DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

Aww Jani, I love the song! (that a vote for Birdy?)

Yeah Brandie, my brother showed me her, she has some seriously awesome taste in music.   :)

You should check out her version of Skinny Love.

Oh yeah, I'm going with The National.    I love that song so much, and as awesome as Birdy is, their awesomely semi-chilled/epic/ambient weird thing they've got going on is too irresistable.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hmm, well, that do be a tie!

Song 201: Singin' In The Rain    Gene Kelly-- vs. Jamie Cullum

I have the feeling that this may well just turn into a battle between musical fans and jazz fans...

Singin' In The Rain

Possibly one of the most oversung, (yet still amazing) songs in existence, with music and lyrics by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown, Singin' In The Rain was written in 1929, and performed by various artists for a period afterwards, but the song is best known and loved for its appearance in the 1952 musical of the same name, starring Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds. The song was sung and danced by the marvellous Gene Kelly and has been covered time and time again, notably by Jamie Cullum on his 2003 album Twentysomething.

Gene Kelly (Original-ish) vs. Jamie Cullum (Cover)

Incidentally, Gene Kelly performed this during the daytime with a giant rain machine and a very high fever...

Gah, just got distracted looking at Gene Kelly dance videos on youtube. Anyway...

vs.

Couldn't be more different to Gene if he tried.

Alright, I'll be interested to see the responses to this. 

• 2 weeks later...

XD Who doesn't oversing Singin' In The Rain?

For example, my garden is currently very nearly flooding with the extensive rain going on right now and all I wanna do is sing that song.   XD

I am so with you on this...I feel like singing this when going into work when it is raining, and doing the dance..

Anyway, Gene Kelly all the way!

Well that was an astounding 7-0 victory for Gene Kelly, thanks to all that voted!!

This time, your options are:

Song 202: Imagine    John Lennon-- vs. Jack Johnson

Ok, this is very nearly blasphemy for me, but I’m going to have to drag Imagine down from its song-legend immortality status and put it against the mere mortal Jack Johnson’s cover, because it's a damn good cover!

Imagine

'Imagine' is in my opinions one of the most beautiful songs ever composed, with lyrics that urge the listener to imagine a world of peace and beauty. I find a lot of comfort and also a few things worth a debate in the lyrics of former Beatle John Lennon's song, composed by him in 1971 and recorded with Phil Spector, after the Beatles had broken up. Lennon claims the lyrics come from his wife Yoko Ono's book 'Grapefruit'.  

Enjoying a status as one of the most enjoyed songs of all time, Imagine has been covered several many times by various artists, this time by singer/guitarist Jack Johnson.

John Lennon (Original) vs. Jack Johnson (Cover)

The timeless original...

vs.

The fabulous Jack Johnson.

It's a big deal for me to even be able to have something up against Imagine for comparison, so you all should know how much I like the cover from the fact that I posted them. Ok, start voting!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived