D

Since fantasy and scifi often go hand in hand, can't believe noone has mentioned Anakin Skywalker.

If forced to use a metal sword, instead of a lighsaber, and if also forced to be unable to use the Force, then in those circumstances, I would not place Anakin Skywalker, or any of the other jedi knights from the movies in the top 20 of best fictional swordsmen of all time.

Well, if you remove all special things, a guy like Lan would be pretty screwed, without a Warder Bond

Since fantasy and scifi often go hand in hand, can't believe noone has mentioned Anakin Skywalker.

If forced to use a metal sword, instead of a lighsaber, and if also forced to be unable to use the Force, then in those circumstances, I would not place Anakin Skywalker, or any of the other jedi knights from the movies in the top 20 of best fictional swordsmen of all time.

Well, if you remove all special things, a guy like Lan would be pretty screwed, without a Warder Bond

Lan was a Blademaster before he was bonded by Moiraine. He was already recognized as one of the best swordsmen in that world before the Warder Bond.

Also, the powers of the Force and Force enhanced abilities are much greater than what Lan gains from the Warder Bond. So therefore, I don't believe that you are making a fair comparison.

For a human, Dace from Gemmells Dark Moon. One of the best characters in fantasy. Colbey Calstinson (sp) was part god but has to be up there. Dritzz/Entreri (who's better now?).

Lans is cool but I don't know if he could beat any of those.

Dasseem/Benedict of Amber/Lan/The Segulah First

In that order. Or thereabouts. Maybe. Depends on who has had his morning coffee.

Why do people always mention Lan but not Rand? I know he lost his hand, but he also go LTT's memories (300years experience). We haven't seen him fight recently but I think people may be surprised. If it is a retelling of the story of King Arthur (the wheel turning etc..) then remember Arthur (Rand) beat Lancelot (Lan).

How is it that Lan is Lancelot? the only thing in common they have are the first three letters of their names.

Glad to see someone finally mentioned Arthur Dayne who even Jaime admits was better. What about Logen Ninefingers or Araris Valerion?

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that Lan is Lancelot? the only thing in common they have are the first three letters of their names.

Glad to see someone finally mentioned Arthur Dayne who even Jaime admits was better. What about Logen Ninefingers or Araris Valerion?

I thought it was accepted that the Wheel of Time is another age of the Arthurian legend?

Sword in the Stone. Callandor - Excaliber

Green Man

Grail - Bowl Of winds

King is the land.

Al Thor - Arthur

Lan - Lancelot

Moiraine/Tom Merilyn/Amyrlin - Merlin (advisor)

Morridin/Damondred - Mordred

Galad - Galahad

Gawyn - Gawaine

Nynaeve - Guinavere

3 women taking him on a boat after he's died to Tar Valon - Avalon.

Morgase - Morgause

Caemlyn - Camelot

Tigraine - Ygraine (Arthur/Rands mothers)

The fisher king.

Probably loads more.

What Jedi is best with a lightsaber is very debatable. In the movie era it comes down to Yoda, Mace Windu or Kit Fisto. Post movies I'd put Luke Skywalker on there as well (He's basically god mode at his full potential). Pre movie era I'd nominate Exar Kun.

I get how there are some arthurian references but I think you are going a bit over the top, Lilbaz.

Aside from being a good swordsman I fail to see the similarity with Lan and lancelot.

And how exactly is Nynaeve Guinavere? She has never had any kind of romantic relationship with Rand at usually acts more as an advisor/friend or mothering figure.

Again as for Caemlyn being Camelot I don't see that either. Camelot was Arthur's seat of power yet Rand repeatedly says he has no wish to rule it nor does he even originate from there. From Rand's perspective Caemlyn is given no more significance than any other of the major cities he frequents. Its only through Elyane's pov that we see any more of it.

Morgause and Morridin as far as I know are not related to each other or Rand. And where does this leave the other Forsaken and The Dark One?

Guest TawandaMoyo

I don't know where people get the idea of Jaime Lannister being very good with a sword. The only fight of his I read about was when he fought Brienne and his own reflections. I know he was feared but after all he was a Lannister.

To me the best swordsman in fantasy is without doubt Lan Mandragoran. He beats a blademaster or two in the series and is the "best of the warders and therefore best of the best".

I don't know where people get the idea of Jaime Lannister being very good with a sword. The only fight of his I read about was when he fought Brienne and his own reflections. I know he was feared but after all he was a Lannister.

To me the best swordsman in fantasy is without doubt Lan Mandragoran. He beats a blademaster or two in the series and is the "best of the warders and therefore best of the best".

Jaime Lannister has a reputation in the series as a formidable swordsman. We might not get many chances to see him in action, but he does have that reputation, and it's not like what we see on screen fails to live up to that (against Brienne, he'd been starved and was in chains). Oh, and do you remember what he did in the Whispering Wood? Why Rickard Karstark disliked him so much?

As for Lan being the best, without a doubt, I have to say I find the notion of any character from WoT being the best swordsman in fantasy to be incredibly far fetched. Look at it this way: in fantasy, the author does not have to play by the usual rules of reality. Lan is better than a real world guy of his age and experience would be, because he can maintain vitality thanks to the bond and has healing on tap so doesn't have to worry about nagging injuries. However, he is just a man. He is up against immortals and demi gods and various other creatures. In Steph Swainston's Castle books, immortality is granted to the greatest in various professions, and those immortals are tasked with leading a war against giant insects. One of the positions is granted to the finest swordsman. Lan has about forty years of experience. If he were in that series, he might be up against a swordsman who has two hundred years of experience and hasn't aged in all that time. In Malazan Book of the Fallen, we have gods like Anomander Rake and Dassem Ultor, and people like Whiskeyjack, Kallor and the Seguleh. Kellhus from Prince of Nothing is an accomplished swordsman, but outside of that is capable of dodging arrows. Is Lan that physically capable? Can he move so fast? Can he see them coming to get out of the way? Everyone in WoT is massively outclassed by some of the incredibly powerful superheroes that have been created in fantasy.

I'm new here but aware of the Goodkind hate (which may be justified due to his comments)but I think Richard Rahl should be considered as well. He did defeat what 30 master swordsmen in one battle. Now he also had access to memories of all other previous users of the sword and the sword itself was magical so perhaps that would be disqualifing just as the jedi lightsabers appear to be. Of the "classic" sword users I would also nominate Turin from the silmarillion. I haven't read it in some time but I thought he was accounted very deadly with a sword.

I'm new here but aware of the Goodkind hate (which may be justified due to his comments)but I think Richard Rahl should be considered as well. He did defeat what 30 master swordsmen in one battle. Now he also had access to memories of all other previous users of the sword and the sword itself was magical so perhaps that would be disqualifing just as the jedi lightsabers appear to be. Of the "classic" sword users I would also nominate Turin from the silmarillion. I haven't read it in some time but I thought he was accounted very deadly with a sword.

I'd counter that his father Hurin (despite seeming to prefer an axe) should be considered above Turin. (Some Silmarillion and Children of Hurin spoilers follow, so beware). Turin's greatest accomplishment (the slaying of Glaurung) was while hiding in a small river and attacking from under his belly. Whereas the feat of strength we have from Hurin is cutting down dozens of elite troll warriors serving as the bodyguard of Gothmog himself. And while doing so shouting "Aure entulava!" or "Day will come again!" for each swing of his axe.

Hurin is awesome.

Hurin is awesome.

Agreed on that, but as you said his main weapon was an axe. Turin had more exploits than just killing Glaurung. He did clear the orc from Dor-Lomin(?) to allow mom and sis to return to Doriath.

Another Swordsman from Silmarillion would be Fingolfin. He nearly deafeated Morgoth himself, giving him 7 wounds.

Hurin is awesome.

Agreed on that, but as you said his main weapon was an axe. Turin had more exploits than just killing Glaurung. He did clear the orc from Dor-Lomin(?) to allow mom and sis to return to Doriath.

Another Swordsman from Silmarillion would be Fingolfin. He nearly deafeated Morgoth himself, giving him 7 wounds.

Well when I said he preferred an axe, I meant that his main feat was done with an axe (which he only picked up after all his companions were dead and he had thrown away his sword and shield).

I also second Fingolfin.

• 2 weeks later...

What Jedi is best with a lightsaber is very debatable. In the movie era it comes down to Yoda, Mace Windu or Kit Fisto. Post movies I'd put Luke Skywalker on there as well (He's basically god mode at his full potential). Pre movie era I'd nominate Exar Kun.

I don't think Kit Fisto deserves consideration. He fell quite pathetically to Palpatine, whereas Mace made a duel out of it. Anakin deserves a place over him.

Archived