DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMoL - only one book ?

Ronneby

Hello,

I am aware that this topic has been diskussed earlier but I would like to her your opinion becuase I`m very worried that the writing in last book will be very forced for mr Sanderson to be able to conclude the series in only one more book.

I estimate that it is upp to 30-35 plots and more or less inportant "events" that will and must happen for the series to finish of in a great way. Many of these can´t be solved in only one or two chapters for it to be a good and satisfactory reading. I am therefore worried that mr Sanderson must force and cut his writing for be able to put it all in one book.

In my opinion mr Sanderson has done a very good jobb in the last two books and I am confident that he would be able to write a outstanding finish to Wot, but I am not convinced that he will be able to do that in one book. I have been a wot reader since 1993 and I will be greatly dissapointed if the plots and events in the last book will be shortened and in forced writing only becuase that all must be fitted in one book.

I have some memory that Harriet att one point during a interview has said that it´s not impossible that the last book will be divided in two.

I can only hope that if mr Sanderson finds it impossible to finish the series in his normally outstanding writing in one book, that he seriously consider the possiblility to divide the book in two instead of cut the plots and events for be able to finish in one book.

That are your thoughts ?

Ronneby

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts?

After waiting for a resolution since my married son was playing with Transformers, you're suggesting splitting it into two volumes, undoubtedly with a year or more between? Where's my tar and feathers?

My thoughts?

After waiting for a resolution since my married son was playing with Transformers, you're suggesting splitting it into two volumes, undoubtedly with a year or more between? Where's my tar and feathers?

So you would rather have a book with forced writing and abrupt ending to the many plotlines and events instead of two books where mr Sanderson will have the possibility to write as he wants instead of have to compromise and shortfasten his writing ?

I have problem to understand that kind of wiew, especially when you like I have been reading the series under decades.

Ronneby

I want it to end. If they split it, I wont be reading them. At the very very best, I would rather it be wrapped up in one book and then possibly a couple of side stories to show what lesser characters were doing in the meantime.

In my oppinion AMoL needs to drop all the filler crap and concentrate purely on the earthshakers. That means Rand, Mat, Perrin, Logain, Taim, Nynaeve, Egwene (unfortunately) and the Forsaken. Moiraine can and should be part of Rands arc. Lan can and should be purely part of Nynaeves arc now. The Black Tower is Rand, the White Tower is Egwene, Narishma Flynn and co should be Logain.

In other words if we only get side characters through main characters, it should be alright. A lot of plots can be condensed I think, so although it could be the biggest book yet I dont think it NEEDS splitting. But like I said, if they announce a split, I will not be reading them.

So you guys would have to let me know what happens with Taim :laugh:

agree that if it cannot be finished to a high standard then it should b split into 2 more books. y ruin the ending of the greatest fantsy series of all time by rushing the ending. i havent been reading the series for 20 yrs like alot of ppl but im sure id b willing to wait another yr or 2 so that the series is finished to highest possible standard and not as quickly as possible. surely its preferable to see the best finish possible than seeing the finish earlier.

I understand the worry but I think(or hope) that we will have a much faster pace in the last book, where all the previous buildup can transfer into action/resolve. (Not complaining about the detail, just think it was there to build and enrich the payoff in the end.) It will probable be like a roller-coaster of a story line but I think it will work out satisfactorily. :biggrin:

I understand the worry but I think(or hope) that we will have a much faster pace in the last book, where all the previous buildup can transfer into action/resolve. (Not complaining about the detail, just think it was there to build and enrich the payoff in the end.) It will probable be like a roller-coaster of a story line but I think it will work out satisfactorily. :biggrin:

Same here, to be honest its not like AMoL needs an introduction. They say every book has its own storyline within the main, but... PLEEEEAAAASE!... AMoL doesnt need that. Its got enough story already. We dont need new plot arcs, we dont need new Ashaman. I mean I can understand why Androl was brought into it but beyond that, we have what we need for an awesome book. AMoL doesnt need a a usual beginning-middle-end setup. It should be more like middle-end-END.

A lot of WoT books feel like half filler, half payoff. We can skip the filler part. Like, completely. In my mind, that would make it the book it needs to be to finish it all off.

Id really like Moridin to become a main character. Like, a LOT of screen time. As in, the same amount Mat or Perrin gets, with his own arc being about realizing he cant win. I know Im clutching at grass at the top of the cliff though.

This series has already had two penultimate books, it doesn't need a third. Really, the suggestion that another split should be necessary at this late stage is utterly absurd. Does anyone seriously think that this series could not be wrapped up in a book the length of, say, Way of Kings? Sanderson has a lot of room to play with, there is no reason why this book should need to be split, nor why what's left should feel rushed.

I wouldn't be against a split and i can see what the op is getting at.

Maybe release part one and two only a couple of months apart. Cuts down on the wait but gives the multitude of loose ends a chance to be resolved in a satisfactory manner.

And release them at a slightly lower price so they can't be seen to be trying to make an extra few moneys. Besides if you don't wanna pay for two Hardbacks get the paperbacks or ebooks.

The books don't need to have filler but just give all the main events some time and space. Moraines rescue felt rushed and so has a lot of other events in the last two books.

My two cents anyhow

After my initial read of Towers of Midnight, I felt that they would need 2 more books to wrap up all of the remaining plot lines. But I've since revised my opinion-with a good chunk of the characters at the Field of Merrilor, the plot should move pretty fast in AMOL. I'm also getting the sense that Team Jordan wants to get this done within the confines of a single novel. Perhaps that novel will be similar in size to Way of Kings (as Mr. Ares pointed out earlier) or perhaps even the size of the original hardback edition of To Green Angel Tower (which topped out in over 1500 pgs. hardback). Bottom line, they should be able to close out the series in one more book.

It wouldn't be the first time (in this series even) where a project exponentially grew on an author. Knowing how sensitive Brandon is to the fandom, though, I find it hard to believe that he would say it would fit into one book and then not deliver. Even if it is 1500 pages, which I doubt, they'll release it as one book. We're all greedy for more WOT.

I want the book to be good. If that requires two books, so be it.

Quality is the most important I agree. You must be patient to achieve happiness in WOT land. :biggrin:

Further...The end will only satisfy those who are willing to accept it. My guess is that there will be a DEALING WITH THE END, Therapy Thread after AMOL comes out. I don't know if my insurance will cover it though? :unsure:

At the point where the story is now, all you really have left is the Last Battle itself, and hopefully a wrap-up of some stray plot lines. Not too much to ask for in one book, given the ponderous page-counts of previous tomes. I don't expect every last thread to be neatly tied off. Life isn't like that. All I really need is for Rand to kick the Dark One's butt.

I also think that if need be, BS should not hesitate to split the book in two (MOL Vol. I and Vol. II - has a good ring to it!!! ***slowly backing away from snarling fans***). But I must say I'm also ready for the ending. So here's an idea - if MOL does not do justice after release than BS should go back to the typewriter (or computer, I hope he uses those, really) and re-write it so it can be released as an extended edition (no author ever done it but Hollywood knows that formula). Heck, it can be re-released with Encyclopedia. Anyways, what I'm trying to say (and not in so many words) that maybe we can have cake too?huh.gif

Hello again,

After have reading your answers and perceptions on the issue of another split, you must conclude that its a rather delicate issue with a lots of opinions.

To make it a little more interesting I have today written a email to Mr Sanderson with the following question;

"Hello Mr Sanderson,

I wrote to you in febuary/march this year about the possibility to split AMoL in two books. I quite understand that you don´t have the time to answer my question.

I still have a lots of concerns about this issue becuase I´m afraid that the writing must be very forced to be able to fit in almost all of the plotlines and major events in only one book.

This time I just wonder about how you feel right now, then you have written 34 % of AMoL. Does this in your opinion correspond to a third of the reminder of the story or do you feel what you havent come so far yet ?

Best regards

P. Rigling"

As I recall the precondition was a book of 300 000 words there one procent corresponds to 1000 words.

I dont expect an answer to my mail but I think it would be thery interesting to know if Mr Sanderson feels that he now have concluded roughly one third of the reminder of WOT storyline or that 100 000 words are not enough to reach so far in to the reminder of the story.

Ronneby

Archived