DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minecraft

ValiantLovesWoT

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't see the appeal of this game at all. I've watched my little brother play it and it looks boring as shit. IMO

Yeah, it looks very primitive if you're spectating. It also does become boring.

You have to invent your own goals, there's no objective. Once you reach those goals (for me, building a skytrap) it becomes pointless to continue, bar starting over.

Last time I played was 1.3_01. There's been nothing to draw me back. By the time this game is properly released, interest may have waned considerably.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news for 360 fans!

One of the stories out of Microsoft's E3 press conference was that the cult hit was coming to the system with Kinect controls. Now original Minecraft developer Markus "Notch" Persson has revealed the developer, and possibly that the title is coming to XBLA.

Scotland's 4J Studios (PS3 version of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) will be handling the conversion of the game, which comes out before the end of this year.

Said Notch on Twitter, "Oh neat, I can announce the team implementing Minecraft for Xbox360! Part of their team made State of Emergency!" He followed that up with, "They ported Oblivion to PS3 and Perfect Dark to Xbox360! It's 4J Studios." He also included a link to 4J's Wikipedia page, which lists the game for XBLA.

4J has also worked on the Banjo-Kazooie XBLA ports, so this could indicate the Wiki entry is true. Also, the studio's familiarity with the platform will no doubt help their cause.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of people not seeing minecraft at first brush... I love watching people on youtube play it for the first time.

It starts off (generally) with people bashing it, or not expecting it to amount to anything... and then they are almot intantly addicted. :biggrin:

Anyone watch the Yogscast(YTC: BlueXephos)? They have a Minecraft series that starts with them just playing it, but gradually morphs into a huge multiplayer world where people et up the world locations, stories, and characters, and they play through them like a game. It should also be noted that Simon and Lewis are hilarious. You'll laugh if you have any humor at all. If you want to start the series, Ep. One is below. Just remember that the first few are them getting Lewis situated and learning to play... the series now gets about half a million to a million and a half views per episode (some almost 2 million), so if my word isn't enough....

They do lots of Minecraft maps as well. They have lots of WoW vids up (some "how to"s which often turn into "how not to"s :biggrin: )

You could also check out CaptainSparklez (that is the YTC name), who is currently working on a huge minecraft map with the members of the VoxelBox (amazing redstone geeks, as well as builders) and is posting videos about ome of the build they are making. He too plays some player made maps.

They all make update videos for MC, if you want to stay updated. If you are more technical and want build advice/ideas, check out the latter's newer vids. He has a few Redstone basics out for people who want to know about alternators, and latches and such. If you want a laugh, check out the former.

Okay, I'm done shamelessly plugging for these guys. :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Community Administrator

It would start getting really slow and choppy and eventually it would just freeze.

Alot of that has to do with the fact that Minecraft is java based. It may have more to do with the memory available on your pc (memory = ram, not hard drive space) than with... hdd - hard drive.

Do you play it on the website, or did you dl it to your pc? (They use similar, but different methods... If yoru using your browser, try downloading it. As the browser its self, uses more memory than the downloaded version.

Archived