DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMoL - only one book ?

Ronneby

Hello again,

After have reading your answers and perceptions on the issue of another split, you must conclude that its a rather delicate issue with a lots of opinions.

To make it a little more interesting I have today written a email to Mr Sanderson with the following question;

"Hello Mr Sanderson,

I wrote to you in febuary/march this year about the possibility to split AMoL in two books. I quite understand that you don´t have the time to answer my question.

I still have a lots of concerns about this issue becuase I´m afraid that the writing must be very forced to be able to fit in almost all of the plotlines and major events in only one book.

This time I just wonder about how you feel right now, then you have written 34 % of AMoL. Does this in your opinion correspond to a third of the reminder of the story or do you feel what you havent come so far yet ?

Best regards

P. Rigling"

As I recall the precondition was a book of 300 000 words there one procent corresponds to 1000 words.

I dont expect an answer to my mail but I think it would be thery interesting to know if Mr Sanderson feels that he now have concluded roughly one third of the reminder of WOT storyline or that 100 000 words are not enough to reach so far in to the reminder of the story.

Ronneby

I think that BS said (at Comic Con) that his meter was behind and that he was a little over 50%. I think we are stuck with one book. :madmyrddraal::baalzamon::myrddraal:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you would rather have a book with forced writing and abrupt ending to the many plotlines and events instead of two books where mr Sanderson will have the possibility to write as he wants instead of have to compromise and shortfasten his writing ?

You are assuming a good amount when you say one more book would be abrupt and forced. Don't see any reason why it can't be wrapped up in one. Of course it should be the best book possible and that's why he is taking longer with this one than the first two. More than anything TGS and ToM could have both used a more thorough edit.

But didn't RJ say that not all plot lines would be resolved? Surely this means that those ones will be left as they are, hanging. We will get the final one book, but I suspect it will be possibly close tSR in terms of words, which if it is that will allow more freedom of closing off plot lines and finishing it in a just and proper manner.

While I think a lot would like a second part to aMoL so it is tied up neatly and more plot linbes get reolved without the feeling of being rushed and done for the sake of it, I also think you'd get another section who would be annoyed that once again they are having to wait for the "final" book. If we get told it is not possible to finish it one book and aMoL will be split, again, depending on when part one is published, if it's early 2012 then we could see part two 2013, but if it's delayed and it's the end of the year the end it could well be 2014 before we see part two, now that would be a real slap in the face to fans

I have to say after finishing TOM that there is a serious amount of stuff that needs to be tied down before the enevitable end but i think that all these thigs can be contained in a single volume. At the very least, if your going to have 2 volumes release them at the same time, you wouldn't need to do this for the audio and e-books obviously, but I think just one massive book should be enough. It would definatly be the biggest in the series.

I'm such a huge fan of TWoT however i don't think i would be able to take no more. I think Sanderson, Tor books or Harriet should organise some side storys for the Wot after the main plot is finished. Mabey a trilogy of books about Mat and the Seanchan in the aftermath of Tarmon Gaiden, I would definatly read that.

I understand RJ was deeply against an expanded universe, but I would be very pleased to watch the beginning of a Star Wars-esque EU.

I would like two more books, because I don't want the series to end. I would like one more book, because I want to finish the series. Mixed feelings.

Mabey a trilogy of books about Mat and the Seanchan in the aftermath of Tarmon Gaiden, I would definatly read that.

Although it is a pretty big long shot, as it was a planned outrigger novel this is actually one of the few things that has a chance of happening.

I understand RJ was deeply against an expanded universe, but I would be very pleased to watch the beginning of a Star Wars-esque EU.

I disagree. Overall, the Star Wars EU was not well written and didn't always hold true to canon. There are some diamonds in the rough, but I don't think it would be worth it.

Guest framistat

So can we all agree on one book but split into two but released close together or simultaneously? Or I like hearing about that other book being 1500 pages long, I'd take that as well.

Publishers can't make profit that way, so there is no point in us agreeing to it, and I wouldn't agree anyway. One ond done, I'm sick to death of waiting to wrap this story up, and if it can't be done in one book, I won't be buying them. I'll read about it on the Wiki page later.

So can we all agree on one book but split into two but released close together or simultaneously? Or I like hearing about that other book being 1500 pages long, I'd take that as well.

Publishers can't make profit that way, so there is no point in us agreeing to it, and I wouldn't agree anyway. One ond done, I'm sick to death of waiting to wrap this story up, and if it can't be done in one book, I won't be buying them. I'll read about it on the Wiki page later.

Ditto

I disagree. Overall, the Star Wars EU was not well written and didn't always hold true to canon. There are some diamonds in the rough, but I don't think it would be worth it.

I must say that Knight of the Old Republic story line (granted in the video game format) was freaking awesome. Maybe, and I know a lot people about to choke on their food/drinks, better than original IMO. You're right though, diamonds in the rough is a very good analogy. But wouldn't it be awesome to read about Tamerlyn (sp?) the first man to channel? Or our age ending (like present day) and the following beginning (for some reason I always thought of Temerlyn as being tied in to our age). Anyways, just hopes....blush.gif

On another hand, I take Mat in any shape or form (i'm a huge Mat whore). I can read about that guy shaving or cooking or even sleeping. He's just that awesome!!!!

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents:

I see no reason that the remaining story can't be wrapped up in one novel. But if it takes longer than that, they should make it however long it needs to be to have the best possible story. If they need to split it, my preference would be to let Brandon finish writing it completely and then release part 1 with part 2 following 6 months later.

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents:

I see no reason that the remaining story can't be wrapped up in one novel. But if it takes longer than that, they should make it however long it needs to be to have the best possible story. If they need to split it, my preference would be to let Brandon finish writing it completely and then release part 1 with part 2 following 6 months later.

This. The last book should be the best possible thing for an outstanding story line that was decades in the making. A rush job to see the ending, or a condensed version to get it on shelves is flat out wrong and selfish.

I have a lot of faith in BS to do what he thinks is right for the series.

I also think that if need be, BS should not hesitate to split the book in two (MOL Vol. I and Vol. II - has a good ring to it!!! ***slowly backing away from snarling fans***). But I must say I'm also ready for the ending. So here's an idea - if MOL does not do justice after release than BS should go back to the typewriter (or computer, I hope he uses those, really) and re-write it so it can be released as an extended edition (no author ever done it but Hollywood knows that formula). Heck, it can be re-released with Encyclopedia. Anyways, what I'm trying to say (and not in so many words) that maybe we can have cake too?huh.gif

Wrong. I know one author that re-released a book. Stephen King did with "The Stand (Complete & Uncut Edition)" It added like 300+ pages.

Hello,

The chance for a split is unfortunately not so big anymore.

On Mr Sandersons twitter the following coluld be read;

Will #AMoL actually be the last book? or do you think you will split it up again? Are you thinking of 2012 release?

To this Mr Sanderson answered;

It will not be split. I'm pretty certain. 2012 for sure.

I am still very nervous about this. I have no problem with one book if AMoL is very very big and contains all the major events and plotlines with a good writing. I think its very important that Mr Sanderson, then writing the AMoL, don´t feel obligated to finish it all in only bone book and therefore has to do a lot of forced writing. He should have a free rein and write the ending as detailed and as complicated as he wants and if this means one or two books, that is not important to me.

I have been following Wot for 18 years and I don´t want this relation to end with a book with a forced writing and contain abrupt endings to the many plotlines and scenes which must happen i AmoL. In another words; I dont want a Terry Goodkind endings to WoT !!!

Ronneby

Brandon Sanderson should write all there is to finish the story properly without counting words or pages. Then TOR checks whether the story will fit in one book or not. If they need two, they should publish them as AMOL vol1 and AMOL vol2 issued together.

Hello again,

After have reading your answers and perceptions on the issue of another split, you must conclude that its a rather delicate issue with a lots of opinions.

To make it a little more interesting I have today written a email to Mr Sanderson with the following question;

"Hello Mr Sanderson,

I wrote to you in febuary/march this year about the possibility to split AMoL in two books. I quite understand that you don´t have the time to answer my question.

I still have a lots of concerns about this issue becuase I´m afraid that the writing must be very forced to be able to fit in almost all of the plotlines and major events in only one book.

This time I just wonder about how you feel right now, then you have written 34 % of AMoL. Does this in your opinion correspond to a third of the reminder of the story or do you feel what you havent come so far yet ?

Best regards

P. Rigling"

As I recall the precondition was a book of 300 000 words there one procent corresponds to 1000 words.

I dont expect an answer to my mail but I think it would be thery interesting to know if Mr Sanderson feels that he now have concluded roughly one third of the reminder of WOT storyline or that 100 000 words are not enough to reach so far in to the reminder of the story.

Ronneby

He was 125k into the book when he was at 38%, that projects to 328,947 words.

http://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/status/103569654630453250

I expect it to end up closer to the length of The Shadow Rising or even The Way of Kings, than Towers of Midnight however.

So a 2012 release for sure? I was hoping they were going to get it out at the end of this year, so I'm a bit bummed. BS has done an awesome job with RJ's work, but it is always bittersweet; I lost my father within a year of losing RJ, and the funny thing is, when I think of RJ my father comes to mind. Both were Viet Nam vets, but were great story tellers, and both meant a lot to me. BS finishing RJ's epic is a little like me trying to finish one of my father's yarns; I can do it, but things are lost in translation.

All this being said, I really really wanted to have MoL for the long cold winter. Does anyont who follows BS's multimedia stuff know if he has indicated if its going to be EARLY 2012?

So a 2012 release for sure? I was hoping they were going to get it out at the end of this year, so I'm a bit bummed. BS has done an awesome job with RJ's work, but it is always bittersweet; I lost my father within a year of losing RJ, and the funny thing is, when I think of RJ my father comes to mind. Both were Viet Nam vets, but were great story tellers, and both meant a lot to me. BS finishing RJ's epic is a little like me trying to finish one of my father's yarns; I can do it, but things are lost in translation.

All this being said, I really really wanted to have MoL for the long cold winter. Does anyont who follows BS's multimedia stuff know if he has indicated if its going to be EARLY 2012?

The latest talk is a November 2012 release. We'll see if that gets adjusted as Brandon gets further along in writing the first draft. He's currently estimating that he is 40% through the first draft.

I watched the MoL video here again, paying closer attention to the dates mentioned, and realized she said "2012" rather than 2011" as I thought; what can I say, I've got Dad ears, selectively ignoring what I don't want to hear.

Is there any way we can get them to release the prologue and bonus chapters earlier than a month or two before the book's release? =)

I for one want it to be done in just one, final book. I guess I truely don't want EVERYTHING to be tied up. One final book should be enough to cover the main point of the series (I mean come on; Each book is like 700 pages long). Having everything getting tied up would feel fake to me. Yeah, I know it's fantasy, but in my opinion, doing that would make it feel childish. Just my opinion.

Archived