DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 197: Tainted Love--Gloria Jones vs. Soft Cell

Thank you all so much for the activity on the last vote!!! You guys made me smile! Let's see if you can do it again with the next vote-Jones or Soft Cell?

Tainted Love

The original came out in 1964, but the song has been popular since then through covers, first by Soft Cell, and then by Marilyn Manson. This vote is only going to deal with the first two (although I think I like the Manson version best, myself :wink:).

Gloria Jones (Original) vs. Soft Cell (Cover)

Gloria Jones? Yes, no, maybe?

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWrLhgiX74

The famous, or rather infamous Soft Cell version. Gotta love that video clip. XD

Alrighty, let's hear some opinions in here!!

Well, being old enough to remember Soft Cell, I was about 5 at the time, that is the version I have an immediate connection with. And to be honest I thought THAT was the original and the Marylin Manson version was a cover of that :S. And I agree that the MM version is much better as the metal sound gives it much more of a 'Tainted' feel.

But onto these two... It has to be Soft Cell and Marc Almond, not only because it is the one reminding me of my childhood, more to do with the fact the Gloria Jones one had me thinking of another 60's song 'My Guy' I think it was. It sounds very similar in the intro.

So my vote goes to... (Unnecessary drum roll)... Soft Cell

Never heard the Gloria Jones version before this.... but it has got to be Soft Cell. Love that song. Man, BB we're such dags for listening to these types of songs when everyone else is...uh popping and dubbing. You know what? That just makes us more epic than our generation.

Never knew the Soft Cell recording was a COVER! I always hated that song!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Can't stress it enough: it is repellent. OMG, they RUINED a really nice song!)

My vote goes to:

GLORIA JONES

Hmm, well, that's ended up as a tie, 3-3 with no decisive winner...

Maybe the next post will get you a clear winner. :wink:

Song 197: Istanbul (Not Constantinople)--The Four Lads vs. They Might Be Giants

Well well, will we recover from a tie with this one? Which do you prefer? The slower original from the Four Lads, or the klezmer-y They Might Be Giants cover?

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

The change of names between Constantinople and Istanbul was the source material for this hilaaaaarious song, and the comedy lasted long enough for the song to have survived through covered versions from its genesis in '53 to the time of the famed They Might Be Giants cover in 1990 and beyond. :)

The Four Lads (Original) vs. They Might Be Giants (Cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vankaSlfSr0

The smooth crooning of the Four Lads...

vs.

Or is gypsy more your style? That accordion and that violin...

Alrighty, let's hear some opinions in here!!

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!

But, the Four Lads didn't write the original: they stole it from Irving Berlin!

Here's a video of Fred Astaire performing the song. You can hear the melody at 0:47 minutes.

Ha ha, they just stole a bit, Jani, but you have to admit, the lyrics make the song XD...can you just imagine that kooky time signature re-invented with the They Might Be Giants harmonies and klezmer and The Four Lads lyrics...with Fred Astaire's smooth moves... I think I'm in heaven :)

He he, They Might Be Giants are definitely winning!! Keep them votes coming guys!

Song 197: Flume--Bon Iver vs. Peter Gabriel

Well we've had a tie and a unanimous vote so far, what about this one?

Flume

This song is so wonderfully ambient, from Bon Iver's 2007 album, 'For Emma'. The cover by Peter Gabriel is decidedly more epic in proportions, off his album, 'Scratch My Back' in which he took a number of popular songs (a few of which I'll be posting here :p) and turned their instrumentation into orchestration, making some of the most amazing covers I have ever heard. He made this album with the proviso that the artists he covered would all do their on cover of a Peter Gabriel song, though I'm yet to hear news of that.

Bon Iver (Original) vs. Peter Gabriel (Cover)

The inimitable tone of the wonderful Bon Iver...

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTjmIHqW7A

Ah, that brass backing up Peter Gabriel's lovely voice...I can never truly word how much I love french horns...

He he, Bon Iver vs. Peter Gabriel, that just sounds so good!

Time for some voting people!!!

Archived