DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

Song 11: Can't Get You Out Of My Head

The 11th song is Can't Get You Out Of My Head, which features the Australian superstar Kyle Minogue as she battles the alternative (in just about every sense!) rockers, the Flaming Lips.

ORIGINAL: Kyle Minogue

Released in 2001, this song reached number 1 in a staggering 40 countries! It is a dance-pop song, and has come to symbolise a signature track by Kylie.

vs.

COVER: The Flaming Lips

Covered in 2002, the song gets the Flaming Lips treatment. While not scoring many hits, they are a critical acclaimed group. They do require a certain taste, especially with their earlier music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFREWbwgIMA

Voting ends Saturday 12th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice and easy one for the M-G, since I am a massive Flaming Lips fan, so they get my vote. I love the fact they have stripped bare a rather too complex song. It's extremely atmospheric, and an awesome cover.

Song 12: Adagio For Strings

I promised something different, and here it is. The world of Classical music takes on the dance/electronica world, as Samuel Barber's famous piece, Adagio for Strings gets a makeover. I can't find the full version by William Orbit (and I am avoiding the versions by DJ Tiesto and the like as they ruin the song totally), but what I have linked is the next best thing.

ORIGINAL: Samuel Barber

Barber's Adagio for Strings originated as the second movement in his String Quartet No. 1, Op. 11, composed in 1936. It is instantly recognisable for its weeping strings, and is definitely a classic of the Classical world of music.

vs.

COVER: Willaim Orbit

William Orbit is a British music producer, best known for working on Madonna's album Ray of Light. This version features on his album, Pieces in a Modern Style, which gives some world famous pieces a different feeel.

http://www.last.fm/music/William+Orbit/_/Barber%27s+Adagio+for+Strings (just click on the play button)

Voting ends Sunday 13th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I do like the William Orbit version (the full, unmixed version is good), but I am voting for the original by Samuel Barber.

Please Note: Until Friday 18th September, if you have any suggestions, include Direwolf Jon in the PM as well as I am away on holiday. Thanks!

Song 13: Rebel Yell

This is the first song that I've done here, and I thought a change was good.  Even though I have several suggestions that I could have used I found one that I already knew of. So today I'll introduce to you the battle of Rock.  This battle features a 80's idol...hah, Billy Idol that is as he faces off against an indie rock band that had a song featured in the original Fast and the Furious, Dope. 

ORIGINAL: Billy Idol

Idol's Rebel Yell was the first song on his self titled album that debuted in 1984.  It was a huge success in the UK, reaching number 6 on the charts, but it only reached number 46 in the US.  This has to be one of Idol's most well known songs.

vs.

COVER: Dope

Dope is an indie Rock band that was based out of New York, but is now more recently based out of Chicago.  They might not be well known, but they have done work that is out, including their song Debonaire which is featured in the original Fast and the Furious.  Their lead singer has done a lot of consulting work for ESPN and other networks, though by the looks of him, you'd never expect it. Here is a different sound to the 80s classic.

Voting ends Tuesday 15th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 14: Life is a Highway

Making another total U-Turn on the song front, we're going from Rock to Country music today as we look at a recent suggestion.  Both versions are well known, with the cover version being used in the Disney film Cars.  Without further adieu, let's get down to it. 

ORIGINAL: Tom Cochrane

Cochrane wrote this song back in 1991 on his Mad Mad World CD.  This song happened to be his biggest hit as it made #1 in Cochrane's native Canada, #1 in Australia and #6 on the US Billboard list.  He was inspired to write this album after taking a his family to West Africa to help raise awareness for famine relief.

vs.

COVER: Rascal Flatts

Rascal Flatts performed their cover of this song back in 2006 as part of the soundtrack to Disney's Cars movie. This version became a hit, but not to the extent of the original. While it hit #7 in the US twice, it never made the top 10 on another list.  This version has been big in the digital downloading side of music, which helped it clear that top 10 list in the US. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvsmRuRp4cM

Voting ends Wednesday 16th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived