DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minecraft

ValiantLovesWoT

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gah i feel like such a newb.

when you spawn into a server does it carry over items from any games you have saved in the Single Player game, or are you just nilla lvl 0?

if its a shared world ... do resources replenish or are they gone once taken?

whats a pvp??

I use both skype and mumble when I play on the server. Skype for the people in my town and mumble for other people on the server. lol

mumble?? so this means that everyone on the server talks at once like your in a big office??

ooo i like a town type economy with player ran shops.

• Community Administrator

Mumble is another application like skype, teamspeak, or vent.

http://www.mumble.com/

on a server, you start from scratch on said server. Any times you get on another server, stay with that server. The data for your character, on that server, is saved to the server, and not your computer. (generally)

PvP = Player Versus Player.

Meaning you can kill each other, either intentionally, or by accident.

when you spawn into a server does it carry over items from any games you have saved in the Single Player game, or are you just nilla lvl 0?

if its a shared world ... do resources replenish or are they gone once taken?

whats a pvp??

I use both skype and mumble when I play on the server. Skype for the people in my town and mumble for other people on the server. lol

mumble?? so this means that everyone on the server talks at once like your in a big office??

ooo i like a town type economy with player ran shops.

Nope when you spawn on a server you usually start with nothing. If you join the server I'm talking with you start with some stone tools.

Resources do not replenish once they are taken. I wouldn't really worry about this since there are a lot of resources, however if its necessary I can regen certain parts of the map or even start a new one.

PVP is Player vs Player fighting. Which can be fun from time to time. We also have pvp ranks on the server. They don't really get you much except for bragging rights really.

As for mumble yeah everyone can talk to each other if they are logged into the mumble server. It can be silly at times though lol.

Yeah I kinda like the idea of player run shops as well but I need to find a way to get it to work so that people can't cheat and get free items. So I am going to be looking around for different plugins.

It's ok Red

Minecraft is a wonderful magical place for you right now

Enjoy it

No one is going to make fun of you

or are you just nilla lvl 0?

Just so you know, the levels are for enchanting your armor and tools

Let's say you are level 1 and you have an enchanting table

You can spend that 1 level and put it on an axe to make it cut wood faster

In that way your level is somewhat meaningless and fluctuates

Before you have an enchanting table your levels don't really have a function

Max enchanting level is 30 btw

It's ok Red

Enjoy it

New to this discussion, been playing since 1.8

Some people will make fun of you, I'll bet they're the lame greifers with no imagination. What is everyone's best creation in-game?

What is everyone's best creation in-game?

I haven't built much that's noteworthy tbh

I usually don't keep a map for longer than a couple months

I did build a nice glass pyramid back when I first played Minecraft that I liked a lot

That was around the 7th secret friday update I think

It had a tree in the center with flowers all around it :)

on a server, you start from scratch on said server. Any times you get on another server, stay with that server. The data for your character, on that server, is saved to the server, and not your computer. (generally)

um yeah, not so good at combat so i'll likely be staying away from places i can be PKd. :unsure:

with the mumble and other talk apps. how much resources does it take from your pc to run? right nwo, cause my pc is older and only has abotu 1MB of Ram i can only run Minecraft and have to do the trick: task manager > javaw.exe > set priorities > Above Normal and run the game on my desktop through Game Booster to get it running smoothly.

will running Skype. i tried running a playlist on Youtube the other night while playing and the game went glitch and spaz tastic. i can however have my opera broswer open to the Minecraft wiki and the game will run smooth.

another problem is my computre likes to freeze entirely about 3 or 4 hours into game play. i dont mind this, as its forcing me to realize what time it is and keeps me from turning zombie :laugh: but its another problem that i might have for co-opting in this game.

Nope when you spawn on a server you usually start with nothing. If you join the server I'm talking with you start with some stone tools.

Resources do not replenish once they are taken. I wouldn't really worry about this since there are a lot of resources, however if its necessary I can regen certain parts of the map or even start a new one.

PVP is Player vs Player fighting. Which can be fun from time to time. We also have pvp ranks on the server. They don't really get you much except for bragging rights really.

As for mumble yeah everyone can talk to each other if they are logged into the mumble server. It can be silly at times though lol.

Yeah I kinda like the idea of player run shops as well but I need to find a way to get it to work so that people can't cheat and get free items. So I am going to be looking around for different plugins.

how do you stop people from just randomly killing others? is there an option to exclude yourself fromt hsi or soemthign you can set so peopel know you want no part of it? i'm not much into PKing tbh (sorry using a term from the .hack//GU series i play alot. PK = Player Killer, PKK = Player Killer Killers)

yeah, the thing with the player run or evem NPC shops is theft (like in games like Oblivion or Fable) it woudl be awesome to be part of though.

It's ok Red

Enjoy it

aw thanks Nol *grins*

enchanting o.0 ooo that sounds fun. right now i'm just having fun exploring and minning. i've got 4 whole emeralds, cause the mine shaft i found is beast!! still no diamonds though :laugh: i've also got an Ender pearl ... and a slime ball whatever those are for (the Slime ball, not the Ender pearl, i knwo what thats for *nods*)

i've also got another house with an indoor farm *squees* but the trees i planted wont grow, so i've got to figure that out so i can mine those for Timber without going above ground. i was thinking on installing a skylight above the farm with glass and then building a wall 4 or 5 blocks high to prevent goons from creepign in. i've even got a natural lake under in the cave below that i have blocked off from the goons and a natural spring at the farm from the ocean. only problem with the cave hosue is that every so often crap will spawn in it, even though its sealed off and lit well. i think their comming from my spring though.

so the lvl and experience you earn are for enchanting? i got to 36 the other night before dieing. one of those Elders, i had almost killed him he spawned out of the area, so after waiting 6 or so minutes to see if he'd come back i started to exit the part i was in and go back to my house and the flamming creature spawned right behind me and killed me before i could react.

i found the best way to kill those is to dig a hole striaght back (2 blocks tall and 3 or 4 blocks back and just use the hit/retreat method. i've killed 4 of them that way *nods*

that one i was talkign abotu, relaly irked me though. lost all the crap i was carrying cause i coudln't get back to the area in time.

Some people will make fun of you, I'll bet they're the lame greifers with no imagination. What is everyone's best creation in-game?

best creation right now. i have two houses about a half a days travel from eachother, so i'm in the process of excavating a tunnel from one house to the other to travel between them without getting lost and without going above ground. so i'm rather proud of that. i'm only 1/2 way through with it.

one i've finished was successfully creating an indoor farm in my cave house, complete with natural water source *grins* right now its just wheat, mushrooms and sugar cane, i'll have trees once i get them to grow, but eventually i'll be adding more when i get the seeds. i've got room to expand if need be. i actually walled off half the natrual caveren i'm living in, so i'm hoping to be able to lurer pigs and cows and chickens into the house and house them in the other section so i have farmable livestock. i'm good with bread and have stocked up on food for the time being though.

another thing i'm proud of is how i'm exploring the caves and stuff. i'll explore one branch completely then wall it off, and i excavate the pathways i'm keeping to make them very man made looking for easier navigation. i've gotten lost 2 or 3 times, but have always found my way back eventually before dying of hunger. i've learne to use mushrooms for bread crumbing. takes longer the way i do it, but its safer and easier to recall where to pick up.

My boys play Minecraft; my 13yo especially. The zombies sound scary and the noise his character makes while eating watermelon is almost as scary! LOL! He has really evidenced his creative side with this game. He got kicked off of one server for supposedly griefing someone (after reporting someone for griefing) but he is the last person to grief anyone because he hates with passion being at the receiving end of griefing. After that, he found another server to play on, then got whitelisted onto a friend's server. The friend's server (uses tekkit) has very few people on it (most of the kids on it got a lifetime ban for griefing) but he really likes the mod packs (or whatever they are called). Tekkit, BTW, was an ordeal to download; the Windows version didn't work! I had to download the Linus version on my Windows computer to get tekkit to work.

The other is just a basic server, I guess. He's in a mining faction on that one. He pretty much lives for the game . . . *sigh* He has, however, been really good about getting his homework done so he can get on the game as soon as possible. :laugh:

My boys play Minecraft; my 13yo especially. The zombies sound scary and the noise his character makes while eating watermelon is almost as scary! LOL! He has really evidenced his creative side with this game. He got kicked off of one server for supposedly griefing someone (after reporting someone for griefing) but he is the last person to grief anyone because he hates with passion being at the receiving end of griefing. After that, he found another server to play on, then got whitelisted onto a friend's server. The friend's server (uses tekkit) has very few people on it (most of the kids on it got a lifetime ban for griefing) but he really likes the mod packs (or whatever they are called). Tekkit, BTW, was an ordeal to download; the Windows version didn't work! I had to download the Linus version on my Windows computer to get tekkit to work.

The other is just a basic server, I guess. He's in a mining faction on that one. He pretty much lives for the game . . . *sigh* He has, however, been really good about getting his homework done so he can get on the game as soon as possible. :laugh:

Yeah lol I know there are a few young ones on the server I admin for. I look out for them the best I can when some people are on.

Davrick, maybe I'll send my boys your way. They currently share a Minecraft account but my youngest usually spends more time in the game. I'd tell you the username so you could keep an eye out but I can't remember exactly what it is!

Red: Slime balls serve two purposes. You can mix them with Blaze Powder to create Magma Cream (Which you can get naturally from Magma Cubes in the Nether) which you can use to make Fire Resist potions. Or you can slap them on a Piston and make a Sticky Piston which is used for various Redstone contraptions.

Kinda hard to get an end chest when the bastards steal your diamonds :dry:

Actually I'm not too upset about that

It was just a diamond pick and 1 diamond

What actually bugged me was they left all the iron gear I'd enchanted on the ground to despawn

It's like ok steal or leave it but why are you going to waste it?

um yeah, not so good at combat so i'll likely be staying away from places i can be PKd. :unsure:

with the mumble and other talk apps. how much resources does it take from your pc to run? right nwo, cause my pc is older and only has abotu 1MB of Ram i can only run Minecraft and have to do the trick: task manager > javaw.exe > set priorities > Above Normal and run the game on my desktop through Game Booster to get it running smoothly.

will running Skype. i tried running a playlist on Youtube the other night while playing and the game went glitch and spaz tastic. i can however have my opera broswer open to the Minecraft wiki and the game will run smooth.

another problem is my computre likes to freeze entirely about 3 or 4 hours into game play. i dont mind this, as its forcing me to realize what time it is and keeps me from turning zombie :laugh: but its another problem that i might have for co-opting in this game.

how do you stop people from just randomly killing others? is there an option to exclude yourself fromt hsi or soemthign you can set so peopel know you want no part of it? i'm not much into PKing tbh (sorry using a term from the .hack//GU series i play alot. PK = Player Killer, PKK = Player Killer Killers)

yeah, the thing with the player run or evem NPC shops is theft (like in games like Oblivion or Fable) it woudl be awesome to be part of though.

It's ok Red

Enjoy it

aw thanks Nol *grins*

enchanting o.0 ooo that sounds fun. right now i'm just having fun exploring and minning. i've got 4 whole emeralds, cause the mine shaft i found is beast!! still no diamonds though :laugh: i've also got an Ender pearl ... and a slime ball whatever those are for (the Slime ball, not the Ender pearl, i knwo what thats for *nods*)

i've also got another house with an indoor farm *squees* but the trees i planted wont grow, so i've got to figure that out so i can mine those for Timber without going above ground. i was thinking on installing a skylight above the farm with glass and then building a wall 4 or 5 blocks high to prevent goons from creepign in. i've even got a natural lake under in the cave below that i have blocked off from the goons and a natural spring at the farm from the ocean. only problem with the cave hosue is that every so often crap will spawn in it, even though its sealed off and lit well. i think their comming from my spring though.

so the lvl and experience you earn are for enchanting? i got to 36 the other night before dieing. one of those Elders, i had almost killed him he spawned out of the area, so after waiting 6 or so minutes to see if he'd come back i started to exit the part i was in and go back to my house and the flamming creature spawned right behind me and killed me before i could react.

i found the best way to kill those is to dig a hole striaght back (2 blocks tall and 3 or 4 blocks back and just use the hit/retreat method. i've killed 4 of them that way *nods*

that one i was talkign abotu, relaly irked me though. lost all the crap i was carrying cause i coudln't get back to the area in time.

best creation right now. i have two houses about a half a days travel from eachother, so i'm in the process of excavating a tunnel from one house to the other to travel between them without getting lost and without going above ground. so i'm rather proud of that. i'm only 1/2 way through with it.

one i've finished was successfully creating an indoor farm in my cave house, complete with natural water source *grins* right now its just wheat, mushrooms and sugar cane, i'll have trees once i get them to grow, but eventually i'll be adding more when i get the seeds. i've got room to expand if need be. i actually walled off half the natrual caveren i'm living in, so i'm hoping to be able to lurer pigs and cows and chickens into the house and house them in the other section so i have farmable livestock. i'm good with bread and have stocked up on food for the time being though.

another thing i'm proud of is how i'm exploring the caves and stuff. i'll explore one branch completely then wall it off, and i excavate the pathways i'm keeping to make them very man made looking for easier navigation. i've gotten lost 2 or 3 times, but have always found my way back eventually before dying of hunger. i've learne to use mushrooms for bread crumbing. takes longer the way i do it, but its safer and easier to recall where to pick up.

I love the way that eventually your mine, no matter how natural-looking, becomes a part of your memory. I'm a big fan of strip-mining, it works really well for me. If you're trees aren't growing, either the area you have for them (needs to be 10+ blocks big) is too small, or too narrow (around 4-5 blocks radius) or you haven't got enough light. easier than a skylight is just placing torches around the saplings.

Tekkit is great. It gave me many more hours of gameplay on minecraft, and it has a great simulation of power, supply and demand. I didn't have your problem with tekkit, but I loathe the difficulty that comes with running a server. Until the last update, I ran a server for my friends and brother, but Minecraft has hit the point where I cannot host and play on the same computer. Phooey. The bukkit software is brilliant for server hosting.

Archived