DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Funny Misreads You Made??

Lightflame

For the longest time I read Darkfriend as Darkfiend.

Also, I am not sure if this would be considered a misread, but I find it incredibly difficult to use Robert Jordan's pronunciations when reading the series. For example, I read Ta'veren as Tavern and not the correct (??) Tah-VEER-ehn(??)

Also, I am not sure if this would be considered a misread, but I find it incredibly difficult to use Robert Jordan's pronunciations when reading the series. For example, I read Ta'veren as Tavern and not the correct (??) Tah-VEER-ehn(??)

I don't do that one, but I still read Taim an Tame rather then RJ's Ta-eem and Aiel as Ale rather than the pronunciation in the back of the book (Eye-eel or something like that).

I don't do that one, but I still read Taim an Tame rather then RJ's Ta-eem and Aiel as Ale rather than the pronunciation in the back of the book (Eye-eel or something like that).

Same here. Faile is fail, dammit.

Yep everything up there except the darkfriend thing is what i do and Aes'Sedai I pronounce as Big A sound sedai. Plus I mispronounce a bunch of names but whatever I call it adding slang and accent to there language lol

Yep everything up there except the darkfriend thing is what i do and Aes'Sedai I pronounce as Big A sound sedai. Plus I mispronounce a bunch of names but whatever I call it adding slang and accent to there language lol

All of this except the darkfiend/friend

Not funny, but for the longest time (up until a few months ago) I always read it as Edmond's Field and not Emond's Field.

I still think Birgitte is a typo of Brigette.

I didn't actually know it was spelled Birgitte! I've always read it as Brigitte. It must surely be a typo..

For the longest time I read Egwenes name, and pronounced it as 'Edge-ween', quite frankly I find it more appealing then relating her to an egg every bloody time I read her name, but I've finally taught my mind otherwise while reading it. :P

Not funny, but for the longest time (up until a few months ago) I always read it as Edmond's Field and not Emond's Field.

I still think Birgitte is a typo of Brigette.

I didn't actually know it was spelled Birgitte! I've always read it as Brigitte. It must surely be a typo..

I read Edmonds feild for perhaps 4 books. Then I thought I saw a typo when I was reading it more slowly, I checked and realised I had been imagining the pronounciation wrong all that time, I also did the same with birgitte :P

Quoted for spot-on truth.

After reading about the sa'sara, suddenly a whole bunch of phrases sounded dirty:

1. Easing the Badger

2. widdershins (actually it means counterclockwise...thanks Kindle Dictionary!)

3. Mother's milk in a cup!

4. Maiden's kiss

5. Sweat tent

After reading about the sa'sara, suddenly a whole bunch of phrases sounded dirty:

1. Easing the Badger

2. widdershins (actually it means counterclockwise...thanks Kindle Dictionary!)

3. Mother's milk in a cup!

4. Maiden's kiss

5. Sweat tent

Well, I'm pretty sure mother's milk in a cup was supposed to be dirty, but I also get that "dirty" vibe from Easing The Badger.

You know, swordfights in WoT are really boring. It's just 'he used insert technique here'. Kind of like an RPG, only not interactive and you don't know what all the moves do.

I'm trying desperately to "fix" my pronunciation. Cairhien was always CAIR-heen to me, until I looked in the glossary, where it's like 6 syllables. Some of it is ridiculous.

You know, swordfights in WoT are really boring. It's just 'he used insert technique here'.

I remember reading a thread about funny techniques. The only two I can remember are "Cat Craps in a Sandbox" and "Fat Guy Rushes the Food Bar." I still giggle when I read those....LOL

James

I'm trying desperately to "fix" my pronunciation. Cairhien was always CAIR-heen to me, until I looked in the glossary, where it's like 6 syllables. Some of it is ridiculous.

You know, swordfights in WoT are really boring. It's just 'he used insert technique here'.

I remember reading a thread about funny techniques. The only two I can remember are "Cat Craps in a Sandbox" and "Fat Guy Rushes the Food Bar." I still giggle when I read those....LOL

James

:biggrin: That's awesome. We need a new thread to make up funny swordfighting technique names.

I listen to the stories in audio format, so my problem is I don't know how to spell anything. It gets confusing talking to my RL WOT friends because they pronounce everything different. "Who? Oooooooohhhhh, you mean ____" And they pronounce everything like you guys do. Ale for Aiel is probably my favorite. They both also call the Aes'Sedai different (incorrect) things. The readers taught me it's pronounced "I said-I" but the love of my life calls them "I said-A" and my buddy Brent calls them "A said-A" And when he talks about "CadSueAnne Said A" it gets tough to know exactly who he's talking about.

manomanoman... makes me laugh!

Not really a misread, but I think it fits the topic:

When I first heard the song "Castaway" by Green Day, and before I read the song title, I thought they were singing about Cadsuane Sedai. Some of the other lyrics actually fit. Too bad they weren't actually singing to her, that would've been amazing, if only because it would make no sense. Although sometimes, I like to pretend that's exactly what they are saying. Anyone who has heard the song will have to agree. Link below:

Regarding sword forms, I always picture them in my mind that they're announcing their moves as they're doing them like a bad kung fu movie or an episode of Power Rangers:

White Bearded Evil Guy (WBEG): You are no match for my Dragon Butt Fist!

Lovable Clumsy Hero (LCH): Ah, but you do not realize Lo Pan has taught me to use Kitty's Claw to counter your Butt Fist! KITTY CLAW ACTIVATE!

Regarding sword forms, I always picture them in my mind that they're announcing their moves as they're doing them like a bad kung fu movie or an episode of Power Rangers:

White Bearded Evil Guy (WBEG): You are no match for my Dragon Butt Fist!

Lovable Clumsy Hero (LCH): Ah, but you do not realize Lo Pan has taught me to use Kitty's Claw to counter your Butt Fist! KITTY CLAW ACTIVATE!

LoL. Yeah with bad lip sync and all.

I´ve always said AjAH, and Ajjel and Shaido I pronunced Shajdoo... but that´s more of misspronunciation and not a missread.

Funny. My first language is French, which oddly helped me pronounce most words correctly (Aiel, Aes Sedai and the like were never an issue for me), but I made other mistakes instead (I still think of Faile as "fail" . . .)

• 2 weeks later...

tam is pronounced like tom?? I have always in all my years of reading these books just assumed the name "tam" was said like damn, ham, sham etc but I've been listening some of the audiobooks recently and I heard one of the women pronouncing it like "tom" (same as thom merrilin)

is that right or do you just think sometimes the people reading take liberties with some of the pronunciations? I mean have many of you others ever pronounced it in your head as TOM al'thor?

Archived