DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

While I really like Cornells version, one of few good things he has done since he left Soundgarden, the original is such a classic, such a brilliant pop song that it is impossible for any version to come even close to it.

Michael Jackson all the way.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 7: Enjoy The Silence

Lacuna Coil, a metal group from Italy take on Depeche Mode, a heavyweight of the music world with Enjoy the Silence.

ORIGINAL: Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode are one of the most successful bands to appear from the 1980s, withforty-five songs in the UK Singles Chart and #1 albums in UK, US and throughout Europe, and selling over 100m records! Released in 1990, Enjoy the Silence is one of Depeche Mode's most successful and recognisable songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rdfFroO67g

vs.

COVER: Lacuna Coil

Enjoy the Silence is a popular song when it comes to covers. I have picked the cover by Lacuna Coil, the Italian metal group. It was their second single from the Karmacode album from 2006. It is probably a bit "heavier" than the original.

Voting ends Thursday 10th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 8: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Welsh singing diva Bonnie Tyler takes on a dance hall take of her classic, Total Eclipse of the Heart.

ORIGINAL: Bonnie Tyler

Sung by Welsh singer, Bonnie Tyler, it reached number 1 in a host of countries in 1983, shipping an incredible 60,000 copies a day. The full length song is 7 mminutes long. Bonnie Tyler has a really strong and powerful voice, and pulls off a great song.

vs.

COVER: Nicki French

Released in 1994, and then re-released in 1995 and 2006, Total Eclipse of the Heart gets the dance floor treatment. The 1995 release peaked at number 4 in the UK singles chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNQ2sPmLZk

Song 9: Umbrella

The RnB superstar Rihanna takes on Swedish rockers Lillasyster with the song Umbrella. Suggestion courtesy of Majsju.

ORIGINAL: Rihanna

RnB and rap mix for this song as Rihanna and Jay-Z combine forces. It was a massive chart success when released in 2007, topping charts in at least 9 countries, with an incredible 10 weeks at the top of the UK chart. In 4 years, she has sold over 12 million albums worldwide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlgAIwWDtg

vs.

COVER: Lillasyster

Formed in Gothenburg in 2004 under the name Rallypack, the group changed name in 2006. Umbrella was released in 2007, giving the song a rock feel while influences of the RnB original can be heard. For those interested, Lillyaster means "Little Sister" in Swedish (according to wikipedia!).

7. While I think the cover is quite good, much better than most of their own material I have heard, this is one of my favourite songs ever with Depeche Mode, so voting against them was not a possibility.

8. Not as easy as I first thought it would be. Ignoring how dated the eurodisco of the cover is, it definitly does the job for the dancefloor.

But ultimately, Bonnie Tylers voice is hard to get around, it is so good in this song.

9. Ok, I really liked Rihannas original when it was new, and while it has suffered fro overexposure, I still enjoy listening to it once in a while.

Lillasysters cover however, it is so spot on. Where most metalbands would have been tempted to go for a more straight forwards version, they successfully keep the groove. Very much along the lines of how I think a good cover should be done: cut into the original with a chainsaw, and see what comes out once the dust settles. So, Lillasyster it is.

7. I like both versions, and there isn't much to choose between the two songs. However, I am leaning heavier on the Lacuna Coil side.

8. Nice and easy - Bonnie Tyler. Brilliant vocals. A good effort from the dancehall filler though.

9. I like this song - except for the chorus. Whenever I hear the "Umbrella, Ella, Ella" part, it drives me mad! I hate it! Despite thinking the Lillasyster did a good job, my money is with Rihanna.

Right...time for the results.

Song 7: Well, a win for Covers as Lacuna Coil win by 2 votes to 1.

Song 8: An easy 3-0 win for Bonnie Tyler and Originals.

Song 9: Another win for originals, as Rihanna beats Lillasyster by 2 votes to 1.

Now time for the 10th song.

Song 10: Time After Time

Next up is Cyndi Lauper's commercial success, Time After Time, and the Jazz-style cover by Cassandra Wilson.

ORIGINAL: Cyndi Lauper

Lauper's most successful song was released in 1984 and peaked at number 3 in the UK Charts. A popular song for being covered, the ballad is considered a classic from the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ5LmQmQZqg

vs.

COVER: Cassandra Wilson

Cassandra Wilson a Jazz Grammy Award winning artist, who has given the Lauper a jazzy make over.

Voting ends Friday 11th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived