DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 23: Wild Thing

We are heading back to the 1960s, and a song that was covered within the space of 6 months. The cover is definitely more famous than the original, but is it better in your eyes?

ORIGINAL: Jordan Christopher & The Wild Ones

The original was recorded in 1965, and released 6 months before the more famous version by The Troggs.

vs.

COVER: The Troggs

A very successful cover, the song reached number 1 in the US Billboard, and number 2 in the UK charts in 1966.

Voting ends Thursday 24th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

What a thumping win for The Troggs and Covers! 7-0 it is!

Time for the next song - and I wonder what special I can dig up for my birthday! You will have to wait until Monday for the next lot as I am back at home with my parents over the weekend - unless I can find some time to get online.

Song 24: Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Well, another two contrasting songs, as St. Etienne take on Neil Young in their cover of his song Only Love Can Break Your Heart.

ORIGINAL: Neil Young

The song was Neil Young's first solo single. It was released in 1970, and peaked at number 30 in the US charts. The song is praised as a "seemingly simple song which display(s) considerable attention to detail in the deployment of instruments."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4IDexjh-QE

vs.

COVER: St. Etienne

British group St. Etienne got their hands on the song in 1990. It is quite different to the original. The song, produced in under 2 hours, managed to get the group a record deal! The song peaked at number 39 in the UK charts, and is the groups only success in the top 100 on the US Billboard. 

Voting ends Friday 25th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Interesting...it is a 3-3 tie at the moment. I hadn't factored ties into this, so whoever votes next (and hasn't voted already), will decide the tie.

Thanks to Maj, I can scrap the above, and St. Etienne and Covers score a 4-3 win! Next tie on the way!

Song 25: Everywhere

A big thanks to Krak for suggesting another song, as it has made my life a bit easier tonight as I monitor the progress of my various fantasy football teams! Anyway, next up is song 25 - Everywhere.

ORIGINAL: Michelle Branch

This was the debut single from the American singer-songwriter. Released in 2001, peaking at number 12 in the US billboard, as well as scoring a few number 1s in the world. Branch's original version was used in the soundtrack of American Pie 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbqXRcbmGL8

vs.

COVER: Yellowcard

The punk band Yellowcard covered the song a year later in 2002. It is one of Yellowcard's most famous and well-received covers. Some of their music does feature a violin.

Voting ends Monday 28th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived