DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 32: Comfortably Numb

The second song of the continuing leg of this thread sees one of Britain's best rock groups take on some lively disco music from the States.

ORIGINAL: Pink Floyd

Voted number 314 on Rolling Stones' list of the Greatest 500 songs, Pink Floyd released this single in 1979 from the double album, The Wall. It is one of Pink Floyd's greatest songs, and is well known for its guitar solo. The song narrates a conversation between Pink and a doctor, with Waters voicing the doctor and Gilmour voicing Pink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY (just a fan made video)

vs.

COVER: Scissor Sisters

Scissor Sisters released their disco cover of the Pink Floyd classic in 2004. It reached number 10 in the UK charts, and features a falsetto vocal by lead singer Jake Shears. Members of Pink Floyd did like the cover version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdsuZEQ3aQ

Voting ends Monday 19th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

A comfortable 6-0 win for Pink Floyd and Originals.

We are now in the hands of mmeeshal - I'm looking forward to someone else's input into this! Time to wow us, mmeesh! ;)

And while I am at it, if you want to run next week (i.e 26th October to 1st November), please send me a PM or email. Thanks! :)

Song 33: What Hurts the Most

This round, we see a very popular U.S. country ballad face off against a bouncier dance cover.

ORIGINAL: Mark Wills

Mark Wills was the first artist to record the song, doing so on his 2003 album And the Crowd Goes Wild. Wills' rendition of the song, though never a single, peaked at #51 on the U.S. Hot Digital Songs charts in 2006 in the wake of Rascal Flatts' success with it.

(There was no official video made for this version, so that's why I have a fan-made Final Fantasy video linked)

vs.

COVER: Cascada

In 2007, the song was covered by the German dance group Cascada. It was released as the first single of their second album, Perfect Day. The single was first released in Sweden, peaking at #5. It was then released on December 4 in the US, December 10 in the UK (where it entered at #16 on downloads and went on to peak at #10), and finally released January 4 2008 in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOC9QcHnsBo

Voting ends Wednesday 21st October 2009 at 10pm (CDT)

Just updated all the relevant bits of this thread.

Now, Cascada gets my vote. I just found the original a bit bland, and I am guessing the inner clubber in me wanted to escape for a bit!

Song 34: See You Again

Well, I had a hard time deciding which song to put up.  I had a couple of really good options; I may ask to do another week, if no one else signs up. :D  However, I ended up deciding to pit pop music against punk.

ORIGINAL: Miley Cyrus

"See You Again" is a dance-pop song performed by American recording artist Miley Cyrus. It was released as the second international single from Cyrus's debut album, Hannah Montana 2/Meet Miley Cyrus on September 15, 2007. It reached international commercial success in 2008, reaching number ten on the United States chart Billboard Hot 100, number six on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart and reached its highest international peak on the Canadian Hot 100, at number four.

vs.

COVER: Breathe Carolina

Breathe Carolina, an Electronica/Screamo band from Denver, Colorado, covered Cyrus' song for the album Punk Goes Pop 2, released on March 10th, 2009.  This version has a catchy beat and neat synth elements.  It also features some light screaming vocals during part of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQrGY3MHkk

Voting ends Friday 23rd October 2009 at 11pm (CDT)

Is Miley Cyrus actually singing or mimming? It doesn't help the fact is pure tripe!

And the cover wasn't much better, to be honest. But I am gueesing it is sightly more listenable than Miley Cyrus, so Breathe Carolina gets my vote. I think an "abstain" would be better!

Archived