DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 30: One

And for the final song for September, I have picked two musical powerhouses - U2 and Johnny Cash.

ORIGINAL: U2

The original comes from the Irish rockers 1991 album, Achtung Baby. It was the third single from the album, and reached number 7 in the UK charts in 1992. The song is widely considered to be one of the band's greatest songs and is consistently featured in lists of the greatest songs of all-time.

vs.

COVER: Johnny Cash

I am not 100% sure when Johnny Cash covered One, but I believe the Country singer did it around 2002. A very different version to U2, but equally impressive. It's a lot simpler, as Cash reaches down into the soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQBrn6trEwI

Voting ends Thursday 1st October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Do you know what I realized, Corki?

Prince took all his music off of Youtube, so I never actually heard his song "Nothing Compares to You."  >.<  It was actually a different song, "Space and Time," by 009 Sound System.

>.<  You can't find a single video of Prince that has the actual song playing with it.

Song 31: Wonderwall

The first song of the continuing leg of this song sees one half of the Brit-pop battle of the 1990s, Oasis, take on American alt-country/rock singer-songwriter, Ryan Adams, with the song Wonderwall.

ORIGINAL: Oasis

This is one of the most successful singles ever, selling over 1m since its release in 1995, and is the 76th best ever selling single in the UK. It is one of Oasis' signature tunes, and was amazingly kept off top spot by Robson & Jerome's I Believe/Up on the Roof.

vs.

COVER: Ryan Adams

The rock feel that Oasis give their version has been removed by Adams, creating a song with a ballad affect. The cover was well received by Noel Gallacher. Adam's first performed his version in 2001, and has released it a couple of times since. It appears to be a popular version for TV programmes, appearing on Smallville, Cold Case, The O.C., Brothers & Sisters, Lie to Me and Holby City.

Voting ends Thursday 15th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in the "Original vs. Cover" thread counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 3 times during the month of October.

If you happen to run a week of "Original vs. Cover" during the month of October (and future months), that will count as an additional activity as well as your votes.

Corki

Marshal-General

ORG Leader

(Corki, you gonna change the title of the thread to reflect the current vote?)

Done, and thanks for the reminder!

I've added you onto the list of songs on the first page (see songs 33 and 34).

(Corki, you gonna change the title of the thread to reflect the current vote?)

Done, and thanks for the reminder!

I've added you onto the list of songs on the first page (see songs 33 and 34).

Aye aye, cap'n! :D

Archived