DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Song 198: L.O.V.E--Nat King Cole vs. Michael Buble

Well Gabriel won the last one 2-1, maybe this could be a bit harder?

L.O.V.E

Originally Nat King Cole's innovation from 1964, everybody knows the catchy tune of L.O.V.E. It's a standard jazz number found in every big band's repetoire, always a favourite, and a fun song to sing, play and listen to. There have been many covers of this song, but I picked a current favourite of mine from the Canadian swinger Michael Buble.

Nat King Cole (Original) vs. Michael Buble (Cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-wF4Lge7M

Nat King Cole's wonderful original...

vs.

Brass and double bass! And that great key change in there...

Alrighty people let's get your votes in on this one, and I promise not to leave this thread so neglected ever again!!

You know, I want to say Nat King Cole, because it's so classy and crisp. No extra fluff.

And then I listen to the Michael Buble version. It sounds awesome, but it is so typical Buble. It almost... overdoes it, but it's so pretty.

Vote Nat King Cole. No extra fluff, and I like it like that.

Thanks for the votes guys!

And I don't believe I've heard Harry Connick Jr's version Manny... *potters off to search her itunes*

There are a heap of great covers I've heard of this song just by mates from around various camps and things, it's a shame that awesome amateur ones that are really good are never recorded. :(

...And I don't believe I've heard Harry Connick Jr's version Manny... *potters off to search her itunes*

Don't exhaust yourself with that search darlin'. I don't think Harry's recorded that song (I may be wrong). I was referring to the "Swing, Big Band, Traditional Pop" style, more than this song specifically.

Song 199: Outkast ~ Hey Ya! vs Queen ~ We Will Rock You!

Ahoy Lubbers! I'm The Bard Babe's lovely assistant Auld Manriva or more commonly known (an' I'm nuthin' if not common) as Manny. Her Beautiousness, The Bard Babe and Herself Jeannaisais our magnificent MG have agreed to allow me to change up things here just a bit on occasion and wouldn't ya' know it .. this is just such an occasion.

Over the past several years "Mashups" have become quite the thing among DJ's and other scrubs who think they're DJ's ... wannabe's for all love! Some of these are quite well done in both concept and production. Others; not so much. So, I'm going to try, with these occasional forays into change, NOT to use the ones I'd deem, not so much and stick to well done Mashups.

Hey Ya! vs We Will Rock You! is done by a Norwegian DJ known as DJ Prince. Dude's got it goin' on .. at least in my opinion but let's hear YOUR opinions! Take into account Concept, Execution, and whatever other criteria you would add, such as "THIS is Sacreledge! How could he mix (your fave here) with THAT travesty?" .. you get the idea. Give us a Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN and any other comment you'd add.

Here We GO!

• 1 month later...

Song 200: Terrible Love    The National-- vs. Birdy

So, I doubt anyone's going to know either version of this song, but you all should, so listen!

Terrible Love

Terrible Love is a song by The National from their album High Violet (2010). The National have the great instrumentation and low voices, compared to the cover by British schoolgirl come singer Birdy.

The National (Original) vs. Birdy (Cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9IDKOisOg

Low, growly voiced awesomeness of The National...

vs.

And a beautiful voice that couldn't be more different: Birdy. 

Alright, let's hear some opinions! 

(Sorry I've not posted for ages, I kinda forgot...damn RL)

Archived