DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefered the Yellowcard version.

And to answer Krak's point about my statement, I was doing this at midnight UK time...and bed was on my mind more!

Also, I will get us caught up tonight so songs 26, 27 and 28 will go up one after the other.

Right...I calculate that to be a 5-2 win for Michelle Branch, and another victory for Originals, who lead 14-11 as we head into the closing stages.

Please bear with me as I get the next 3 songs up to get us back on track.

Song 26: Big Yellow Taxi

I am pretty sure someone suggested this to me, but I cannot remember. The 26th song is Big Yellow Taxi, the original by Joni Mitchell, with the cover by Counting Crows.

ORIGINAL: Joni Mitchell

Released in 1970, it reached number 67 on the US Billboard. Inspiration for the folk song came while Mitchell was visiting Hawaii. The song moves from political views to personal views at the end. A live version was released in 1975, which charted at number 25.

vs.

COVER: Counting Crows

A popular song to be covered, Counting Crows did their version in 2003. The song also features Vanessa Charlton on backing vocals. The song is the groups only Top 20 success in the UK, as it peaked at number 13. The song also featured on the soundtrack to the film Two Weeks Notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTC6m-a3U9w

Voting ends Tuesday 29th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 27: I Will Survive

An absolute classic from the late 1970s gets a bit of a jazz makeover - it is I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor, covered by Cake.

ORIGINAL: Glora Gaynor

This is Gaynor's biggest hit, and was released in 1978. It is one of the most famous disco numbers, and everyone can sing along to the chorus. A firm favourite of the karaoke scene, The song's lyrics describe a narrator who finds personal strength while recovering from a breakup; it has often been used as an anthem of female empowerment, and HIV/AIDS awareness.

vs.

COVER: Cake

Released in 1996, Cake give the disco classic a jazz feel. It isn't as upbeat as Gaynor's original. She also ranks it as one of her least favourite covers, due to cake adding in a swear word - "I should have changed that stupid lock" to "I should have changed my fucking lock".

Song 28: I'm A Believer

One of the greatest pop songs ever goes face-to-face with a cover from one of the greatest animated movies of recent times. I am talking about the film Shrek, and the song is I'm A Believer by The Monkees.

ORIGINAL: The Monkees

The song was composed by Neil Diamond, and released by The Monkees in 1966. It topped the US Billboard right at the end of the year, and stayed there for 7 weeks. It became the biggest selling song of 1967, with over 1,051,280 copies shifting within two days of release! One of the great pop songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

vs.

COVER: Smash Mouth

Numerous groups have covered the song, but I have picked a more recent version. Shrek was a massive film, and this feel good song goes hand in hand with the film. While not a mainstream group of the rock scene, they are a critically acclaimed group, with the album Smash Mouth going gold.

26.  Joni Mitchell

I really, really like the Counting Crows version, but I loved how Joni raised and lowered octaves and used her beautiful voice effectively. 

27.  Gloria Gaynor

No question.  Blew Cake's version out of the water

28.  The Monkeys

I enjoyed the harmonizing and smooth sound over the pop-punk of Smashmouth

26. - Counting Crows.  I really like the folksy sound of Mitchell, but I think the CC's did a very good job of modernizing the song.

27. - Gloria Gaynor.  Cake is annoying.

28. - The Monkees.  I do like Smashmouth's version alot, but the Monkees were one of the many groups I was raised on. 

Song 26: I liked Counting Crows' cover, but Joni Mitchell's original was just right for the song!

Song 27: A no brainer - easily Gloria Gaynor!

Song 28: Again, I liked the cover - but you just can't beat a classic! The Monkees

Results are in, and here they are!

Song 26 saw Counting Crows and covers score a narrow 4-3 victory.

Song 27 saw Gloria Gaynor gain a comfortable 5-2 win.

Song 28 saw an easy victory for the Monkees as they won 6-1.

Time for Song 29.

Also, if you have the time, vote and comment in this thread to determine the future of this thread.

Song 29: Hazy Shade of Winter

With only a few songs to go until the end of the month, song 29 sees the all American girl rock band The Bangles take on the mighty duo that is Simon & Garfunkel.

ORIGINAL: Simon & Garfunkel

Written by Paul Simon, it was released in 1966, and appeared on their 1968 album Bookends. It peaked at number 13 on the US Billboard, and was the second best selling single from the album after the number 1 hit, Mrs. Robinson. The lyrics evoke the passage of the seasons, but (as the title suggests) focusing on the gloominess of winter.

vs.

COVER: The Bangles

The Bangles version was released in 1987, and was for the soundtrack to the 1987 film Less Than Zero. It is a harder-edged version than the original. It was also more successful on the charts, peaking at number 2 in the US Billboard. However, the verse from the original song that contained the line "drinking my vodka and lime" was removed due to pressure from the Bangles' record label.

Voting ends Wednesday 30th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived