DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 35: I Fought The Law

A popular song for being coverd, the original comes from the late 1950s, and then a punk-rock cover from the 1970s.

ORIGINAL: The Crickets

This was post Buddy Holly. A Texan group formed during the 1950s, they are a typical rock 'n' roll group from this period. A good bit of swing, and very easy listening.

vs.

COVER: The Clash

Along with the Bobby Fuller Four cover, the version by The Clash is probably one of the better known covers. The Clash merged punk-rock passion with rock and roll swagger, and sounds like the wailing of ragged outlaws on the run! Very different to the original.

Voting ends Thursday 29th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

The deadline went AWOL as I forgot about it (blame work) and then went away over the weekend. The next set will go up on Monday, which I will run.

EDIT: The Clash won by 4 votes to 3. Corki

Song 36: Blitzkreig Bop

Often considered the Punk Rock anthem, "Blitzkrieg Bop" opens with the chant "Hey! Ho! Let's go!". The song is popular at sporting events where "Hey! Ho! Let's go!" is sometimes shouted as a rallying cry.

ORIGINAL: The Ramones

Blitzkrieg Bop" is a song by punk rock band The Ramones. The band's inaugural single, it was released in April 1976 in the United States. It was recorded for and appeared as the lead track on the band's first album, Ramones, also released that month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FdJajqxmU

vs.

COVER: Green Day

Green Day covered this song along with "Teenage Lobotomy" at the 2002 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony for the remaining member of the Ramones, and regularly play the song live, sometimes getting kids out of the audience to play the song on their instruments.

Voting ends Saturday Nov. 7th 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived